Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Sep 28, 2009, 12:20 AM   #1
iViking
macrumors 6502

how to open docx files in MS Word 2004 in Snow Leopard

Hi,

When docx files started floating around, I couldn't figure out how to open them in MS Word for Mac 2004. Then I found out you could download the xml converter from the MS site, and that solved the problem.

However, now that I have installed Leopard and reinstalled MS Word 2004 and the requisite xml converter, for some reason, when I double click on a docx file, it does not automatically ask to convert it as it once did.

Instead, it seems to bypass/ignore the double clicked docx file and goes straight to that open document screen where you choose what type of document you want.

Anyone know how to get it to automatically open the docx files up in ms word 2004 and convert with the xml converter in leopard?

Thanks!
iViking is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2009, 06:28 PM   #2
nadyne
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via ICQ to nadyne Send a message via AIM to nadyne Send a message via MSN to nadyne Send a message via Yahoo to nadyne Send a message via Skype™ to nadyne
In the Finder, select one of your .docx files. Command-click on it, and "Get Info". Go to "Open with", and select the Open XML File Format Converter in the drop-down box. Then click "Change All".

Regards,
Nadyne.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 06:34 PM   #3
iViking
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadyne View Post
In the Finder, select one of your .docx files. Command-click on it, and "Get Info". Go to "Open with", and select the Open XML File Format Converter in the drop-down box. Then click "Change All".

Regards,
Nadyne.
Thanks Nadyne. Actually, I'm still confused. For some reason, when I double click on ANY MS Word document icon on my computer, when Word launches, it doesn't automatically open the document. It just asks me for new document, etc.

Even when I right click on the document on the desktop and click, "open with MS WORD," it still doesn't open it, just launches MS Word.

Do you know what I mean?

What happened?
iViking is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2009, 06:30 PM   #4
haikuwarriors41
macrumors newbie

I'm having separate problems with this - when I try and convert a .docx in Office 2004, I get a "There is not enough memory or disk space to complete the operation" error message. Same problem as reported by two other users in this thread: http://discussions.apple.com/thread....readID=2149441

Asked at mactopia, but anyone here have any ideas? Already tried deleting font caches and removing duplicated fonts. Thanks.
haikuwarriors41 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2009, 11:30 AM   #5
haikuwarriors41
macrumors newbie

In case anyone else was having trouble with this, it was fixed with Open XML File Format Converter 1.1.3 update: http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloa...2544ED6#viewer

I applied Office 2004 11.5.6 update concurrently, so perhaps it was related to that as well: http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloa...60C7C8E#viewer
haikuwarriors41 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store