Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 1, 2009, 09:58 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Why Companies Are Switching From BlackBerry To iPhone (AAPL,...




Category: Apple Hardware
Link: Why Companies Are Switching From BlackBerry To iPhone (AAPL, RIMM)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Oct 2, 2009, 12:17 AM   #2
DMann
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: 10023
iPhones are beginning to take share away from the Black Berry - hopefully encryption will soon be deployed to keep the momentum.
DMann is offline   0
Old Oct 2, 2009, 02:08 AM   #3
Rodimus Prime
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
wow that article was full of a lot of miss infomation and down right lies.

Lets pick it appart.
First Cost -- What the hell is all I have to say. If a company has BES it is because they want control over the device and for security. Something not offered on the other devices. The companies can and do us BIS which cost them nothing. It is free to the companies so cost argument goes out the windows

Internation access--- If they are going to japan they are going to get the bold and are going to more than likely being using BES any how so again goes back to control but pretty much a crap argument any how.

Web surfing. Ok got to give it author there. iPhone rules for web surfing.


For the most part this author is dumb and used crap arguments and clearly does not understand why companies like the blackberry.
Rodimus Prime is offline   0
Old Oct 2, 2009, 06:50 AM   #4
BongoBanger
macrumors 68000
 
BongoBanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
I think the iPhone will capture a limited market share here however the author seems to be missing the rather obvious point that other phones offer the services he mentions and cost less to maintain than either Blackberry or the iPhone.
__________________
Unibody Macbook 2.0 Ghz
Quad Core Mesh 2.4Ghz
Nokia 5800
BongoBanger is offline   0
Old Oct 2, 2009, 07:18 AM   #5
boscher
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodimus Prime View Post
wow that article was full of a lot of miss infomation and down right lies.

Lets pick it appart.
First Cost -- What the hell is all I have to say. If a company has BES it is because they want control over the device and for security. Something not offered on the other devices. The companies can and do us BIS which cost them nothing. It is free to the companies so cost argument goes out the windows

Internation access--- If they are going to japan they are going to get the bold and are going to more than likely being using BES any how so again goes back to control but pretty much a crap argument any how.

Web surfing. Ok got to give it author there. iPhone rules for web surfing.


For the most part this author is dumb and used crap arguments and clearly does not understand why companies like the blackberry.
Just to clarify...you do have to purchase a separate Blackberry Enterprise Server and any Blackberry that attaches to that server has to pay a subscription per year. I work at a large firm in IT and we were able to save millions by restricting BBs to top management only. Everyone else was forced to switch to horrible Windows Mobile and were quite upset...and now we are using iPhones and everyone could not be happier. Even those who have Blackberries are switching to iPhones...
boscher is offline   0
Old Oct 2, 2009, 08:31 AM   #6
cohibadad
macrumors 6502a
 
cohibadad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by boscher View Post
Just to clarify...you do have to purchase a separate Blackberry Enterprise Server and any Blackberry that attaches to that server has to pay a subscription per year. I work at a large firm in IT and we were able to save millions by restricting BBs to top management only. Everyone else was forced to switch to horrible Windows Mobile and were quite upset...and now we are using iPhones and everyone could not be happier. Even those who have Blackberries are switching to iPhones...
iPhones with Snow Leopard server and you have just eliminated any per seat licensing fees. I had a choice at my business to upgrade my Exchange server or eliminate it and switch to SL server for our iPhones. We're mid-switch right now.
cohibadad is offline   0
Old Oct 2, 2009, 09:37 AM   #7
Rodimus Prime
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by boscher View Post
Just to clarify...you do have to purchase a separate Blackberry Enterprise Server and any Blackberry that attaches to that server has to pay a subscription per year. I work at a large firm in IT and we were able to save millions by restricting BBs to top management only. Everyone else was forced to switch to horrible Windows Mobile and were quite upset...and now we are using iPhones and everyone could not be happier. Even those who have Blackberries are switching to iPhones...
Then you care to explain to me why the company I worked for judt used BIS for there BB which did not add the extra cost of BES. The just had IMPA in the BB through itM

The author does not know ehat he is talking about. BES just gives IT a lot more control over BB something that can not be done with the iPhone
Rodimus Prime is offline   0
Old Oct 2, 2009, 09:51 AM   #8
diamond.g
macrumors Demi-God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cohibadad View Post
iPhones with Snow Leopard server and you have just eliminated any per seat licensing fees. I had a choice at my business to upgrade my Exchange server or eliminate it and switch to SL server for our iPhones. We're mid-switch right now.
I am curious to know how it does for disk access. I am assuming SL still does flat file email (versus storing in a DB). I am also curious to know how you guys are doing push (I am assuming you are going to use IMAP IDLE).
diamond.g is offline   0
Old Oct 2, 2009, 09:53 AM   #9
sushi
Moderator emeritus
 
sushi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: キャンプスワンピー [Japan]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodimus Prime View Post
Internation access--- If they are going to japan they are going to get the bold and are going to more than likely being using BES any how so again goes back to control but pretty much a crap argument any how.
Curious. Why you say this?
__________________
You only live twice, once when you are born, and when you look death in the face. *Basho style poem from 007 YOLT.
sushi is offline   0
Old Oct 2, 2009, 10:04 AM   #10
OllyW
Moderator
 
OllyW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The Black Country, England
But I thought Apple claimed the iPhone is not intended for Business use?
__________________
Some Apple stuff
Some other stuff
https://soundcloud.com/disco-tramps
OllyW is offline   0
Old Oct 2, 2009, 10:06 AM   #11
edesignuk
Moderator emeritus
 
edesignuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi View Post
Curious. Why you say this?
Possibly assuming that business users travelling internationally are likely to be from larger firms, which without doubt will be using a BES.
__________________
edesignuk is offline   0
Old Oct 2, 2009, 10:50 AM   #12
Silencio
macrumors 68000
 
Silencio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodimus Prime View Post
Then you care to explain to me why the company I worked for judt used BIS for there BB which did not add the extra cost of BES. The just had IMPA in the BB through itM

The author does not know ehat he is talking about. BES just gives IT a lot more control over BB something that can not be done with the iPhone
BES is what an enterprise pays RIMM the big bucks for to have their BlackBerry server in-house.

BIS is where you send all your BlackBerry data to Canada and back.

BES does give you a lot of control over your devices, but it costs a flippin' fortune.

Grossly overpriced middleware is the dirty little secret of the BlackBerry ecosystem. Such scenarios never last forever as customers inexorably gravitate towards more direct, cheaper solutions. Now that Microsoft is letting other companies use ActiveSync, BES is going to see a slow but steady decline.

I am a system administrator at a small company. We run Kerio Mail Server, which supports iPhones perfectly well through ActiveSync. I have to shell out $50/yr for a license for AstraSync or NotifySync for each BlackBerry user I've got, and neither of those two apps is what I'd call easy to configure or bug-free by any stretch.

iPhones work out of the box with Exchange servers and don't require any additional expensive middleware to function properly. That's why the iPhone has appeal to business now.
__________________
"The times they are a changin', and some traditional PC folks feel like their world is slipping away. It is."
Silencio is offline   0
Old Oct 2, 2009, 04:30 PM   #13
Razz
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
BES & Exchange

The argument that BES costs and BIS is free is true.

The point of BES simply offering control and that BIS is the substitute does not look at all situations. That control is available in other phones at no additional cost in specific situations. Many companies don't use BES or nothing. Many use Exchange and the BES is used for integration into an exchange environment. At that point it is a double dip into IT budgets. If I can deploy a phone that handles data and email well (Another discussion entirely), and can use ActiveSync, then why also pay the insane BES fees. In a migration to Ex07 a client's BES required upgrade. That would have added cost increases to the job when a case could be made to use the migration to phase out the BES for ActiveSync and save money. I can remote wipe, integrate an existing Exchange environ and have the control without the cost. And not send my data to Canada.

Now, if a design has no Exchange server, a small number of users, and no control issues then yes, Use BIS. But I would then suggest the client would be better with a SBS to get Exchange or to use a Apple Server or Kirio.

Razz
__________________
15" MBP 2.4 GHz 4GB
Razz is offline   0
Old Oct 3, 2009, 12:00 AM   #14
sushi
Moderator emeritus
 
sushi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: キャンプスワンピー [Japan]
Quote:
Originally Posted by edesignuk View Post
Possibly assuming that business users travelling internationally are likely to be from larger firms, which without doubt will be using a BES.
Thanks. That makes sense.

Naive question here. Wouldn't the iPhone be as easy to use around the world, albeit expensive due to roaming charges? Also, I would imagine that large companies can get reduced roaming charge rates.

Silencio and Razz; good info. Makes understanding the RIM and their system much easier.
__________________
You only live twice, once when you are born, and when you look death in the face. *Basho style poem from 007 YOLT.
sushi is offline   0
Old Oct 3, 2009, 09:59 AM   #15
cwt1nospam
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by BongoBanger View Post
... other phones offer the services he mentions and cost less to maintain than either Blackberry or the iPhone.
Sheesh! Services don't count for anything unless people want to use them.

Lots of phones had lots of capabilities not found in the Blackberry or the iPhone, but very few people were willing to take the time and effort required to use them. Doing things well is important, and it's the reason the iPhone is going to dominate the market.
cwt1nospam is offline   0
Old Oct 3, 2009, 03:29 PM   #16
BongoBanger
macrumors 68000
 
BongoBanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwt1nospam View Post
Sheesh! Services don't count for anything unless people want to use them.

Lots of phones had lots of capabilities not found in the Blackberry or the iPhone, but very few people were willing to take the time and effort required to use them. Doing things well is important, and it's the reason the iPhone is going to dominate the market.
Except these are business phones, chief. Most IT departments probably don't really care about non-essential bells and whistles and purchasing departments most certainly don't. If it does secure e-mail and perhaps a bit of sharepoint and office doc editing then that's all it needs.

As for 'dominate', it doesn't even do that in the consumer space.
__________________
Unibody Macbook 2.0 Ghz
Quad Core Mesh 2.4Ghz
Nokia 5800
BongoBanger is offline   0


 
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What I think AAPL will do with iPhone 6. SolarShane iPhone 19 Apr 7, 2014 01:27 PM
switching back to blackberry advice. lifeproof123 iPhone 19 Sep 16, 2012 11:26 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:27 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC