Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Jul 13, 2004, 10:39 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Why Apple Needs To Shine Up iMac Despite iPod's success, t...

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Why Apple Needs To Shine Up iMac
Despite iPod\'s success, the company gets most of its sales from computers

Posted on MacBytes.com

Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Jul 13, 2004, 11:40 AM   #2
millhouse_man
macrumors member

No mention of the eMac, which is a solid, yet affordable machine for students. In my opinion, more students would buy an eMac rather than shell out a few hundred more bucks for an iMac.
millhouse_man is offline   0
Old Jul 13, 2004, 12:15 PM   #3
nagromme
macrumors G5

Exactly. "Apple won't have a home PC to sell." (And what about laptops for education? They're in good supply, with $200 off an iPod thrown in.) And what is the point of saying Apple needs a new iMac... when one has already been designed and pre-announced? Not a lot of valuable insight there

Also... heat and manufacturing difficulties with the G5s have caused delays in several areas. PowerMacs, Xserves, and probaby iMacs. Articles like to treat the issue like it's several problems when it's just one--and one that is not permanent. It's part of a difficult but huge step forward to faster CPUs. Intel's having similar problems to IBM's. And then SOME articles throw the iPod Mini into the doom scenario too... as if selling every drive Hitachi could make was a bad thing

Lastly, Apple's products get watched more closely than others. Apple has a loyal user base, with good reason. And they often innovate for the whole industry, who then copies them. Nobody much cares if Dell's new laptops are just the old with a new CPU. Not like they care about delays from Apple. So Apple get slammed for announcing before something's certain, for announcing too LITTLE and being secretive, and for failing to predict issues with their suppliers--especially IBM's CPUs.

That's a unique position Apple is in, and the attention may seem negative sometimes. But they have lots of reasons to be glad to be in the spotlight so much.

And they WILL survive shipping delays

Last edited by nagromme; Jul 13, 2004 at 12:26 PM.
nagromme is offline   0
Old Jul 13, 2004, 03:46 PM   #4
OhEsTen
macrumors regular

I concur.
OhEsTen is offline   0
Old Jul 13, 2004, 05:16 PM   #5
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by millhouse_man
No mention of the eMac, which is a solid, yet affordable machine for students. In my opinion, more students would buy an eMac rather than shell out a few hundred more bucks for an iMac.
I agree - for those students buying a desktop, most of them would opt for an eMac instead of an iMac for price reasons, since most students don't have lots of spare cash. The only reason to consider an iMac, if you're a student, is the "cool" factor of owning one and having it on display
Old Jul 13, 2004, 07:02 PM   #6
nagromme
macrumors G5

The iMac swing arm is certainly very useful--and much lighter than the eMac! But you get the same computing power for less with an eMac.
nagromme is offline   0
Old Jul 13, 2004, 08:10 PM   #7
trebblekicked
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to trebblekicked
nothing new in the article. the edu market nowadays is all about laptops anyway. the imac is a weird beast. you've gotta wonder what it could have done, if the g4 hadn't wussed out the way it did. anyway, i'll probably never buy an imac, but i can't wait to see what they do with it in september.

i did like two things: his appraisal that apple's not out to prove it's investors that they can regain market share so much as keep innovating and delivering good product, and i rather liked the closing line:
Quote:
When you build concept cars for the industry, there's bound to be a few crashes
Old Jul 14, 2004, 12:02 AM   #8
sjk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme
But you get the same computing power for less with an eMac.
And an 8x SuperDrive. Plus DIMMs are cheaper than SO-DIMMs; I bought a 1GB DIMM for my eMac for $200 (from transintl.com). I'm hoping the iMac replacement has at least two user-accessible DIMM slots.
sjk is offline   0
Old Jul 14, 2004, 11:08 AM   #9
mrsebastian
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to mrsebastian
the headline is enough for me not to read this article... can this be anymore obvious?!

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion