Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Oct 2, 2009, 01:27 PM   #1
carterx
macrumors member

What is the difference between Cocoa & Xcode?

I'm looking to try and self teach myself the basics of Cocoa then get into some minor Mac App developing but what is the difference between Cocoa & Xcode? Should I be trying to learn the basics of Cocoa or Xcode or is it technicly the same thing.

Just looking to get my feet in the water to at least start reading up on the basics.
carterx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2009, 01:49 PM   #2
kainjow
Moderator emeritus

In a nutshell:

Cocoa is the library of code you use to write applications. Cocoa usually refers to user interface code, such as windows and menu bars, but it also refers to code that lets you work with various data types, such as arrays.

Xcode is the tool, specifically Integrated Development Environment, that you use to write your code and turn it into an actual application.
kainjow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2009, 02:23 PM   #3
GorillaPaws
macrumors 6502a

To put it another way, Xcode is an app that lets you write Cocoa, but Xcode also lets you write code for other frameworks, using other languages. Likewise, Cocoa doesn't have to be written with Xcode; it can be written in any text editor. However, due to many conveniences, you'll typically find most people writing Cocoa Apps using Xcode and Interface Builder.

You'll definitely want to learn Xcode and Interface Builder, but these are typically taught as you need them in most tutorials on Cocoa. When you're first starting out, you'll probably be using a text editor and the terminal. Take a look at the guides section at the top of the programming forum for some helpful references as well as doing a search for learning to program Cocoa. There's a lot of really helpful information available on this site for beginners.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 02:23 PM   #4
AJClayton
macrumors regular

In addition to the reply above that answers your query very well, just a thought on the book you may choose. I found Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X by Aaron Hillegass excellent. If you go for this, make sure it's the third edition you buy as the first two releases of this book are now seriously out of date.

Good luck with your programming! Drink plenty of coffee...
Old Oct 2, 2009, 02:56 PM   #5
Consultant
macrumors G5

If you can't figure that out, attempting to be a developer is probably not the best idea.
Consultant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2009, 03:17 PM   #6
carterx
macrumors member

thanks for the tips everyone.
carterx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2009, 03:54 PM   #7
admanimal
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaPaws View Post
To put it another way, Xcode is an app that lets you write Cocoa, but Xcode also lets you write code for other frameworks, using other languages.
Just to mince words, you don't write Cocoa- you write Objective-C code (or possibly another language) that uses Cocoa.
admanimal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2009, 04:57 PM   #8
GorillaPaws
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by admanimal View Post
Just to mince words, you don't write Cocoa- you write Objective-C code (or possibly another language) that uses Cocoa.
You are correct, although it's pretty common to see that phrase with the implied meaning you stated. My apologies to the OP if that was a point of confusion.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 01:00 AM   #9
electroshock
macrumors 6502a

Another way of looking at it, if it helps make it a bit more clear:

Windows:

C++ (programming language) using Microsoft Foundation Class library (provided premade functions) with the Visual C++ IDE (editing and compiling environment).

C# using .NET Framework (which includes a class library) with the Visual Studio IDE.

MacOS X:

Objective-C using Cocoa library with the Xcode IDE.

Bottom line is:

Language, library, editor. Cocoa being the library and Xcode being the editor and compiler.
electroshock is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2009, 02:19 AM   #10
admanimal
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by electroshock View Post
Language, library, editor. Cocoa being the library and Xcode being the editor and compiler.
XCode isn't a compiler, just an IDE. GCC is the compiler that XCode uses for your code.
admanimal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 09:37 AM   #11
JamesCCook
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consultant View Post
If you can't figure that out, attempting to be a developer is probably not the best idea.
What's with the hate? Why discourage someone who asks sincerely for your help and knowledge?
JamesCCook is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 03:52 PM   #12
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
XCode isn't a compiler, just an IDE. GCC is the compiler that XCode uses for your code.
I realize this post is 4 years old, but because someone else revised the topic today I thought I'd just mention that the compiler that Xcode now uses is Clang.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 09:23 PM   #13
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601

Quote:
Not in 10.9.

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming