Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevearm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
I'm after a bit of advice please...

I have a desktop, and a new uMBP. The PC desktop is what I use to sync my iPhone.

Is there any way to use both machines to sync my phone with? The thing is I don't have any applications on my MBP, but I thought it would copy the apps from my iPhone to my second iTunes library? Would it also copy the missing mp3 files across to my new MBP?

Basically I'm wondering whether it's a good idea to have two machines that sync with my phone.

Thanks all, I'd appreciate any tips.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
Currently, iPods and iPhones sync to one iTunes installation only.

However, the Home Sharing function of the new iTunes 9 should allow you to consolidate your apps and media onto one or the other computer rather easily; you can then sync from that computer.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Currently, iPods and iPhones sync to one iTunes installation only.

Not completely true. You can sync different types of information with different computers. For instance, I sync my Address Book and iCal with my work computer, but music and movies with my home computer. Certain things are tied together (like everything on the info tab, music and movies) but they can be synced from different computers.

I realize this isn't what the OP was asking for, but I wanted to clarify for any others reading this thread.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
Thanks, tobefirst. I stand corrected.

The OP was wondering if, after he synced his iPhone on his PC desktop with both apps and music, re-syncing it to his MBP would also copy music from the iPhone (that was once on the PC only) onto the MBP, not just the apps. From my understanding, iTunes normally doesn't allow that specific action, as it would make casual music pirating very easy. Of course, that's not necessarily what stevearm is doing; that's just Apple's reasoning behind the one-way sync.

There are programs, though, that help transfer music from an iPod or iPhone to a computer. **cough**Senuti**cough**.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.