Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Jul 13, 2004, 06:58 AM   #1
jp61
macrumors newbie

compatible monitors for mac g5

Hi,
New to the forum! I hope I can get some good answers on this question. I've read some other threads on this topic and there were some good responses, but I'm hoping for some more insight.
I'm in the market for a Mac G5. The computer purchase is a no-brainer, but I'm having difficulty choosing a monitor.
I want an LCD and I'm considering setting up a dual configuration since I do graphics and some video. I did some online searching and learned a lot about LCD's (refresh rate, native resolutions) and started feeling somewhat comfortable in pursuing something.
Of course, then I saw an Apple display and it was incredible! Oh... and it had an incredible price! Apple tells me that I can use another brand of LCD on the G5 but I won't get the same look as I will from an Apple display. Yeah, I also know that the Apple displays are digital. If I go for the Apple display, I'd love to go for the 23".
Should I take a "chance" on a brand like Sony or Samsung or save my pennies and go for the Apple display????

Thanks.
jp61 is offline   0
Old Jul 13, 2004, 07:02 AM   #2
robbieduncan

Pretty much any "normal" LCD will work, just make sure it's got a DVI port on it. Some really cheap panels ship without DVI ports and although you could get it to work it would look much worse. I personally have a Samsung panel at home which is really great.
robbieduncan is offline   0
Old Jul 13, 2004, 09:16 AM   #3
jp61
macrumors newbie

Thanks for your response, robbieduncan. I didn't want to be influenced by the Apple store to purchase something that I may not need (although I would want the Apple display).
I'm on a budget like most people. I don't want to sacrifice the G5's ability to perform with something that wasn't compatible.
Since I work in graphics and web, I'm assuming that I still need to look for something that has a quick refresh rate and 1600X1200? resolution. I'll be switching to different resolutions from time to time in order to view web sites I've constructed.
jp61 is offline   0
Old Jul 13, 2004, 09:17 AM   #4
flanders
macrumors member

last poster is right, any lcd with a DVI connection should work fine. Some analog LCDs have VGA connections, which will work with the G5 (with the DVI->VGA adapter) but will look pretty poor. I can't think of a single panel though that only has the analog connection without a DVI.

I did have a Sony 18" (the premierpro) attached to a G5 for a while, but it didn't look very good--especially with small text--because the pixel width and spacing was off. Once I switched it to an Apple 20" it looked much better.

If you do go with a third-party display, try a Samsung as I've had really good results with them. I'd spring for an Apple display if you want the wide-screen aspect ratio and a more elegant cable solution.
flanders is offline   0
Old Jul 13, 2004, 05:18 PM   #5
7on
macrumors 601

Yeah, Apple uses Samsung LCDs in their machines.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers