Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alleyoop

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Am I supposed to "Reset All Settings' under settings>general>reset when I buy a used iPhone off Craigslist that isn't jailbroken and still has previous owners music, etc on it?

I am having a hard time getting the goPhone sim to work, jailbreaking, and even restoring (without having to upgrade from 3.0). All I have is WiFi and 'no service' on the top.

Not sure if I should be doing something else. My apps won't sync to this phone either. And the last guys name still pops up on iTunes and I can't find a way to put mine on.

I am so tired of wasting time trying to get this to work! Ahhh!

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Am I supposed to "Reset All Settings' under settings>general>reset when I buy a used iPhone off Craigslist that isn't jailbroken and still has previous owners music, etc on it?

I am having a hard time getting the goPhone sim to work, jailbreaking, and even restoring (without having to upgrade from 3.0). All I have is WiFi and 'no service' on the top.

Not sure if I should be doing something else. My apps won't sync to this phone either. And the last guys name still pops up on iTunes and I can't find a way to put mine on.

I am so tired of wasting time trying to get this to work! Ahhh!

If you throw that switch, I believe you will have to restore the phone thru iTunes. To get rid of the former owner's info, you will probably want to restore it anyway.

If you need to unlock your phone to use with another carrier (like T-mobile) do not update it to 3.1 or it will be locked to AT&T.

Edit: I see you have another thread going for this phone problem....

Alleyoop

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Perhaps you should get rid of the phone, then. Use google to search out the answers to your questions.

You need to use Google and find out if the GoPhone sims even work in an iPhone, sorry, I don't know the answer..

Sorry, I thought that was a little rude. I have spent countless hours, actually months researching all this stuff. I am on limited time to get this to work before I have to go on vacation, so I don't want to get rid of the phone, I am just frustrated because I time is running out.

I have used Google and MRoogle to find out of the goPhone sim works on the 3G. There is a ton of conflicted information and I could post links if you would like to see.

I was not asking for info on how to do jailbreaking, restoring and sim info on this thread. I was simply stating I did all that and it did not work, so was wondering if I needed to 'reset all settings' from the iPhone under settings>general>reset. I wanted to know if that would help and if anyone had any input.

My problem with restoring is that iTunes is trying to force me to upgrade to 3.1 when I restore, even though I have the 3.0 ipsw downloaded. I have tried pressing 'command' on mac while restoring to see if it will give me the 3.0 option but it is not helping.

When I jailbreak with redsn0w I get stuck on 'downloading jailbreak data' and nothing happens. I tried multiple ipsw's from different sites, did it multiple times, tried a bunch of the tricks and still no go. I have done it successfully before on an iPod Touch, but not working this time. As you can see every path I have been taking is leading me to a dead end, thus the frustration.

I am not just an idiot who hasn't googled anything. I have googled and googled and googled until I just decided to start posting for help.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Sorry, I thought that was a little rude. I have spent countless hours, actually months researching all this stuff. I am on limited time to get this to work before I have to go on vacation, so I don't want to get rid of the phone, I am just frustrated because I time is running out.

I have used Google and MRoogle to find out of the goPhone sim works on the 3G. There is a ton of conflicted information and I could post links if you would like to see.

I was not asking for info on how to do jailbreaking, restoring and sim info on this thread. I was simply stating I did all that and it did not work, so was wondering if I needed to 'reset all settings' from the iPhone under settings>general>reset. I wanted to know if that would help and if anyone had any input.

My problem with restoring is that iTunes is trying to force me to upgrade to 3.1 when I restore, even though I have the 3.0 ipsw downloaded. I have tried pressing 'command' on mac while restoring to see if it will give me the 3.0 option but it is not helping.

When I jailbreak with redsn0w I get stuck on 'downloading jailbreak data' and nothing happens. I tried multiple ipsw's from different sites, did it multiple times, tried a bunch of the tricks and still no go. I have done it successfully before on an iPod Touch, but not working this time. As you can see every path I have been taking is leading me to a dead end, thus the frustration.

I am not just an idiot who hasn't googled anything. I have googled and googled and googled until I just decided to start posting for help.

I edited my post after finding your other thread about the same phone.

My reply was based strictly on what you typed in this thread: you stated you were sick of messing with the phone.

And, once I chanced upon and read the other thread, I see you actually did try and research your problem, which one would never know from just reading this thread.

So, I removed part of my response, giving you credit for your efforts.

Had all of this been in one thread, this would of been a non-issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.