Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 15, 2004, 05:34 AM   #1
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4
 
wrldwzrd89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Solon, OH
Customization and PowerBooks

I think Apple should offer more customization options for the PowerBooks at the Apple online store. For example, all PowerBook models should have the same graphics cards available as BTO options, as well as having the backlit keyboard on the 12" as a BTO option (and the option of getting a 15" or 17" PowerBook WITHOUT the backlit keyboard). This would NOT change the products Apple offers at their retail stores, nor would it affect third-party retailers that sell Apple products.

My guess as to why Apple doesn't do this is because they want to differentiate their products from each other, which IMO is somewhat stupid and unlike the other PC makers.
__________________
iMac Intel (Rev H, 27"), 1TB HDD, 16GB RAM, 10.8.4
wrldwzrd89 is offline   0
Old Jul 15, 2004, 06:06 AM   #2
Mord
macrumors G4
 
Mord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Old York
join the club
Mord is offline   0
Old Jul 15, 2004, 06:12 AM   #3
Chip NoVaMac
macrumors G3
 
Chip NoVaMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Northern Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrldwzrd89
I think Apple should offer more customization options for the PowerBooks at the Apple online store. For example, all PowerBook models should have the same graphics cards available as BTO options, as well as having the backlit keyboard on the 12" as a BTO option (and the option of getting a 15" or 17" PowerBook WITHOUT the backlit keyboard). This would NOT change the products Apple offers at their retail stores, nor would it affect third-party retailers that sell Apple products.

My guess as to why Apple doesn't do this is because they want to differentiate their products from each other, which IMO is somewhat stupid and unlike the other PC makers.
I agree it would be great to have a more powerful 12" model. Watching the threads here, there are a good number of us that would like to have more in the PB 12".

There may be a space issue on the backlit keyboard for the 12". And a profit issue to drive customers to the 15" and 17" over the 12".

The question is would people be happy seeing an increase in the base pricing of the 12" to make it happen?
__________________
It is fast approaching the point where I don't want to elect anyone stupid enough to want the job. - Bombeck
Chip NoVaMac is offline   0
Old Jul 15, 2004, 06:39 AM   #4
mrviga
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Money, its all about money. The 15 and 17 inch models have a higher profit margin, so Apple will try to make those the most appealing. The backlit keyboard has been attributed to a space issue inthe past, but come on...this is Apple we're talking here, not just anybody. If they wanted it to work, it would work. I am an engineer in the automotive industry, and I know that there is no such thing as impossible, I've solved the impossible before. Adding in a $5.00 backlight in the 15" makes the thing much more appealing, and the only way to get it is to go with the higher up 1.5Ghz version, which will cost you more money, which will in turn make Apple more money. Its all about money...money money money.
mrviga is offline   0
Old Jul 15, 2004, 06:39 AM   #5
robbieduncan
Moderator
 
robbieduncan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: London
There may well be good reasons that you cannot have a 128Mb 9700Pro Mobility in a 12" PB. These chips (and the RAM chips that go with them) generate a lot more heat than those currently in the 12". The heat has to go somewhere. The keyboard is the same. The 15" and 17" have much more volume so the fibre optic routing and so on can take up the space. In a 12" this is simply a lot less space.
robbieduncan is offline   0
Old Jul 15, 2004, 08:27 AM   #6
Ajmbc
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbieduncan
There may well be good reasons that you cannot have a 128Mb 9700Pro Mobility in a 12" PB. These chips (and the RAM chips that go with them) generate a lot more heat than those currently in the 12". The heat has to go somewhere. The keyboard is the same. The 15" and 17" have much more volume so the fibre optic routing and so on can take up the space. In a 12" this is simply a lot less space.
Seeing the powerbook's backlit keyboard before, it is definitely not much bigger. It has a black film on the bottom that holds all of the optics, so they don't have to route through the case. The only thing that that takes up space are the light sensor boards (and they aren't that big either)
Ajmbc is offline   0
Old Jul 15, 2004, 09:26 AM   #7
michaelrjohnson
macrumors 68020
 
michaelrjohnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: 54140
Send a message via AIM to michaelrjohnson
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbieduncan
There may well be good reasons that you cannot have a 128Mb 9700Pro Mobility in a 12" PB. These chips (and the RAM chips that go with them) generate a lot more heat than those currently in the 12". The heat has to go somewhere. The keyboard is the same. The 15" and 17" have much more volume so the fibre optic routing and so on can take up the space. In a 12" this is simply a lot less space.
While we all know that Apple has a tendency to "dumb-down" its lower models, I feel there is a lot of validity in this (quoted) statement. Apple has finely engineered each computer to be able to tolerate what it's intended to, adding options from other machines might just mess up some of the engineering Apple went through.
__________________
Designer
michaelrjohnson.com
michaelrjohnson is offline   0
Old Jul 15, 2004, 09:40 AM   #8
hello world
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelrjohnson
Apple has finely engineered each computer to be able to tolerate what it's intended to, adding options from other machines might just mess up some of the engineering Apple went through.
I agree.

And given how hot the 12" gets, I tend to think they've squeezed just about all they could into it.

I don't understand the appeal of the backlit keyboard. I never look at my keyboard. I do like the idea of the screen brightness adjusting by an ambient sensor.
__________________
digital audio 533SP, aluminum 1.33
hello world is offline   0


 
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Desktop: OS X 10.9 Customization Humex UI Customization 30 May 29, 2014 08:17 PM
iPhone 5S customization yet? NickyLanzz iPhone 2 Oct 27, 2013 08:08 AM
iPhone: Need customization help ! ipawnforfun1 Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 1 Feb 18, 2013 01:15 AM
New sub-forum: UI Customization annk Site and Forum Feedback 6 Nov 8, 2012 08:05 AM
Problem with customization slayer666 Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 1 Jun 10, 2012 10:06 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:36 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC