Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dominat0r

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2009
Just curious....im on my 3rd iphone right now. Im starting to think that they are just not able to handle everyday wear and tear. Im not meaning working in a machine shop either...just walking around, going from semi cold to very humid hot. I carry my phone in a Otterbox impact case, with a power support anti glare.

My first phone was great...i was all about the JB since it was my first...however, my camera went dead on me. I took it to the Apple store, of course they replaced it. I thought ok, just a bad refurb (bought from ATT as a refurb anyway, for 50$). I guess they didnt fix it after all =) JK, i know they dont.

So i went a month or so...babying my phone like never before...always in the pocket, never dropped and noticed my sleep button was making its way into the case..i would have to use my finger nail (actually had to have my nail a tad longer than normal so i could push it) to even get it to work. Soon after that it would just quit working all together. Took it to the Apple store today (Same Genius) and swapped it out.

I got stiffed on the first return and didnt try to remove the PS Anti glare. However, before i returned this one, i peeled it off..I actually got it pretty much perfect onto the new phone. Not 1 piece of dust. I took it off in a lightly steamy bathroom, stored it inside a clamshell case that my otterbox came in...i cleaned the inside, applied the screen protector inside, closed up the box...left it there overnight...returned today to a steamy shower with my new phone, cleaned it up and applied. Worked great.

Please dont take this as me complaining...im happy with my iphone...few things i would change, but other than that im perfectly fine with its functionality. Im just wondering how long its going to continue to function properly =)

ihonda

Suspended
Sep 17, 2009
on my 7th iphone but 6th for tech reasons.. i had a 16 then switched to a 32 thats why i say 7

the issues in order..

gps
-then
unlevel glass screen
-then
bricked when jailbreaking/scratched the screen..itunes couldnt recover so i exchanged
-then
PERFECT PHONE but dropped it and nicked the bezel to hell --(this exchange pissed me off!)
-then
power button was depressed
-then
right side of metal bezel was very sharp.. actually took a little skin off

-now

now the one i have seems to have a wobbley power button (slides back and forth slightly and the home button seems a little mushy, so im going to deal with it til around end of october and exchange it for a brand new one @ bestbuy, so far all of my phones have been brand new out of bestbuy stock and their policy is u have 30 days for return or exchange so.. im going to wait til around october 25 to exchange this one.. and if that one is messed up then ill wait another 20 something days yeah its a pain in the ass and some may find it annoying BUT i had to pay full retail for my phone so i expect it to be perfect!

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
1st generation iPod touch: Never
1st generation iPhone: Never
iPhone 3G: 4 times (on my 4th replacement, I had turned down 2 others)
iPhone 3GS: 3 times (on the 3rd time, I simply returned it for good)
iPod touch 3G (bought 2 of them, and returned them both because of the screen quality sucking)

Apple's quality has really gone down hill. The first generation iPod touch and first generation iPhone were really good.

I finally got a perfect iPhone 3G that I'm happy with, so I'm going to keep this thing as long as possible. It also runs just like an iPhone 3GS with 2.2.1 on it.

Dominat0r

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2009
Ok, now i dont feel so bad being on my third...

this one seems good...im hoping =)

at least i didnt lose another PS screen protector...

im going to keep using it and using it hahaha...

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
what is wrong with you, ihonda? You exchanged some phones because YOU broke them? Gah, Apple is nice.

It's people like you that make companies have to pad their prices for honest* people like me.

*well at least I don't pull that bull****

Vandam500

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
1st generation iPod touch: Never
1st generation iPhone: Never
iPhone 3G: 4 times (on my 4th replacement, I had turned down 2 others)
iPhone 3GS: 3 times (on the 3rd time, I simply returned it for good)
iPod touch 3G (bought 2 of them, and returned them both because of the screen quality sucking)

Apple's quality has really gone down hill. The first generation iPod touch and first generation iPhone were really good.

I finally got a perfect iPhone 3G that I'm happy with, so I'm going to keep this thing as long as possible. It also runs just like an iPhone 3GS with 2.2.1 on it.

Just like a 3GS? There is a HUGE difference in speed between the 3GS and 3G. Even on 2.2.1 (I had a 3G on it before upgrading to the 3GS) and it is no where near as fast.

ihonda

Suspended
Sep 17, 2009
i switched 1 phone because i dropped it all the other exchanges were 100% legit issues..

and the guy @ bestbuy TOLD me to switch it out, i was just going to get some ice creme from radtech and buff it out, i had a airjacket on which took most of the impact.. so whatever.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
*Knock on wood*
I never had to swap out my launch day 2G iPhone and I've never had to swap out my launch day 3G iPhone either. Everything has worked perfectly on both, there is one very tiny ~1mm crack between the headphone jack and the chrome, but it doesn't bother me at all so I don't really care :p

ihonda

Suspended
Sep 17, 2009
Ok, now i dont feel so bad being on my third...

this one seems good...im hoping =)

at least i didnt lose another PS screen protector...

im going to keep using it and using it hahaha...

if you have your receipt from ur purchase of the screen protector just call up power support and they'll send you a new set, i told them mine fell off they asked for copy of receipt and sent a brand new set out. :)

skrutzen

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2007
Yeah, ihonda, you don't deserve a phone. If I were a Genius, my attitude would get worse and worse with you every time you show up.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
WOW, 6 times on your 3G? what was wrong?
My bad - I just checked and it was actually seven replacements (so eight phones, including the original purchase), not six. The reasons were:

1. Faulty RAM (random data corruption persisting though several restores)
2. Dead pixels
3. No phone audio (persisted through several restores)
4. Perma-charged battery (persisted through several restores)
5. Dust (3-4 large chunks visible in any lighting conditions, plus 5-10 smaller specks) under the glass
6. Low battery capacity. (persisted through several restores)
7. Three case cracks, the longest of which was almost a quarter inch in length.

I've got an appointment for my first 3GS replacement this week (eight case cracks all around the dock connector); I just hope I don't have as many problems as I did with the 3G. :(

Chris Welch

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2007
New York
i switched 1 phone because i dropped it all the other exchanges were 100% legit issues..

and the guy @ bestbuy TOLD me to switch it out, i was just going to get some ice creme from radtech and buff it out, i had a airjacket on which took most of the impact.. so whatever.

Dude... You just said above that you're going to exchange your current phone because the sleep/wake button is a bit "wobbly."

What kind of legit reason is that?

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
My 2G iPhone's never been exchanged and I'm its 2nd owner.

My mum's 2G touch on the other hand got sent off to be repaired because of wifi issues.

tigertazz

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2009
Never swapped due to faults

I'm now on my second Iphone 3G but thats because i dropped it down a drain.............. i fished it out but sadly it no longer worked (and smelled like s****)

wowipod

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
Queensland
iPod Touch Gen 1: 0 times

My iPhone 3G: 2x (Cracked back casing and then ringer switch fell off)

Dads iPhone 3G: 1x (Cracked casing)

Right now I have a problem where it just randomly stops working and I have to force restart it. The quality of apple products in general is getting worse. Just glad they replace them as easily as they do.

BMJT

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2009
Bristol, UK

Bricked when jailbreaking? How did you talk your way out of that one?

Had no idea that the applecare covered accidental damage, I thought it was just technical faults/failure?

Edit, forgot to answer the OP : I have a 3 month old 3GS and g/f has 1 year old 3G, no faults with either so far.

Blueravr

macrumors member
May 18, 2008
This many that I could find.. That's just for the 3Gs. The 3G the old lady has is only 2 or 3 times.
28i4wpl.jpg

army91c

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2009
what is wrong with you, ihonda? You exchanged some phones because YOU broke them? Gah, Apple is nice. It's people like you that make companies have to pad their prices for honest* people like me.
*well at least I don't pull that bull****

Yeah what he did is called fraud... Karma will get him some time....

2g
1. dropped and dented, my fault and they replaced it free... thanks Apple.
2. dust under the screen after 2 weeks
3. dust under the screen after 3 months

3g
1. dust under the screen 2 months
2. dust under the screen 3 months
3. microphone stopped working
4. dropped in toilet, had to pay $212.63

3gs
1. dust under the screen after 4 days
2. soon to be returned for crack by h/p jack, crack by pin connector, dust
3. ?

Yes I expect my $400-$700 phone to stay "perfect" related to manufacture defect and dust under the screen is a manufacture defect. They gaurantee it for 1 year, so I will continue to take advantage of my guarantee as long as their hardware continues to not live up to their end of that guarantee.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.