Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jiE

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2007
Hello. My Macbook Pro 3.1 2.2 ghz Santa rosa is about two years old now.
I just read something about the faulty 8600 card and the extended period of guarantee..

Is there a way to force the 8600 chip to die, so that I make sure it does not die when im out of warranty on it?

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I've heard many have had success by drizzling a little water in it. The microwave idea is just silly. :rolleyes:

PAC88

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2009
if it's working fine now then I wouldn't bother with it. If you're worried then sell it on ebay and get a new one with 9600.. Because even if they replace the part, who's to say the new one doesn't have the same or worse problems

edit: also.. it could take you a year or more to make it die, and then by the time you finally get it to go they won't cover it.

macjunk(ie)

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
I had the same concern....someone told me to make it work hard and fast...like play games on it...

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
You'd want to task it for a fair amount of time repeatedly. You'll want to push it the. Let it idle then push it all over again. Unless you game though or task it over and over you may never see failure.

Vikz

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2007
San Juan, Puerto Rico
if i were you I would not run my luck. Because the service diagnostic that apple uses in order to verify the GPU is bound by serial number of the GPU so if you have a Serial number of the non affected cards they is no way they can pass it through the Nvidia issue even though it show all the signs that its the GPU. Believe me, I have seen it first hand when people come for the logic to be replace and the test says system not supported!

Sneakz

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
if i were you I would not run my luck. Because the service diagnostic that apple uses in order to verify the GPU is bound by serial number of the GPU so if you have a Serial number of the non affected cards they is no way they can pass it through the Nvidia issue even though it show all the signs that its the GPU. Believe me, I have seen it first hand when people come for the logic to be replace and the test says system not supported!
That shouldn't be an issue because Apple list the specific products affected and he has one the models affected.
MacBook Pro (17-Inch, 2.4GHz)
MacBook Pro (15-Inch, 2.4/2.2GHz)
MacBook Pro (Early 2008)

electroshock

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
Knowing my luck, it'd release the magic blue smoke a month after my three years are up, heh. Someone's suggested using a keyboard cover since it helps to trap heat... Not quite the thermal cycling that's needed, but a starting point.

macjunk(ie)

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
You'd want to task it for a fair amount of time repeatedly. You'll want to push it the. Let it idle then push it all over again. Unless you game though or task it over and over you may never see failure.

so maybe its a good idea not to push the MBP so that it could last for a really loong time ??

jiE

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2007
I dont really ever game on it. Watch alot of movies and take a bunch of notes and typing etc.. Guess ill just sell it after 3 years, if its still working at the time :)

thank you all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.