Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Oct 6, 2009, 11:01 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

The Phone That Gets No Respect

Category: Microsoft
Link: The Phone That Gets No Respect
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Oct 6, 2009, 11:53 AM   #2
spillproof
macrumors 68020

I don't know if is just me, but I rarely see Nokia phones.

Anyway, this is good for MS. They are really trying to get their act together.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 12:45 PM   #3
spazzcat
macrumors 68000

When they have a good phone OS, they will get some respect...
spazzcat is offline   0
Old Oct 6, 2009, 12:51 PM   #4
SimonTheSoundMa
macrumors 6502a

Well, Microsoft has just ditched Windows Mobile 6.5. http://mobile.slashdot.org/story/09/...aunched-Panned

Nokia’s are everywhere here in Europe. Their hardware (along with most smart phones) are a long way ahead of Apple.

I notice that the USA is a good 6-12 months behind on Nokia releases compared to the UK.

Last edited by SimonTheSoundMa; Oct 6, 2009 at 12:58 PM.
SimonTheSoundMa is offline   0
Old Oct 6, 2009, 12:57 PM   #5
supmango
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzcat View Post
When they have a good phone OS, they will get some respect...
I think they had better redirect their resources working on mobile platform to prepare for the influx of support issues to be revealed with Windows 7. They need to avoid another Vista fiasco at all costs.
supmango is offline   0
Old Oct 6, 2009, 03:40 PM   #6
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonTheSoundMa View Post
I notice that the USA is a good 6-12 months behind on Nokia releases compared to the UK.
It seemed like 4-5 years ago we got the latest Nokias quickly, but there seems to be a very long lag now -- releasing a product 12 months later is almost functionally useless considering product cycles today.

OTOH I think the reputation here that Nokias bundle a set of great features and nice hardware but don't provide a gestalt experience that is as moving as the iPhone is pretty well deserved. There's nothing quite like the App Store, and how much it changes the way one uses a phone, out there today outside the realm of the iPhone.

(Also FWIW we get pretty advanced phones from other brands, particularly the Korean CDMA phones that don't have big European market penetration -- and similarly they're very advanced but the overall experience is still not what using an iPhone is.)
Old Oct 6, 2009, 03:50 PM   #7
Demosthenes X
macrumors 68000

Good news. There are some very nice handsets (HTC phones come to mind) running Windows mobile, but the device makers feel it's necessary to cover as much of Windows as possible with their own software because the experience is to poor otherwise. If MS can do with mobile what they've done with 7, more power to them!
Old Oct 6, 2009, 04:06 PM   #8
EarthDawn
macrumors 6502a

we will see it when it comes out.... and that will probably be the last time we see it in typical MS fashion....
Old Oct 6, 2009, 04:55 PM   #9
bassanoclapper
macrumors regular

Quote:
Nokia’s are everywhere here in Europe. Their hardware (along with most smart phones) are a long way ahead of Apple.
I see lots of people with iPhones or wanting one

Very little interest in the N97
Old Oct 6, 2009, 05:22 PM   #10
Silencio
macrumors 68000

Quote:
OTOH, software-wise Symbian is at least two years behind Apple -- let alone Palm or Google -- and Nokia have shown no inkling that making software a core competency of theirs is any kind of priority. I guess their CEO is too busy hob-nobbing with Bono and drinking cocktails on Paul Allen's yacht.

Windows Mobile "gets no respect" because it hasn't earned any.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 05:59 PM   #11
SimonTheSoundMa
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silencio View Post
OTOH, software-wise Symbian is at least two years behind Apple -- let alone Palm or Google -- and Nokia have shown no inkling that making software a core competency of theirs is any kind of priority. I guess their CEO is too busy hob-nobbing with Bono and drinking cocktails on Paul Allen's yacht.

Windows Mobile "gets no respect" because it hasn't earned any.
The higher end Nokia phones run Linux. Symbian was ditched some time ago.
SimonTheSoundMa is offline   0
Old Oct 7, 2009, 02:00 AM   #12
elppa
macrumors 68040

Quote:
OTOH, software-wise Symbian is at least two years behind Apple -- let alone Palm or Google --
By “let alone” do you mean to say you think Palm and Google's software is better than Apple's?

Not sure I'd agree.
elppa is offline   0
Old Oct 7, 2009, 02:35 AM   #13
DMann
Banned

Perhaps, another point of view will help to clarify things regarding the true state of Windows Mobile 6.5.
DMann is offline   0
Old Oct 7, 2009, 11:11 AM   #14
spillproof
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMann View Post
Perhaps, another point of view will help to clarify things regarding the true state of Windows Mobile 6.5.
All that negativity! And what is a stylus? I am very surprised MS still relies on one of those ancient devices.

Too bad it sucks and that keyboard is hideous. Like they said, maybe WM 7 will be an actual iPhone and Android competitor.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 11:19 AM   #15
Silencio
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by elppa View Post
By “let alone” do you mean to say you think Palm and Google's software is better than Apple's?

Not sure I'd agree.
Android and WebOS both have a few areas where they are better than OS X Touch, but are they better overall? No way.

And it doesn't really matter whether Nokia is using Symbian or Linux on their smartphones: they have yet to demonstrate any kind of competency or vision in developing software of any kind.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 12:33 PM   #16
BongoBanger
macrumors 68000

Quote:
And it doesn't really matter whether Nokia is using Symbian or Linux on their smartphones: they have yet to demonstrate any kind of competency or vision in developing software of any kind.
You mean aside from acquiring 40% or more of the smartphone market?

As fro WinMo 6.5, it's a dog. Fortunately it can be skinned very well - although not perfectly.
BongoBanger is offline   0
Old Oct 7, 2009, 01:34 PM   #17
Maccin475
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrishnan View Post
It seemed like 4-5 years ago we got the latest Nokias quickly, but there seems to be a very long lag now -- releasing a product 12 months later is almost functionally useless considering product cycles today.

OTOH I think the reputation here that Nokias bundle a set of great features and nice hardware but don't provide a gestalt experience that is as moving as the iPhone is pretty well deserved. There's nothing quite like the App Store, and how much it changes the way one uses a phone, out there today outside the realm of the iPhone.

(Also FWIW we get pretty advanced phones from other brands, particularly the Korean CDMA phones that don't have big European market penetration -- and similarly they're very advanced but the overall experience is still not what using an iPhone is.)
Nokia has traditionally been a weak player in the CDMA markets, like the US. Nokia does have an app store but it is not accessible in the US through AT&T (I'm on AT&T and they don't allow access to the Nokia app store). Despite being weak in the US market, Nokia is still the leader in mobile phone sales worldwide.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion