Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
!!Updates!!

The SDFC-1 has undergone some updates. The original configuration was based of Intel's X58 platform which carried a Nehalem based architecture.

The new internals updates are as follows:
  • Intel Core i7 7820X (Skylake, LGA2066, X299)
  • Asus ROG Strix-E X299
  • Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB), DDR4-3000
  • Samsung EVO 960 250GB M.2 NVMe PCIe x4 (OS Drive)
  • nVidia GTX 1080 Ti Founders Edition
  • Samsung EVO 860 1TB (Application Drive)
  • Samsung EVO 860 500GB (Steam/Game Drive)
  • 4x 1TB Western Digital Gold @ RAID 5 (Mass Storage Drives)
  • Corsair HX1000i 1200W 80 Plus Platinum
As you can see, the new architecture is based of Skylake in its X299 platform.

What about cooling? Well, that is where this build differs from the first build. This build is entirely water cooled using a custom water loop. The water loop is built entirely from EKWB parts and is based of PETG rigid tubing that has been heated and turned to make the respective and needed bends.

The water cooling loop cools down CPU VRMs, CPU and video card. The water cooling loop irradiates heat away using a 360 (120mmx3) 45mm-thick radiator and a 120mm 45mm-thick radiator. This ensures that each cooled component has access to the heat dissipation capacity of two 120 rad slots.

Pictrues coming soon!

=0=0=0=0=0=0=0=0=0=0=0=0=0=0=0=0=0=0=0=0=0=0=0=0=0=0=0=0=0=0=0=

Hello, in the time I was gone, I decided to build a little project. I have saved a fair amount of money (this originally started as a two man build, but my mate backed out due to personal reasons) that I plan on spending.

I have gathered the following components which I will buy in the next month or so. In any case, I put it here since I expect the community to pitch in and help me out decide which parts will work together in perfect harmony, what parts will provide a boost and which parts are plain wrong.

Yes, I seriously plan to get the following. Also, I gave it a name that means something for me, Macross. It is the name of my favorite sci-fi ship when I was small. So, I intend this to live up to its name.

Now, on with the parts:

**Construction Finished**

Final specs:

• Core i7 920 @ 3.8GHz
  • Asus P6X58D-E Motherboards w/ USB3.0 & SATA III
  • ATI Radeon HD5850 1GB (2x in CrossFire)
  • 2TB (1TBx4) Western Digital RE3 in RAID 10
  • Intel SSD G2 80GB
  • Corsair 6GB (3x2GB) @ 1600MHz w/ CAS 8 Timmings
  • Recovery Kingston SSD 16GB
  • Corsair H50 CPU Cooler
  • Creative Fatal1ty Titanium Sound Card
  • Asus Wireless PCIe 802.11a/b/g/n
  • Asus Multi-DVD Reader/Writer
  • Corsair 800D Case

Last edited:

No1451

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Since you have a bit of lee-way in the price...might I suggest cutting back on the cpu, running a 950 instead, saving $430.

Then take these savings, watercool it and then overclock the hell out of it. With a decent bit of watercooling I'm sure you could hit 4.2Ghz with a fair degree of ease(my 920C0 can hit 4.0Ghz without a hitch).

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
There is one thing that stands out that may be missing here. Cooling. You seem to be relying on the case fans to cool the internals; you're going to need more then that to keep that beast cool. The airflow from the default case fans typically sucks. Look at big 150mm fans, make sure the case can support them. Run them at 1/2 speed to keep the sound down. . . . because this little piggie is going to scream.

The memory looks like overkill; I think that Windows 7 is OK with it but 12MB is an odd number for computers. Powers of 2 is often preferable. I would either go with 8 and add 8 more later, or just get 16 now. But the MB supports it, and I doubt you'll see any difference.

Look OK to me, for the most part. Just be careful of the cooling.

BTW Digital Logic is one hell of an easy class.

No1451

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2008
Ottawa, ON
The memory looks like overkill; I think that Windows 7 is OK with it but 12MB is an odd number for computers. Powers of 2 is often preferable. I would either go with 8 and add 8 more later, or just get 16 now. But the MB supports it, and I doubt you'll see any difference.

i7 uses triple channel so you see: 3/6/12 as your RAM configurations. As to the cooling, the HAF is an enthusiast case and the airflow is actually quite good.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
i7 uses triple channel so you see: 3/6/12 as your RAM configurations. As to the cooling, the HAF is an enthusiast case and the airflow is actually quite good.

This, I was going to explain why the 12GB of RAM, but I think this user beat me to the punch. In any case, 12GB should be enough for some time (3 years?) before I decide to pull the trigger and get 24GB. I mean, Bloomfield CPUs are going to get only better and better and better.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville

I have been out of the PC industry too long. :D I think that might be a good thing though.

No1451

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2008
Ottawa, ON
This, I was going to explain why the 12GB of RAM, but I think this user beat me to the punch. In any case, 12GB should be enough for some time (3 years?) before I decide to pull the trigger and get 24GB. I mean, Bloomfield CPUs are going to get only better and better and better.

It still remains to be seen what will happen with 1156 so who knows? Also, if I can't convince you of watercooling(might be safest, it's ADDICTIVE) then a better cooler should be on the list as well.

I would suggest the TRUE, OCZ Vendetta 2, Coolermaster Hyper 212 or the Prolimatech Megahalems....unfortunately Newegg only seems to be stocking incredibly BAD air coolers at the moment. And do please keep in mind: i7 is a FURNACE, my 920@stock can manage to hit 50+ under load, and that is under water(triple rad dedicated to the CPU).

jav6454

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
It still remains to be seen what will happen with 1156 so who knows? Also, if I can't convince you of watercooling(might be safest, it's ADDICTIVE) then a better cooler should be on the list as well.

I would suggest the TRUE, OCZ Vendetta 2, Coolermaster Hyper 212 or the Prolimatech Megahalems....unfortunately Newegg only seems to be stocking incredibly BAD air coolers at the moment. And do please keep in mind: i7 is a FURNACE, my 920@stock can manage to hit 50+ under load, and that is under water(triple rad dedicated to the CPU).

Yes I was thinking of water cooling. However, I know squat about it. Literally, I don't even know what kind of liquid it uses.

No1451

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Yes I was thinking of water cooling. However, I know squat about it. Literally, I don't even know what kind of liquid it uses.

Water:p. Usually treated with some form of algaecide, usually a copper/silver based additive, or in some case specially treated tubing, or a 99.99% silver insert to keep growth away.

Either way you go, there is are a LOT of better cooler than the Zalman for around the same price-point, no point going small when you can go big;)

jav6454

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
Water:p. Usually treated with some form of algaecide, usually a copper/silver based additive, or in some case specially treated tubing, or a 99.99% silver insert to keep growth away.

Either way you go, there is are a LOT of better cooler than the Zalman for around the same price-point, no point going small when you can go big;)

I see. Can you point me in the right direction?

No1451

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2008
Ottawa, ON
I see. Can you point me in the right direction?

On a better heatsink or watercooling? NCIXUS.com should have a number of good coolers available, if watercooling is your thing, drop by xtremesystems.org, there are some great guides and product reviews on the forums.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
Ok, I am buying 3 of the following and using them in 3-way SLI: 275 GTX SuperClocked

What is the recommended PSU (Power Supply Unit) Wattage I should get? I am getting 850W because all 3 cards draw a maximum of 660W so that leaves me with 190W left. I don't know if 190W is enough for the rest of the Beast.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
I also found this new cooling unit. I am going to have to go with Liquid Cooling, I sense too much power and heat may damage and feel liquid is the best way to get rid of heat.

SwiftTech H20-220

Thoughts on that?

Also, we are not buying these now. We are waiting on USB 3.0 and GTX 300s to be released before making the plunge. We are just making a list of possible components.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
Little update. I am no longer buying 3 GTXs simply because I realized my PSU can hold only 4 PCIs power connections, meaning, I'd be leaving out some other stuff just for an extra graphics boost that will do squat. So, I keep the same PSU, but loose the third GTX.

jb60606

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2008
Chicago
I'd dump the Intel SSD for a couple HDD in RAID 0, until SSDs drop in price. Otherwise, get the Corsair 128GB "Extreme Series" Indilinx SSD for nearly half the price.

Ttownbeast

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2009
I went a different route, my entire case is refrigerated it uses the fans but is supplemented with a 12 volt system from a cigar lighter powered beer cooler the flow of cold air from the device is directed at the processor mainly but it does circulate throughout the mod keeping everything else cooler as well

jav6454

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
I went a different route, my entire case is refrigerated it uses the fans but is supplemented with a 12 volt system from a cigar lighter powered beer cooler the flow of cold air from the device is directed at the processor mainly but it does circulate throughout the mod keeping everything else cooler as well

I think refrigerated seems a bit too much:D:D:D But, I'd love to see how that works.

Note - In other news relating to my Beast, I am thinking of swapping out the EVGA E760 for the E758. It's ~$180 cheaper and in ATX form instead of E-ATX.

Also, dropped amount of WD drives from 4 to 2. Seeing as 640GB will be enough for quite a time. Yes, it will be in RAID.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
List re-updated to reflect changes to DVD storage and possible case change due to the fact that the Antec case brings a 750W PSU already, hence, I'd pay less.

Ttownbeast

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2009
I think refrigerated seems a bit too much:D:D:D But, I'd love to see how that works.

Note - In other news relating to my Beast, I am thinking of swapping out the EVGA E760 for the E758. It's ~$180 cheaper and in ATX form instead of E-ATX.

Also, dropped amount of WD drives from 4 to 2. Seeing as 640GB will be enough for quite a time. Yes, it will be in RAID.
This is a low tech reefer solution I rigged up cheap it does cool the new case better enabling me to run the CPU at 1.8 rather than the 1.6 a 15 degree drop in temp with it in the new case (comparing with or without just in the new case) the difference from the old case is definitely a plus. Overall it keeps the case cooler than room temp by about 10 degrees (the beer cooler I cannibalized it from was rated for 40 below room temp--I did not expect that much but I expected some) just the case alone it nearly matched room temp (still a little higher). Before with the old case it could get as hot as 25 degrees above room temp inside so the combined cooling and larger case has helped significantly. I posted the project here over a month ago:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/766324/

No1451

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Just a note, that self-contained water unit, while decent will likely not keep up with i7.

If water is a serious consideration, do it right and do it custom. If not doing water, please still dump that terrible air cooler, every review I've seen it in it pulls up the rear:(

jav6454

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
Just a note, that self-contained water unit, while decent will likely not keep up with i7.

If water is a serious consideration, do it right and do it custom. If not doing water, please still dump that terrible air cooler, every review I've seen it in it pulls up the rear:(

Thanks for that. Suggestions? I keep looking at NewEgg, but they seem to have few Water Cooling Units.

XNine

macrumors 68040
Ok.... why?

Look, having 3 graphics cards is a waste of money. Buy one. The new Radeon 5800 line is not only cheaper, but more effective than 3 of those GTX cards. Cooler too and less of a pain in the ass.

Why are you pumping so much money into the system? Seriously, it's effing ridiculous. Antec 1200 is a nice case, but there's better to be had. Specifically any of the Cooler Master Full towers. The Cosmos is phenomenal, superior to the Antec.

Sure, buy an i7. It's so expensive you could buy 4.5 of the highest end AMD CPU's for the cost of the highest end i7 and I guarentee you woun't be using the power of the i7.

SSD is a waste right now. It's too expensive and frankly a RAID will be better cost wise. Newegg has 640 GB WD's for around 64 bucks a piece.

Water cooling's great also, but only if you know what you're doing.

I, unlike others have had no problems with my Zalman coolers. All copper construction ftw.

BTW, nice choice of a name. Macross FTW.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.