Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

karizmarcel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2009
I have a powerbook g5 10.3.9. The CD drive is broke so i need to use my firewire external drive to install lepord. So i think i need to make my external drive bootable (without erasing the whole drive if possible). CCC or Superduper would not work on my OS. I kept getting errror messages like for CCC "no mountable file system" and panther doesnt meet Superduper requirements. Is there any other options for me?:mad::confused::(:apple:

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Well, if you can afford to wipe the two drives, you could just install Leopard straight onto the firewire external from another Mac (sounds like you have one). Then hook it to the PowerBook, boot off of it, and clone to the internal drive.

Leopard installs are universal, so this should work so long as you format the external correctly (I think it'll let you install onto a non-GUID volume from an Intel Mac, assuming that's what you've got, which would be fine because you don't need to actually boot from the external on the computer you're installing from, and I've read you can get that to work anyway).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.