Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paolo-

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 24, 2008
Hi, I'm looking for a piece of software to go from audio to midi. I'd preferably like to be able to do this live through an audiounit. All I could find was widi and I wasn't all too impressed by their trial version. If there's a free alternative, even better.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hi, I'm looking for a piece of software to go from audio to midi. I'd preferably like to be able to do this live through an audiounit. All I could find was widi and I wasn't all too impressed by their trial version. If there's a free alternative, even better.

It's a hard problem to solve and not a lot of software does it well. The trouble is the audio can be out of tune (not everyone sings well) and the timing may be off. But Sibelius can do a decent job

http://www.sibelius.com/products/sibelius/6/audioscore.html

paolo-

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 24, 2008
Thank you, i'll look into it, mind you their site crashes both safari and firefox on my computer right now, kind of weird, seems like something with flash.

It's fairly odd that so few exist, I guess there isn't that big of a demand for it, but part of that coding is already in tuners and auto tuning effects.

wts

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2009
Thank you, i'll look into it, mind you their site crashes both safari and firefox on my computer right now, kind of weird, seems like something with flash.

It's fairly odd that so few exist, I guess there isn't that big of a demand for it, but part of that coding is already in tuners and auto tuning effects.

As ChrisA noted this is complex programming problem. For example, if you had a live recording with several accoustic instruments. A nightmare for a audio to midi programme. In my days of OS 9 and prior, OPCODE had a audio to midi feature in their Studio Visions applications. However it could give you a very bad and some time hysterically funny translation.

4 me it's not too important to have a software that could convert audio to midi. What's the point?:D

Perhaps you could clarify why you need this type of software?

paolo-

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 24, 2008
Yeah I got some odd polyphonic sounds out of my voice with widi.

I have a fairly crazy idea. I want to have software find out what note I'm signing and, turn it to midi, play it on a synth and then vocode that with my original voice signal.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
4 me it's not too important to have a software that could convert audio to midi. What's the point?

What's the point? Some people are good at transcribing what they hear. They can hear a tune and then write or play the notes. I can't do that very well at all.

And what about studying music. I have some recordings of Bill Evans (the jazz pianist) Wouldn't it be great if I could transcribe bits of some of his live recording to midi and then to printed music notation. Then I could see and understand what he was doing. I am no where even close to being able to hear what chords he was playing. I better musician would not need this kind of tool but it might help the rest of us.

Another good use for audio to midi is creating sheet music. That is what Sibelius uses it for. If you can play keyboard then you can enter all the notes that way but some people might prefer to work with voice or woodwind as an input method. Either would be faster then typing at a computer keyboard.

wts

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2009
Yeah I got some odd polyphonic sounds out of my voice with widi.

I have a fairly crazy idea. I want to have software find out what note I'm signing and, turn it to midi, play it on a synth and then vocode that with my original voice signal.

Ah, yes, so that is what you want to do.

Actually there used to be a programme called Autoscore ( not sure of the name right now ) in OS 9 or was it 8.6x . I'll see if I could find it and perhaps send you a copy.

There is also an interest programme called Zerius Vocoder which may or may not do what it is you want to do.

However this is the best way to do it: try that amazing programme "Amazing slow downer": play your vocal recording at a reduced speed while playing your keyboard check/compare the vocal to keyboard. Then simply record a midi file in what ever midi/audio sequencer you use as you play along to the vocal recording played thru the Amazing slow downer.

Let us know if this reply is of any help.

paolo-

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 24, 2008
Oh I don't have trouble transcribing. Thing is I want to do this live, I should have clarified that in my previous post. Giving me the ability to sign what ever I want without having to know what the melody is note for note, and most of all not be stuck by a keyboard. But thank you for your help wts you're quite knowledgeable !

I think I found a solution to my problem though. I found a fairly simple to use frequency counting function for a microcontroller I have. Kind of odd to have to make external hardware as a solution but it'll free up an input at the same time. Worth a shot.

wts

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2009
Oh I don't have trouble transcribing. Thing is I want to do this live, I should have clarified that in my previous post. Giving me the ability to sign what ever I want without having to know what the melody is note for note, and most of all not be stuck by a keyboard. But thank you for your help wts you're quite knowledgeable !

I think I found a solution to my problem though. I found a fairly simple to use frequency counting function for a microcontroller I have. Kind of odd to have to make external hardware as a solution but it'll free up an input at the same time. Worth a shot.

:confused::confused::confused:

Could you please clarify both paragraphs of your reply. This old guy is lost, again.,:D:D:D

paolo-

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 24, 2008
hahaha :p Probably my french origins shinning trough my post.

Well, I want this program to be able to have my voice vocoded in a live/stage setting without having to play a keyboard at the same time. I wouldn't need to know what notes I'm signing either. Amazing slow downer wouldn't really help me as I've explained above I want to play live and I don't have trouble transcribing so even in studio I've got that covered.

Then I explained how I might have a solution. But it gets a little technical. I found the code for a piece of external hardware I own to find frequencies and I could have it output midi data to trigger a synth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.