Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bennieboy©

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2009
england
Been thinking about what trying this might entail, i'm thinking about getting a Mac mini core duo 07 maybe, and i've got G5 at the moment, i dont want to bin the G5 but the power of the mini would prolly beat it, so i wanted to rip the G5 apart and the mini and put the mini's guts in the G5 case for the space, and futher upgrade options not being a PITA, has anyone else tried this, i've looked on google but nothing came up other then the Macbytes bit about the G5 styled mini case lol

sorry if this is the wrong section, couldnt think where else to put it

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Well, it's easy enough. Remove the case and mount it. You can even use 3.5" drive.

However you can sell the G5 for a decent amount of money, so you probably don't want to do it.

Bennieboy©

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2009
england
yeah been thinking about that too but i honestly dont have a clue how much it'd be worth, added to that i have a two screen set up, and i know a mac mini can only drive one out of the box, thats partly why i thought of the conversion and i wanted to keep the 2 HD i've got already without having to buy new smaller ones and faff about doing back ups and transfers

Buzz Bumble

Oct 19, 2008
New Zealand
Why rip the Mac Mini apart?? You could just put it inside the G5 case and all (it might have to stand on it's side though), then bung up some shelving inside the G5 case to hold external hard drives, etc. plugged into the Mini. :)

People have put Mac Mini machines into all sorts of things, including a PlaySkool Millennium Falcon toy.

Bennieboy©

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2009
england
ripped apart because it'd be tidier, and just putting the mini case in a empty G5 case wouldnt solve the upgrade space problems ;)

Bennieboy©

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2009
england
hmmm thanks i used it and well, it wont lemme enter the fact i've got a 1.5Tb HD and puts the value at 330 quid :( bit less then i was hoping but hey ho

iPhone 62S

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2009
hmmm thanks i used it and well, it wont lemme enter the fact i've got a 1.5Tb HD and puts the value at 330 quid :( bit less then i was hoping but hey ho

It's also worth looking at what similar systems are going for on eBay, because that site is only a estimate/guideline really.

Bennieboy©

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2009
england
It's also worth looking at what similar systems are going for on eBay, because that site is only a estimate/guideline really.

yeah thats the other trouble about it, i hawk ebay like a nut possessed and i've never come across a system thats even close to mine, at the moment im trying to facture in how much i've spent against everything else and how much money it's lost and well haha i dont think anyone would buy if i put it up at the price i want for it
sorry, am a complete noob at this selling lark haha i'm more a consumer then seller,

lol im trying to get my 250 posts here so i can shifty about in the marketplace and see whats what :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.