Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DDRDominic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2009
Palo Alto, CA
Every time I open a document on Microsoft Word for Mac 2008, it crashes. I've
had this computer for over a month and the problem just started recently. I'm
running Mac OS X Snow Leopard.

I was instructed to go to the "Preferences" folder and delete
com.Microsoft.Word.plist. When I delete that file, MS Word starts working
again for about a couple minutes and then goes back to not working again.

How can I fix this? I need to be able to use MS Word for taking notes in college.

Should I reinstall it? Should I just switch to iWorks or something? I need
help!

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
The behavior that you are describing is obviously not normal. This means that there is something abnormal in your setup. Do you know what it may be?

DDRDominic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2009
Palo Alto, CA
No, I have no idea. I haven't done anything weird. This hasn't been happening the whole time, only the past few days after I started using the "Notebook" format for taking notes. Then I noticed that when I tried to open up my notes documents, they wouldn't open.

full moon

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2009
Has the problem started after you installed the Snow Leopard? Or you've been working on SL since you got the computer?

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
It's possible your "normal.dotm" (normal template) may be corrupt. Try moving it. Don't worry, Word 2008 will create a new one the next time Word starts. Here's how to find "normal.dotm":

Close Word and any other Office apps you may have open.

Navigate to:

/Volumes/MacIntosh HD/Users/your user name/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office/User Templates/Normal.dotm

Move Normal.dotm to your desktop. Restart Word and see what happens. If no change, you may have to completely remove Office and reinstall. Be sure to use the Office uninstaller. You can not drag Word or other Office apps to the Trash to completely uninstall.

Regards.

DDRDominic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2009
Palo Alto, CA
I don't know if the problem started directly after I installed Snow Leopard, but it didn't happen before when I just had Leopard. I also tried the Normal.dot thing and the problem is really variant now. I can open some documents, but the notes ones, the ones in the Notebook layout, still won't open. I guess I'll be uninstalling it. *sigh*

I tried so many different things: I tried saving them under a different format (compatability mode), I tried copying the same document and renaming it, but every single time I open it the program completely crashes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.