Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Oct 2, 2009, 09:46 AM   #1
MrMacMini
macrumors regular

Hiding Mac Mini HTPC in Another Room...How to control it

I have a very small house, needless to say also have a Small Living Room and a lot of Home Theater equipment. For years Ive been planning to build a Home Theater rack in the garage to make more room in my living room.

Well now that Ive discovered the Mac Mini and Plex I have a little problem...How do I control it? I have snatch on my iPhone which works great....if the Mini is on and not in sleep mode.

Is there a way to wake it, without having to go into the garage and manually do it?
Old Oct 2, 2009, 10:13 AM   #2
cpjakes
macrumors 6502

Have you thought about a Bluetooth keyboard/mouse? Those are able to wake the computer from sleep and should work through one wall if the distance isn't too great.

The other option might be an IR extender cable that you can route to the front of your system in the living room and use the Apple remote.
cpjakes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2009, 10:17 AM   #3
tbayrgs
macrumors 68040

I use Air Mouse and my mini wakes from sleep upon opening the app. Are you sure you can't do the same with snatch? Have you set your mini to wake from sleep by connection from other computers? I'm paraphrasing as i'm on my phone and can't see the exact wording on my Mac--the option is located under the energy saver settings in system preferences.
tbayrgs is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2009, 10:22 AM   #4
MrMacMini
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpjakes View Post
Have you thought about a Bluetooth keyboard/mouse? Those are able to wake the computer from sleep and should work through one wall if the distance isn't too great.

The other option might be an IR extender cable that you can route to the front of your system in the living room and use the Apple remote.
Bluetooth wont be and option because the Mini will be atleast 40ft away and a few walls in between.

I will already be using an IR extender for all my other components......So this could be a good option but Air Mouse also looks good too.

Thanks for the info...
Old Oct 2, 2009, 11:21 AM   #5
VirtualRain
macrumors 603

There are seveal iphone/itouch apps that will do what you want. Snatch, remotepad, hipporemote, etc.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 11:34 AM   #6
mscriv
macrumors 68040

Just try not to lose your iPhone/iPod Touch as often as people tend to lose the TV remote and you'll be okay.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater