Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 13, 2004, 12:07 AM   #1
toezter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Madison, WI
cram and jam AND student discount?

*n00b, 1st post*

i read the terms and agreements on the "Cram. and Jam" deal, and its as everyone knows, $200 off the participating apple products.

now, with this mail in rebate, can i still get the student discount $100? totaling a $300 savings from a poor college student?

i would be purchasing a 12" powerbook FYI.
toezter is offline   0
Old Jul 13, 2004, 12:51 AM   #2
Mr Poop E Pantz
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: WV
Short answer, yes.

This refers to max savings, but applies to 12" with less money off.

* Offer excludes the 12-inch iBook with CD-ROM drive and iPod mini. Combined savings of $530 is based on $300 education discount on a 17-inch PowerBook G4, $30 discount on an iPod, and $200 mail-in rebate. Education discount varies by notebook model selected. Offer expires September 25, 2004.
Mr Poop E Pantz is offline   0
Old Jul 13, 2004, 12:55 AM   #3
TheSkipper
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
I just got my 12" PowerBook today from the Cram and Jam Promotion. Defintiely an awesome deal for any students looking to get a powerbook + iPod for cheap(relatively). This is my first Mac and boy am I impressed. I think I have been sitting at my desk for the past 12 hours, too many things to check out.
TheSkipper is offline   0
Old Jul 13, 2004, 01:30 AM   #4
CanuckGold_2002
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
I'm getting a 12" PB and a 15gb ipod the weekend of 06, August. In addition to the cram and jam and edu deal and discount, there's no sales tax in NC that weekend!! Also, the edu store, at least for UNC Chapel Hill offers free engraving for the ipod...
First line: Anduril
Second line: Flame of the West
CanuckGold_2002 is offline   0
Old Jul 13, 2004, 12:19 PM   #5
toezter
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Madison, WI
ok, let me get this straight...

i want to buy a 12" powerbook. i would be saving $100 from the student discount, then an additional $200 from the cram and jam mail in rebate. a total of $300 right?

also, i already have an ipod, i see some places on the apple site it reads "ipod and powerbook, or ibook". so do i have to buy an ipod WITH the powerbook?

thanks for the quick responces.
toezter is offline   0
Old Jul 13, 2004, 12:49 PM   #6
Chip NoVaMac
macrumors G3
 
Chip NoVaMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Northern Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by toezter
ok, let me get this straight...

i want to buy a 12" powerbook. i would be saving $100 from the student discount, then an additional $200 from the cram and jam mail in rebate. a total of $300 right?

also, i already have an ipod, i see some places on the apple site it reads "ipod and powerbook, or ibook". so do i have to buy an ipod WITH the powerbook?

thanks for the quick responces.
My comments are for the US program, not sure about Canada.

OK, reading comprehension 101.

The rebate terms indicate you have to buy a qualifying Apple notebook computer. You also have to buy an iPod (15, 20, or 40gb). You then mail-in for the rebate on the joint purchase.

The Powerbooks have a $200 discount off of regular retail. So you have the opportunity to save $400 off a joint Powerbook and iPod purchase. Or another way to look at is is that you can get the 15b iPod for only $69 after the mail-in rebate.
__________________
It is fast approaching the point where I don't want to elect anyone stupid enough to want the job. - Bombeck
Chip NoVaMac is offline   0
Old Jul 13, 2004, 02:31 PM   #7
rueyeet
macrumors 65816
 
rueyeet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: MD
Oooh. I'm going to pass this tidbit along to my friend who is considering switching due to the spyware/adware plague. The other positive of this is that if you don't need the iPod, you can sell that for additional "savings".
__________________

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.12
GCS/O d+(---) s+:+>+: !a C+$ U P L+(-) E--
W++ N- o? K- w(---) O? M+ V PS++ PE Y+ PGP-
t(--) 5++ X- R+ tv- b+ DI++ D G e++ h-- r x+
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
rueyeet is offline   0
Old Jul 13, 2004, 02:41 PM   #8
toezter
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Madison, WI
ok, i think i get it now. if i choose not to, i don't have to buy a new ipod with the powerbook.

what about the additional $100 off w/ student discount? totaling a $300 savings after mail in rebates.
toezter is offline   0
Old Jul 13, 2004, 02:57 PM   #9
Chip NoVaMac
macrumors G3
 
Chip NoVaMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Northern Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by toezter
ok, i think i get it now. if i choose not to, i don't have to buy a new ipod with the powerbook.

what about the additional $100 off w/ student discount? totaling a $300 savings after mail in rebates.
Someone else please take this please

(Going to bang my head against the wall for a moment ) - Just kidding here...

The EDU price for the PB 12" is either $1399 or $1599 depending on whether you get the SDD or not. To get this price you need to prove your student status (generally the Student ID will do). Regular prices are $1599 and $1799 respectively.

Now to get the $200 Cram and Jam rebate you need to buy an iPod with your student purchase Powerbook. If you don't want the iPod, you don't buy it. But you will not get the $200 rebate for buying both.

To the best of my knowledge there are no other rebates, other than printer bundle rebates, at this time from Apple. Your school may have something else going on.
__________________
It is fast approaching the point where I don't want to elect anyone stupid enough to want the job. - Bombeck
Chip NoVaMac is offline   0
Old Jul 13, 2004, 03:51 PM   #10
Nutella
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
LOL Chip, I think you explained it perfectly!

I just bought a 12" powerbook with the student discount for $1399. I had never considered buying an ipod, but for $69 after rebate for the 15gb version, I couldn't resist. So basically, as Chip said, I consider myself as getting an ipod for $69,

I don't really think of it as getting $400 in savings because I always counted on the pbook to cost $1399 and I never planned on the ipod anyway. But I think $69 is pretty good for a neat little toy!

p.s. Now I need to hope I dotted all my i's and crossed all my t's perfectly, so I actually see that $200. You know how the Rebate Nazis can be!
Nutella is offline   0
Old Jul 13, 2004, 11:47 PM   #11
toezter
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Madison, WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip NoVaMac

Now to get the $200 Cram and Jam rebate you need to buy an iPod with your student purchase Powerbook. If you don't want the iPod, you don't buy it. But you will not get the $200 rebate for buying both..
now here is where you lose me

but after reading Nutella's post, i think i get it.

powerbook price $1599. student discount -$100. cram & jam -$200.
powerbook and ipod $1869. student discount -$100. cram & jam -$200.

right?

i really appreciate the help here. i just don't want to end up paying full price on a deal i couldn't even get bc i didn't buy a "silly" ipod.
toezter is offline   0
Old Jul 14, 2004, 12:17 AM   #12
Kwyjibo
macrumors 68040
 
Kwyjibo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
the student discount isn't a fixed price. Go into the apple store for education, on the web and look at the powerbook prices. These are the price that go along with the deal, and if you buy both you get an additional rebate for $200. Stop thinking of it as two seperate deals just start from the EDU store.
Kwyjibo is offline   0
Old Jul 14, 2004, 12:27 AM   #13
scottwat
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Ohio USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by toezter
now here is where you lose me

but after reading Nutella's post, i think i get it.

powerbook price $1599. student discount -$100. cram & jam -$200.
powerbook and ipod $1869. student discount -$100. cram & jam -$200.

right?

i really appreciate the help here. i just don't want to end up paying full price on a deal i couldn't even get bc i didn't buy a "silly" ipod.
NO NO NO Cram and jam is only powerbook + ipod not powerbook no ipod.
so
powerbook price $1599. student discount -$100. NO cram & jam
powerbook and ipod $1869. student discount -$100. cram & jam -$200.
scottwat is offline   0
Old Jul 14, 2004, 05:03 AM   #14
Nutella
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Toez, hopefully this will clear it up:

If you buy a notebook with the edu discount, you have two choices:

1. Dont buy ipod - in this case you will just have gotten the edu discount on your notebook.
2. Buy ipod at edu discount - in this case you will have the following -
a. notebook at edu discount
b. ipod at edu discount
c. $200 rebate when you send in the forms.

Just remember, if you qualify for the edu discount, you will get it regardless of what you buy. ADDITIONALLY, if you want the $200 rebate, you have to Cram AND Jam, not Cram OR Jam
Nutella is offline   0
Old Jul 14, 2004, 07:59 AM   #15
atszyman
macrumors 68020
 
atszyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: The Dallas 'burbs
Send a message via AIM to atszyman
From the terms and conditions for the Cram and Jam promotion.

Quote:
You must purchase all qualifying Apple products at the same time on the same sales order to be eligible for the mail-in rebate.
In order to qualify for the $200 Cram and Jam rebate you must purchase an iPod AND a *Book on the same sales order and/or receipt.

You will always get the edu discount (assuming that you are a student and qualify) but, if you only buy an iPod you get no $200 rebate, if you only buy a *Book you get no $200 rebate.
atszyman is offline   0
Old Jul 14, 2004, 02:59 PM   #16
rapps
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
How will this promotion be affected if the next generation Ipods come out like predicted in August sometime? I wonder if we can use the $200 off when those come out...or they will be excluded?? BTW...when does the promotion expire?
thx.
rapps is offline   0
Old Jul 14, 2004, 03:30 PM   #17
Chip NoVaMac
macrumors G3
 
Chip NoVaMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Northern Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapps
How will this promotion be affected if the next generation Ipods come out like predicted in August sometime? I wonder if we can use the $200 off when those come out...or they will be excluded?? BTW...when does the promotion expire?
thx.
The rebate coupon is very clear as to what iPods are part of the rebate, also very clear that it is subject to stock be available.
__________________
It is fast approaching the point where I don't want to elect anyone stupid enough to want the job. - Bombeck
Chip NoVaMac is offline   0
Old Jul 14, 2004, 04:18 PM   #18
scottwat
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Ohio USA
not so clear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip NoVaMac
The rebate coupon is very clear as to what iPods are part of the rebate, also very clear that it is subject to stock be available.
Actually I read over it, while I'm not a lawyer and not an expert, it listed 3 ipods the 15, 20 and 40 gig ipods. It made no reference to specific model numbers, other than to specifically exclude the ipod mini's. So technically if they were to come out with a new ipod that was 15, 20 or 40 gigs then it should be covered, unless the change the terms which they have the right to do on the form.
also I didn't realize these purchases must be on the same order.
from the form:
You must purchase all qualifying Apple products at the same time on the same sales order to be eligible for the mail-in rebate.
May seem obvious but others might not read it.
scottwat is offline   0
Old Jul 14, 2004, 05:57 PM   #19
Chip NoVaMac
macrumors G3
 
Chip NoVaMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Northern Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwat
Actually I read over it, while I'm not a lawyer and not an expert, it listed 3 ipods the 15, 20 and 40 gig ipods. It made no reference to specific model numbers, other than to specifically exclude the ipod mini's. So technically if they were to come out with a new ipod that was 15, 20 or 40 gigs then it should be covered, unless the change the terms which they have the right to do on the form.
also I didn't realize these purchases must be on the same order.
from the form:
You must purchase all qualifying Apple products at the same time on the same sales order to be eligible for the mail-in rebate.
May seem obvious but others might not read it.
My bad. Though Apple could have a new name for these new iPods.
It looking like they might announce and not ship till after 9/25/04 then?
__________________
It is fast approaching the point where I don't want to elect anyone stupid enough to want the job. - Bombeck
Chip NoVaMac is offline   0
Old Jul 14, 2004, 11:13 PM   #20
toezter
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Madison, WI
doy, why would they call it cram and jam? HA, ok now i got it.

i was really confused because when i went thru the edu. store, the powerbooks where marked $200 down from the original price. iirc, my friend got his ibook last year with $100 marked down with student discount. so thats where i got a bit confused.

well crap, i just spent $180 on a 10gig ipod...i could always sell it.

i really appreciate all the help from everyone on clearing this up for me. i didn't want to get a letter from apple saying that i messed on the mailin rebate.

Thanks.
toezter is offline   0
Old Jul 15, 2004, 06:04 AM   #21
Chip NoVaMac
macrumors G3
 
Chip NoVaMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Northern Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by toezter
doy, why would they call it cram and jam? HA, ok now i got it.

i was really confused because when i went thru the edu. store, the powerbooks where marked $200 down from the original price. iirc, my friend got his ibook last year with $100 marked down with student discount. so thats where i got a bit confused.

well crap, i just spent $180 on a 10gig ipod...i could always sell it.

i really appreciate all the help from everyone on clearing this up for me. i didn't want to get a letter from apple saying that i messed on the mailin rebate.

Thanks.
I understand the confusion there. When I got my PB 12" rev. B w/SDD the price the Apple Store gave me was $100 less than the EDU pricing online (this was in December of last year). {Never argue when someone is giving you a better price is my opinion.}

So your "math" is now understandable.
__________________
It is fast approaching the point where I don't want to elect anyone stupid enough to want the job. - Bombeck
Chip NoVaMac is offline   0


 
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Student discount Lvo MacBook Pro 7 Jun 18, 2013 04:28 PM
Student discount on top of BF discount for 13 inch retina bosoxnm3 MacBook Pro 2 Nov 23, 2012 08:06 AM
Price Advice: student discount rdavila Buying Tips and Advice 2 Oct 23, 2012 06:50 PM
Student Discount Cloaky MacBook Pro 6 Jul 31, 2012 08:20 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:00 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC