Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Sep 29, 2009, 09:20 AM   #1
ibglowin
macrumors regular

Question What's going on with Handbrake and MKV files as of late?

I convert quite a few TV shows (and a few movies) from MKV to TV format via Handbrake. All are 720p. Been doing this for close to 18 months now mostly no problems. Last few months and especially the last few weeks everything I have grabbed and converted has turned out with garbled (stuttering) audio once I convert them to TV. It doesn't matter if it has 5.1 or just 2.0 audio. I have tried the TV preset as well as the TV legacy preset with no difference.

Visualhub sometimes comes to the rescue but since this is no longer being updated its not my first choice. Somtimes the Visual hub encodes have fine audio but the video comes out slightly jerky.

Am I missing something here? Are people encoding MKV files differently?

VLC plays the original MKV files just fine.

I am using the latest build of Handbrake (0.9.3)
ibglowin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2009, 12:03 PM   #2
dynaflash
macrumors 68020

Grab the HB dev snapshot and see if you still have issues.

http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12464
dynaflash is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2009, 01:17 PM   #3
JonHimself
macrumors 68000

I'm having the exact same issue with (what seems like) random mkv files! I haven't grabbed the report or whatever (from HandBrake) to post a question on the handbrake forums but haven't.

I'll try the snapshot as well with a file that I know was resulting the stuttering audio and see what happens.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 01:32 PM   #4
Chad H
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to Chad H
Im wondering whats going on with Meta-x? I can't get it to tag anything now.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 04:52 PM   #5
hitekalex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad H View Post
Im wondering whats going on with Meta-x? I can't get it to tag anything now.
Same here.. It seems like the Meta X cannot correctly tag the M4V files produced by the latest Handbrake snapshot.. That's my theory anyway.

I get loss of audio on most all encodes after passing them through Meta X.
hitekalex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2009, 05:32 PM   #6
mscriv
macrumors 68040

I was getting all kinds of unexpectedly quit errors with MKV files on Handbrake 0.9.3 and updated to the snapshot. Since then I've had no problems and it worked great on every one of the MKV files that the previous version was having problems with. They've released a new snapshot since the one I got about a month ago, but I'm gonna stick with what I have since it's working so well.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 06:37 PM   #7
JonHimself
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitekalex View Post
Same here.. It seems like the Meta X cannot correctly tag the M4V files produced by the latest Handbrake snapshot.. That's my theory anyway.

Are these on files you've put through metax twice? I was having problems if I tagged them, then realized I forgot to add something and re-tagged them... it basically ruined the audio or video (or both sometimes)
Old Sep 29, 2009, 10:13 PM   #8
ibglowin
macrumors regular

Wow, the snapshot did the trick!

Downloaded the latest snapshot version of Handbrake and so far I am 3 for 3 with MKV TV shows that all failed with garbled audio. Very impressive fix!

Now trying out a 720p MKV movie that exhibited the same audio problems.

Can someone tell me why the new TV preset downsizes a 1280 x 720 video to a smaller 960 x ? Isn't it throwing away pixels and thus part of the resolution? Or am I missing something here?
ibglowin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2009, 11:13 AM   #9
Chad H
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

No, I meant I can't get Meta-x to bring up any tag information. I've tried several different movies and it doesn't work. It might bring up one listing but thats it. It used to bring tons. What gives?
Old Sep 30, 2009, 11:20 AM   #10
JonHimself
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad H View Post
No, I meant I can't get Meta-x to bring up any tag information. I've tried several different movies and it doesn't work. It might bring up one listing but thats it. It used to bring tons. What gives?
Actually, I noticed that as well. I usually tag everything myself but I had a bunch of movies to go through and was hoping to let MetaX do it. I couldn't find anything and I was looking for very popular movies that should have been there (old school, doubt, and x-men 2).
Old Sep 30, 2009, 11:37 AM   #11
hitekalex
Banned

That's because MetaX no longer works with Amazon data.. They can only get data from TagChimp, which doesn't have a lot of movies in its database.
hitekalex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2009, 11:51 AM   #12
dynaflash
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibglowin View Post
Can someone tell me why the new TV preset downsizes a 1280 x 720 video to a smaller 960 x ? Isn't it throwing away pixels and thus part of the resolution? Or am I missing something here?
Since the atv can only handle 540p at 29.976 fps, the atv preset in hb assumes the worst from a compatibility standpoint. If you know you're source is 24 or 25 fps then go ahead and up the size to 720p.

.... and no, hb cannot determine the actual source fps until it actually encodes the movie, yes it is sort of guessed at from the preview scan's, but is often wrong.

A thought (and what I do) make you're own preset that uses 720p resoultion if you know you're hd sources are <= 25 fps.
dynaflash is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2009, 04:52 PM   #13
Chad H
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
That's because MetaX no longer works with Amazon data.. They can only get data from TagChimp, which doesn't have a lot of movies in its database.
Is their any other program that can do it?
Old Oct 5, 2009, 06:52 AM   #14
boomish
Banned

weird I am having exactly the same problem I have been trying to convert 3 MKV movies for past 2 weeks now , all show different amounts of jerky video when finished. PLus Metax now no longer works, it must be an update from Apple I presume. Or as previous post says maybe they are enconding MKV files differently.

I have tried every app to do the conversions but none work , always this jerky frame rate. About to install Fin Cut Pro 3 and try using the new compressor in that, I tried it once before but it took forever and that was with a 8 core Mac pro.
If anyone finds a solution let us know please..
boomish is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2009, 09:41 AM   #15
Danksi
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynaflash View Post
Grab the HB dev snapshot and see if you still have issues.

http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12464
I was having garbled audio problems with the last few MKV's, converted to Handbrake's Universal setting. The latest snapshot at the time, fixed the problem. I'm trying the 64-bit version. Thanks for the link.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 02:29 PM   #16
richardhunt
macrumors regular

The issue with the mkv files was a mux issue. If the mkv file was produced with one of the newer versions of mkv tools, then you'd get the garbled audio. The fix was to re-mux using an older version of mkv tools and that would fix the problem (I'm using version 2.0). I have not tried the new snapshot of handbrake but I will now, since it apparently fixes the problem and saves me the step of re-muxing.
richardhunt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2009, 04:14 PM   #17
EarthDawn
macrumors 6502a

I gave up on using MetaX as good and easy as it was I just kept getting stumped with issues...
Old Oct 19, 2009, 05:34 PM   #18
k21975
macrumors newbie

I am having both of the issues in this thread... The original HB MKV stuttering audio and the hijacked MetaX issue.

I, of course, will try the latest HB build as others have said that it fixes the problem. For some additional info, I am converting 720p Movies from MKV to TV. I found that any of the movies that had the issue showed a 'Bit Rate' in iTunes of less than 100 kbps. Not sure if that helps anyone...

MetaX on the other hand just sucks now.
k21975 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater