Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
In the past I used PT for custom boot logos and increasing the boot partition's size. I never preloaded them with any packages.

Based on how it worked for the 3G, when, or if, PT comes out can you just do a fresh jailbreak and install of all your packages; then PT creates an ipsw with everything in place? Would this mean that once you get everything you want setup the way you want you can always restore to that state?

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
In the past I used PT for custom boot logos and increasing the boot partition's size. I never preloaded them with any packages.

Based on how it worked for the 3G, when, or if, PT comes out can you just do a fresh jailbreak and install of all your packages; then PT creates an ipsw with everything in place? Would this mean that once you get everything you want setup the way you want you can always restore to that state?

I will give you a hint:

When you create your custom IPSW, do not try to load it with packages.

Add Cydia and OpenSSH and very little more. After JB, use Cydia to add whatever else you want.

Plenty of posters have added numerous packages to their IPSW only to see the JB corrupted.

Will save you problems by keeping the JB simple as possible.

After the JB is a success, add all that you want.

IBradMac

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2008
Ohio
I will give you a hint:

When you create your custom IPSW, do not try to load it with packages.

Add Cydia and OpenSSH and very little more. After JB, use Cydia to add whatever else you want.

Plenty of posters have added numerous packages to their IPSW only to see the JB corrupted.

Will save you problems by keeping the JB simple as possible.

After the JB is a success, add all that you want.

+2^ I did just that my first time jailbreaking and had to restore and re-jailbreak. If I recall, I pre loaded several packages.

My biggest problem was Cydia wouldn't hardly open. I would get error messages and all sorts of stuff. + none of the Cydia apps worked.

Do as dhlizard said!

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007

I thought I was slick a few times and wanted to pre-load packages, it's like I shot myself in the foot. The version of Cydia bundled with each version of Pwnage Tool is usually different than what is available for prepackaging and caused all sorts of issues for me

I would only prepackage stuff like OpenSSH, OpenSSL, netcat, less and other command line type utilities. Once your iPhone is up and running, download all the stuff you need. Thankfully I only did this one like a year ago and used AptBackup. Everytime I jailbreak, I download AptBackup first and it get all my apps I had before. Total time saver. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.