Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tommif4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2009
I cannot figure out how to restore my pictures from my old time machine backups. I have gone back to the dates I want the pictures from, but the only thing in the picture folder is the iPhoto library icon and there seems to be no way to restore it or even select individual pictures to restore. Is there a way I can do this? Also,If I restore my system back to that date, won't I lose my current information? Any help is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!
Tommi:confused:

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
How big is the file size of the iPhoto Library file?

If it's more than a couple of hundred MB or even GB, than it's your library.

You can simply select it and drag/copy it to your preferred new location.

To select single or multiple, but not all, photos, right click on the iPhoto Library file and select Show Package Contents.
You can then browse your photos in the inherent folders.

iphotolibrary-02.png

http://www.ehow.com/how_4621237_access-iphoto-library-opening-iphoto.html

tommif4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2009
I think something may be wrong with my external drive, I am going to let it cool down a little and I will try your advice later. Thanks for the help.:eek:

Ashka

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2008
New Zealand
Open iPhoto on your desktop then open Time Machine. Find photo in TM backed up iPhoto > Select > Restore.
Best Not to muck around with the iPhoto Library if you don't have to.

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
Do not restore your entire computer back to a previous date unless you know what you're doing. This will remove from the computer anything you have created since that date and time. Do what Ashka posted and launch iPhoto first THEN Time Machine from the Dock icon. Address Book works on the same principle, to restore a mistakenly deleted contact you launch Address Book and then Time Machine (assuming you had been backing up with it).

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
Do what Ashka posted and launch iPhoto first THEN Time Machine from the Dock icon. Address Book works on the same principle, to restore a mistakenly deleted contact you launch Address Book and then Time Machine (assuming you had been backing up with it).

Exactly, as does Apple Mail if TM is invoked with the app open and in focus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.