Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KoNeko

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2009
I recently submitted my 12" PowerBook G4's serial number and battery serial number (I just bought this unit second hand) and found that I was eligible for the battery recall program. Now, I know this is obviously a pretty old program, but the fact that the page is still up and intact makes it seem like it is still available.

I received an email confirming that my order was being processed (and was given a strange order number, that had fewer digits than any order or repair ID I've ever gotten from Apple before) and that my battery would arrive within 7 - 9 business days. However, I looked up the repair ID on both the store and support section of Apple's site and the number was said to be invalid.

Finding this pretty strange, I called up Apple and eventually talked to someone who said that I needed to provide a credit card number and a hold of $129 would need to be placed on my account (since they ship the new battery out first, then expect me to return the recalled battery).

I'm not really sure what to think here. The email states that the order is being "processed" and that the battery will arrive in 7 - 9 business days, but the lady I spoke to says otherwise. She even told me that I could just replace the battery at an Apple Service Provdier, while the program's site states otherwise. Not to mention, it also says nothing about requiring a hold of that money. What exactly should I make of this and should I let her put the hold on my card? I'm a bit tight on money as of now and am curious to see if the battery will just arrive.

https://support.apple.com/ibook_powerbook/batteryexchange/main?id=qp

btbrossard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Chicagoland
Just an FYI:

Last week I purchased a used PowerBook 12" with a dead battery. Checking the Apple site, I noticed that the battery was one of the recalled batteries.

I submitted a replacement battery order through the recall website and got a confirmation e-mail.

Three days later, my battery showed up via Fed-Ex Priority Overnight (on Christmas Eve, no less!).

I didn't have to give a credit card number or the like.

Thanks Apple!

glossywhite

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
I recently submitted my 12" PowerBook G4's serial number and battery serial number (I just bought this unit second hand) and found that I was eligible for the battery recall program. Now, I know this is obviously a pretty old program, but the fact that the page is still up and intact makes it seem like it is still available.

I received an email confirming that my order was being processed (and was given a strange order number, that had fewer digits than any order or repair ID I've ever gotten from Apple before) and that my battery would arrive within 7 - 9 business days. However, I looked up the repair ID on both the store and support section of Apple's site and the number was said to be invalid.

Finding this pretty strange, I called up Apple and eventually talked to someone who said that I needed to provide a credit card number and a hold of $129 would need to be placed on my account (since they ship the new battery out first, then expect me to return the recalled battery).

I'm not really sure what to think here. The email states that the order is being "processed" and that the battery will arrive in 7 - 9 business days, but the lady I spoke to says otherwise. She even told me that I could just replace the battery at an Apple Service Provdier, while the program's site states otherwise. Not to mention, it also says nothing about requiring a hold of that money. What exactly should I make of this and should I let her put the hold on my card? I'm a bit tight on money as of now and am curious to see if the battery will just arrive.

https://support.apple.com/ibook_powerbook/batteryexchange/main?id=qp

I just got a secondhand iBook G4 12", and entered the details into the program website, to be told my machine is also eligible for the battery replacement scheme. Being the kinda guy who likes humans to confirm things to me, I rang Applecare.

1/ First call to Applecare, the guy went to "get this authorised" from his manager... and never came back. I was transferred to a surprised agent after TEN MINUTES on hold, who looked at the case notes.

2/ Said agent then issued me the whole bluff about needing to retain my credit card details (do they actually know about the program?. He told me he wasn't aware it was still running!). I told him that what he said about the credit card directly contradicts what it says on the webpage, so I went back there and completed it online.

So, folks, if you want to get the battery exchanged, do not waste your time calling Apple (although this is not a slur on them - their service is impeccable 99.99% of the time :D), when the website is a one-click affair, and requires no deposits, credit card details etc etc.

Suffice to say, battery has been ordered. Phew.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.