Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macinposh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2006
Kreplakistan
Soo,inherited a dual 2.0 G5 with a problem.

On startup,no chime and it either gives a double or triple led flash,depending on the memory stick config (4x1gb). Now pintpointing what the issue is.
Done the smu(?) reset from the mobo,reseated the memory etc.
Power goes on,you can hear optical and HDD spinning,fans blow normally,no beeps.

What could the issue be? Dead battery on mobo (probable?) ,dead mermorycontroller/mobo?

Anyone care to give pointers,I would be appreciated!

Cheers!

Dr.Pants

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
I'm not the best at these problems, but have you considered that you might have a bad DIMM? Try booting with different variations of matched pairs. If still nothing works, then it probably would be something on the logic board.

Macinposh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2006
Kreplakistan
I'm not the best at these problems, but have you considered that you might have a bad DIMM? Try booting with different variations of matched pairs. If still nothing works, then it probably would be something on the logic board.

Yep,forgot to say that I tried all possible configs : single,single pair,all,different positions etc..
Afaik,the G5d2 needs its memory in pairs,going from 1/1 seating upwards?
If I put some weird memory combinations,it does the three flashes, if I seat them "proper",then the two.

The hdd spinups and random reads it does a bit against the logic board failure?
I mean,met one dead lb and it was basically mute,it didnt speed up the fans,ramp up the fans speed,engage ODD/HDD.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Hmm...
No fans of the failed battery theory? Old user said boot issue started to get more frequent. Wich speaks agains lb failure? Remember my old G4 doing the same thing.
Or,again,am I being too optimistic here?
:D

Replace the battery ... always the cheapest alternative to replacing the mobo or power supply.

Most of the Mac I had the battery was just a PIA with the clock, though Apple did do some machines where the machine simply fails to boot when the battery dies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.