Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 27, 2009, 04:44 PM   #1
CarboysDesire
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Las Vegas
Connecting iPhone 3GS to TV

I ordered an audio/video cable online with the hopes that I could watch my videos that are on my iPhone on my television. It didn't work. I can hear the audio, but see no video.



This is the cable. Has anyone else been able to connect to a TV and watch videos?
CarboysDesire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2009, 04:47 PM   #2
Chris.L
macrumors 6502a
 
Chris.L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK
This Apple KB Article will explain why that cable didn't work and what you need to do to achieve your goal
__________________
New to forums?
Chris.L is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2009, 04:49 PM   #3
Interstella5555
macrumors 603
 
Interstella5555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
you need the proprietary cable for the 3GS from Apple I believe.
Interstella5555 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2009, 04:55 PM   #4
OhioLefty
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarboysDesire View Post
I ordered an audio/video cable online with the hopes that I could watch my videos that are on my iPhone on my television. It didn't work. I can hear the audio, but see no video.



This is the cable. Has anyone else been able to connect to a TV and watch videos?
I am by no stretch of the imagination an audio/video expert. Just looking at that cable and assuming that your only option with just that cable was to plug it into the iPhone headphone jack (which I think only produces audio out), how would you expect to see any video?

Right now, I think the only option if you have version 3.0 firmware or later on your iPhone, is to purchase an Apple certified cable.

Just curious, what was that cable advertised to work with?
OhioLefty is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2009, 05:21 PM   #5
Interstella5555
macrumors 603
 
Interstella5555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioLefty View Post
I am by no stretch of the imagination an audio/video expert. Just looking at that cable and assuming that your only option with just that cable was to plug it into the iPhone headphone jack (which I think only produces audio out), how would you expect to see any video?

Right now, I think the only option if you have version 3.0 firmware or later on your iPhone, is to purchase an Apple certified cable.

Just curious, what was that cable advertised to work with?
Well it does have the Video cable coming out of it (Yellow). Looks like an older cable for iPod video or something.
Interstella5555 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2009, 05:24 PM   #6
CarboysDesire
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Las Vegas
Good question!

I've been searching through my e-mail trying to find a copy of my order and the site I ordered it from. It's been a while so I'm not having luck.

BUT, I just tried using the cable with my 5th Generation Ipod and it works. I don't know why I hadn't tried that before. I can play the videos on my Ipod on my TV. So it's possible the cables was intended for that only.

I thought I could use the Iphone 3GS dock that I bought (from Apple) and plug into the LINE OUT port in the back of it. I guess that was a wrong assumption on my part since the link provided by the other responder above has a statement that reads:

"Important: The iPhone dock does not support TV out."

I tried plugging directly into the iPhone as well and that also did not work.


So it looks like I need to read more of that linked page to figure out what cable I need.

But now that I know it works with my Ipod at least I know I didn't waste the $1.99 that I believe it cost, LOL. I should have known something so cheap wasn't going to do what I wanted it to do!


Thanks for your quick replies!
CarboysDesire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2009, 05:37 PM   #7
Cask
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarboysDesire View Post
Good question!

I've been searching through my e-mail trying to find a copy of my order and the site I ordered it from. It's been a while so I'm not having luck.

BUT, I just tried using the cable with my 5th Generation Ipod and it works. I don't know why I hadn't tried that before. I can play the videos on my Ipod on my TV. So it's possible the cables was intended for that only.

I thought I could use the Iphone 3GS dock that I bought (from Apple) and plug into the LINE OUT port in the back of it. I guess that was a wrong assumption on my part since the link provided by the other responder above has a statement that reads:

"Important: The iPhone dock does not support TV out."

I tried plugging directly into the iPhone as well and that also did not work.


So it looks like I need to read more of that linked page to figure out what cable I need.

But now that I know it works with my Ipod at least I know I didn't waste the $1.99 that I believe it cost, LOL. I should have known something so cheap wasn't going to do what I wanted it to do!


Thanks for your quick replies!
Apple dropped compatibility for that kind of cable with the 2007 iPod line and iPhone. Previously, the iPod photo, 5G and 5.5 G iPods were able to output video through the headphone port. With the 2007 models (iPhone, iPod Classic, iPod Nano 3G and iPod Touch) compatibility with this cable was broken, and now the devices are able to output video only through the dock connector. You need either this http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB...mco=Nzk2Mjc4NA or this http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB...mco=Nzk2Mjc5MQ to output video from your iPhone to your TV, depending on what kind of TV you have and connection you would like to use.
Cask is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2009, 05:42 PM   #8
CarboysDesire
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Las Vegas
Cool, thanks Cask!
CarboysDesire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2009, 10:04 PM   #9
Lakerfan210
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
I suggest you get the component cables instead of the composite ones.
Lakerfan210 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2009, 11:19 PM   #10
SAIRUS
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
You can use the old universal dock, and output video through there. Thats what I do right now.

Oh and apple switched which component the video comes out of. So when you use a 3rd party solution (I used my cameras), you had to fiddle with either white or red having the video.

Also there are various AV docks on the net/ebay, so take a look around.
__________________
You're ugly...
...only if you think you are.
15" Retina Macbook Pro, iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S, iPa-okay okay I have a ton of Apple stuff and 200 characters is not enough.
SAIRUS is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Connecting iphone 5 to iphone 4 car connection djsound iPhone Accessories 9 Feb 12, 2014 11:43 PM
iPhone 5 not connecting to wifi shaunT2012 iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 3 Jul 5, 2013 10:36 PM
iPhone 3GS will not transfer mp3 from my computer to my iPhone 3GS (ios4) Mupkins iPhone 2 Jan 15, 2013 09:25 PM
iPhone 3GS stuck at "Connecting to iTunes" iphone3gsnhelp iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 0 Oct 19, 2012 08:12 AM
iPhone not connecting to LTE gsugolfer iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 7 Oct 14, 2012 08:36 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:49 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC