Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dirtycurdy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2009
Hey guys,

Following the update to the new itunes last night I tried to sync my ipod classic. It then told me that my music could not be located and that I should reboot the ipod to factory specifications. I chose not to since I have over 6000 songs(most of which don't have duplicates on my computer). When I removed my ipod was musicless!! It still indicates that there is 50 gb of data but I cannot see any of it.

Any help would mean the world to me

Thank you for your time.

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
You need to get the data into your iTunes then.

You have a PC or mac? There're ways to get music off an iPod, usually the iPod is showing the music files but we can try.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Connect your iPod and open Terminal

Type "cd /Volumes; ls". This will change directory to /Volumes and list devices attached to your Mac. Take note of the one that approximates the name of your iPod (if your iPod is Windows formatted, it will be listed in upper case)

Then type "cd ~name of your iPod~/iPod_Control/Music/; ls". This will change directory to the Music folder of your iPod and will list the contents (I hope it's needless to say to replace ~name of your iPod~ with the actual name)

If your music is still there, you will see a list of folders named F00, F01 etc, containing music files, but with their names obfuscated. If you see this, everything is fine. You can copy this Music directory to your Mac: "cp -r /Volumes/~name of your iPod~/iPod_Control/Music ~/Desktop" will copy the Music folder to your Desktop.

You can import this music into iTunes and track and artist names will be extracted from the obfuscated files, but it's likely any album art will be missing.

dirtycurdy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2009
I have tried using the terminal and I could not get the software to recognize my file. I have also tried the other threads using the terminal and constantly get "no such file".

As for the program Ipod program podtomac also fails to start up correctly. would someone mind. My ipod is DIRTY MCCUR and I'm not sure if it is a little error but I can't get beyond that point.

It's probably that I am such a newb

Thanks in advance again

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
What does "cd /Volumes; ls -la" show? Copy and paste the result here (put it inside [ code ] [/ code] tags to format it nicely)

If you have a space in the name, you need to either put the name in quotes or use backspace, eg:
cd /Volumes/DIRTY\ MCCURDY

dirtycurdy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2009
[total 2056
drwxrwxrwt@ 4 root admin 136 20 Sep 01:54 .
drwxrwxr-t 34 root admin 1224 13 Oct 2009 ..
drwxrwxrwx@ 1 colinmccurdie staff 1048576 20 Sep 01:54 DIRTY MCCUR
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root admin 1 20 Sep 01:46 Macintosh HD -> /]

This is what I get when I type"cd /Volumes; ls -la"

Thanks again

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
So did you try "cd /Volumes/DIRTY\ MCCUR"? Remember, you need to "escape" spaces in directory names with a backslash.

By the way, I meant to use [ code ] tags (I have to put spaces around "code" or it won't display correctly), ie click the # sign in the input form, so it looks like this:
Code:
total 2056
drwxrwxrwt@  4 root          admin     136 20 Sep 01:54 .
drwxrwxr-t  34 root          admin    1224 13 Oct 2009  ..
drwxrwxrwx@  1 colinmccurdie staff 1048576 20 Sep 01:54 DIRTY MCCUR
lrwxr-xr-x   1 root          admin       1 20 Sep 01:46 Macintosh HD -> /

It looks like there's a lot of data on your iPod, so unless it's totally corrupted, there's a good chance the tracks are still there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.