Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LotsofApples

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2009
The time has come to "replace" my faithful ibook g4. Sadly it's being left behind more and more in favor of intel. I've been stuck for a while now on what to replace it with, another notebook (Macbook Pro) or an iMac. My girlfriend just got a new 13" Macbook Pro and it is just beautiful! I just love it! But it doesn't seem like the most practical solution for my situation.

I've recently migrated my data off of my ibook onto a drobo. This includes music, video, pictures and documents. I've pretty much turned it into my home folder. I've also started copying my dvds and streaming them to my atv via boxee. I don't keep much on my internal drive anymore.

I've been leaning towards the iMac because I'd be able to leave the drobo connected all the time and it would act as a very basic media server. It'd also be more convenient because I wouldn't have to constantly unmount my drobo every time I need to move my notebook. My plan is to use the iMac as my main machine and use the ibook for things like internet and email.

I currently see three options:
1)Macbook Pro and just disconnect every time i need to move it

2)MBP. Keep a copy of file from drobo(music and pictures) on internal drive and use the drobo solely as backup.

3)iMac as server and just use ibook for anything portable.

Comments?

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
You might also want to consider getting a Mac Mini in addition to a refurbished MacBook. That way you would get the best of both worlds for roughly the same price. Although of your choices I would probably go for a MacBook Pro, this is because you will have the portability and power if you need it. If you don't need it then it won't be much less powerful than an iMac.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
id s

id say go with the iMac, I have both and if your not gonna take it around with you much, the iMac is nice for home use. But I would reccomend waiting a month to see what the new iMac and MacBook offer and hope for a price drop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.