Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jalaska13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
Hey hey, Josh here. I use grooveshark (really wonderful website), and I upload music from my computer so I can listen to it elsewhere. Big problem though- it doesn't accept .m4a file format. No problemo, I've got Switch, the audio conversion software. Now another, not so solvable problem- While Switch does quite successfully convert all those darn .m4a files, it doesn't keep the song information in them (the stuff that tells the next computer you send them to who the artist is, album name, etc). This would be all well and good if it weren't for the fact that grooveshark won't accept files without ALL THREE of the following categories filled out IN THE FILE ITSELF: Title, Artist, Album.
So what do I need? I'm looking for good, reliable freeware that can convert all my .m4a files into .mp3, AND maintain the song information so that they're compatible with grooveshark. Anybody got any ideas?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
... I'm looking for good, reliable freeware that can convert all my .m4a files into .mp3, AND maintain the song information so that they're compatible with grooveshark. Anybody got any ideas?

iTunes will do this. Set "mp3" as the format for ripped CDs. Highlite the tracks you want to convert and right click and choose "convert to...". Them highlight the mp3 files then file->show in Finder.

Sounds like a lot of work but you can highlite 1,000 songs at once if you want

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.