Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pepita

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 8, 2004
eu
I'm going to get a new iBook G4 and I'm really not sure if it's worth selling the old PowerBook or keep it as a second machine "just in case".

It's PowerBook G3 Firewire a.k.a. "Pismo" that's lasted me four years now, and I'd bought it second-hand... It has a brand new battery, brand new keyboard, replaced HD with a 30GB one, and I added RAM for a total of 768MB.

Is it worth selling it? How much could I be making? Or should I keep it? It's still an excellent laptop for what it is, and I'm so fond of it...But then, if I won't be using it anymore, maybe it makes more sense to pass it on and say goodbye :(

What do you suggest?

FelixDerKater

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2002
Nirgendwo in Amerika
Check for pricing on eBay... It is up to you to decide as to whether the going price for that PowerBook makes it a good deal for you to sell. We can't decide that for you. Chances are that you, like most of the people who post similar questions on here, already have a decision in mind and are merely seeking approval so that you can feel good about the decision that you came to. :)

pepita

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 8, 2004
eu
Felix, I have indeed checked some of the prices for used Pismos... I know I wouldn't make a lot, but it would still be a nice contribution towards paying for the new iBook.

I understand my question sounds pointless because yes, ultimately it's me who has to make up my mind, but honestly, I really don't know what to do!

I've changed my mind on this a lot in the past few months as I was considering buying the new iBook. So I really would appreciate advice, possibly from people who also have/had a PowerBook G3 and moved on to a newer machine.

I am fond of the Pismo but I was just as fond of the first iMacs and I already sold two. So I know I can reach the necessary emotional detachment to part company with it, hard as it may be ;)

But I'm trying to figure out the pros and cons of selling or keeping, respectively... On a purely practical, common-sense level. I've been advised to always have a backup machine in case one fails, but I've never had a Mac fail me so never needed a temporary fallback. And I do have an external FW hard disk for backing up files. On the other hand, this is still a nice machine, so even if I want the higher speed and power of a G4, maybe I could keep it around.

Oh, I just don't know.

The more I try to reach a conclusion the more confused and undecided I get. That's why hearing from others might help. :)

unregbaron

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2002
I am in the same boat with a pismo - just got a 15" pb...

I am thinking as it has an airport card might be good to have say pismo in the kitchen/tv room as a more rugged/less precious option esp for internet using the new airport express and keep new machine upstairs for serious stuff.

I think this new airport thing is going to really change things

why don't you jkust wait and see how things go? if you keep on seeing the pismo as $'s then maybe a good sign to sell -- if there's no urgency hang to it - at the moment I kind of a 2nd functioning machine you know and trust is better than whatever £/$/€ you will get for it. Maybe a purely PB thing but might be occasions when you woudl take your pismo along but not your new machine.

Solafaa

macrumors 6502a
If you dont need it sell it, i have an iBook and it works great with no problem. Like you said you had the older modle for 4 years now and it was 2nd hand laptop. I think you should just sell it since you would be able to everything you did on it in the new iBook.

krimson

macrumors 65816
wow.. it really is tough.. i've considered selling the pismo ($500-600USD on ebay) and getting a newer ibook, but i do love the thing.. it's so beautiful, even though the apple is upside-down when open ;)

for me, i decided to keep it.. if i needed more processing power, i could always get a G4 upgrade. The 2 bays (i.e. 2 batteries for outdoor photo sessions) was a real plus for keeping it.

FelixDerKater

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2002
Nirgendwo in Amerika
krimson said:
for me, i decided to keep it.. if i needed more processing power, i could always get a G4 upgrade. The 2 bays (i.e. 2 batteries for outdoor photo sessions) was a real plus for keeping it.

You have a choice between a G4 500Mhz or G3 900MHz upgrade for the Pismo.

pepita

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 8, 2004
eu
unregbaron said:
why don't you jkust wait and see how things go? if you keep on seeing the pismo as $'s then maybe a good sign to sell -- if there's no urgency hang to it - at the moment I kind of a 2nd functioning machine you know and trust is better than whatever £/$/€ you will get for it.

Ah, that's true. That's exactly my main pro argument for keeping it. I'm a freelancer and depend on the laptop for my work. So in the end, even if I may never need a second machine, I can't risk even a one in a million chance of having to go without a working computer of my own for one or two weeks.

Solafaa said:
I think you should just sell it since you would be able to everything you did on it in the new iBook.

Possibly a lot more, I hope ;)
I hope the screen graphics are brighter and finer on the new machines. And I sure hope with a new G4 1.2 Ghz iBook I won't end up with 2 to 4 swapfiles and clogged up RAM by the end of the day slowing everything down. It's that kind of thing in OS X that makes me want a new more powerful and faster machine, even if the Pismo is great and fast enough for anything else than video or internet browsing (browsers are such RAM vampires...). I'm not getting processor upgrades as they tend to be expensive, I think I'd just prefer to get a new machine.

So, I'm definitely getting the iBook, it's only going to cost me 40-50 euro a month with Apple's loans. As for selling the PB, I think I'll probably just wait, in the end. If I can't decide, I might as well postpone decisions. That's always my philosophy.

Problem is, the more I wait, the less I'll be able to charge for it in case I decide to sell it later. So that's the main argument *against* keeping it, and for selling it now - in a few years, it'll be worth even less. (Or not? isn't there a collector value when a machine becomes too old to be used? or am I dreaming?)

krimson said:
it's so beautiful, even though the apple is upside-down when open

I never even noticed! but yes, it is so beautiful, the curves... but the new white iBook looks very nice too. It also looks even less fragile. I was tempted with a new PB instead of the iBook but apart from costs, I know I'm not too delicate with stuff so I wouldn't trust myself with a thin laptop like that. I like the (relative) bulkiness of both the Pismo and the new iBooks.

Jimong5

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
I would keep the pismo personally. I have a pismo and a MDD G4 (867). I think the Pismo was and is one of apples best powerbook models. Expandable, customizable, rugged, and you can actually hear the speakers. The Pismo is strange, in that using it the feel is still useable. The G4 doesnt make the powerbook feel slow, rather it makes the G4 feel faster. Its a fast G3 crippled by its horrible graphics card. Its a 4 year old computer (I bought it second hand, but now its beefed up, going to get an airport card and 30 GB HD, and has 768 MB RAM) On the other hand, you can get $600 for a good pismo on ebay. I would say keep the pismo unless you need the money.

another thing to consider, with 1 day turnaround repair for these guys: http://www.powerbookresq.com/
I took the 3 day option for my Pismo. I sent it in Tuesday, and got it back monday (would have been friday, but I missed the guy) and I had it fixed for half of what apple wanted to look at the thing.

Cordless_Drill

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2004
Montgomery, Ala., USA
I say keep the Pismo.

It's really the perfect Apple laptop. Mine (400 MHz) is 3+ years old and is pretty darn current. I kept it stock aside from a 128 RAM upgrade, and it's been a wonderful trooper.

I just bought a new 15/1.33 the other day, so I understand your predicament. I'm putting the Pismo to pasture and letting it have a fine retirement -- with the wife or daugther surfing on the couch.

Short answer: I'm keeping the Pismo until it dies. I think it will be a while.

furrina

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2004
In tha 212
I got a 15" pb and sold my trusty Pismo for $550 on Craigslist (better than ebay if you have one in your area because then someone comes an picks it up, no worries about shipping, and you can set the price more easily). I actually miss it, it really was indestructible and great-looking, but I can't see any reason to have two laptops unless you have a family member to give it to. And the guy that bought it is really getting the best use out of it!

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
I say get rid of it! I hate extra stuff around my house, I'm kind of a minimalist. The less stuff I have, the less it is on my mind, and the more I can focus on what I really want to do in life.

Lee Tom

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.