Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Norway is the best place in the world to live while Niger is the least desirable, according to an annual report by the United Nations.

The 182 countries were ranked according to the quality of life their citizens experienced.

Criteria examined included life expectancy, literacy rates, school enrolment and country economies.

However the UN human development index used data collected in 2007 - before the global economic crisis.

The UN Development Programme said the index highlighted the grave disparities between rich and poor countries.
BBC.

All off to Norway then...

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
I don't think I can argue with that. While I've never been, I love cold weather. And if cuties like Heilage are any indication of the look of the general population, I'm there. :)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I am surprised to see UK below the US. Not that I hate the US or anything, but I'm rather shocked about UK's standings.

The United States is rated as the 13th most desirable place to live, while the UK takes the 21st spot.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
I am surprised to see UK below the US. Not that I hate the US or anything, but I'm rather shocked about UK's standings.
The US has some significant faults, but generally you get more for your money there (in everything, especially space in housing), you're taxed less, and you have a massive choice in the type of environment (weather wise) you want to live in.

tofagerl

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
It's a great place to live, but I think it's weird to rank countries like this. It's too objective, and there's really no point in combining the different indexes into one "uberlist" of "good countries".

That said, I'm constantly looking for some way of making a salary in Norway and living in the south of France :D

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
That's a really good point. When I went to Hinckley and London I was shocked about all the taxation that goes on. The people I was with just went on and on about taxes to park, to drive, to watch tv, etc.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois

Attachments

• 317093269_edd4b67e06_o.jpg
    317093269_edd4b67e06_o.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 54

chstr

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
artic oil and low population equal= plenty of jingle in ur pocketz

tofagerl

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Oh, here's something: Apple are actually pretty big in Norway. We don't have any applestores, but authorized resellers are popping up all over the place, especially in the last five years.
Oh, and the economic "crisis" is already over in Norway, the stockmarket is high and the unemployment low.

Rt&Dzine

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2008
I've been there. Beautiful!!! But things are expensive and they put corn on their pizza. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.