Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iViking

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
Hi,

When docx files started floating around, I couldn't figure out how to open them in MS Word for Mac 2004. Then I found out you could download the xml converter from the MS site, and that solved the problem.

However, now that I have installed Leopard and reinstalled MS Word 2004 and the requisite xml converter, for some reason, when I double click on a docx file, it does not automatically ask to convert it as it once did.

Instead, it seems to bypass/ignore the double clicked docx file and goes straight to that open document screen where you choose what type of document you want.

Anyone know how to get it to automatically open the docx files up in ms word 2004 and convert with the xml converter in leopard?

Thanks!

nadyne

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2004
Mountain View, CA USA
In the Finder, select one of your .docx files. Command-click on it, and "Get Info". Go to "Open with", and select the Open XML File Format Converter in the drop-down box. Then click "Change All".

Regards,
Nadyne.

iViking

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
In the Finder, select one of your .docx files. Command-click on it, and "Get Info". Go to "Open with", and select the Open XML File Format Converter in the drop-down box. Then click "Change All".

Regards,
Nadyne.

Thanks Nadyne. Actually, I'm still confused. For some reason, when I double click on ANY MS Word document icon on my computer, when Word launches, it doesn't automatically open the document. It just asks me for new document, etc.

Even when I right click on the document on the desktop and click, "open with MS WORD," it still doesn't open it, just launches MS Word.

Do you know what I mean?

What happened?

haikuwarriors41

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2009
I'm having separate problems with this - when I try and convert a .docx in Office 2004, I get a "There is not enough memory or disk space to complete the operation" error message. Same problem as reported by two other users in this thread: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2149441

Asked at mactopia, but anyone here have any ideas? Already tried deleting font caches and removing duplicated fonts. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.