Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 15, 2004, 02:26 PM   #1
TootsieToots
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Printer suggestions?

Hi -- first time listener, first time poster.

So I just bought a PowerBook (12") and the next day my printer craps out. Was wondering if anyone here can suggest a reliable -- but above all else CHEAP (only going as high as $150 here) -- color printer. I've had luck with HP's, but swore to myself I'd never buy another Cannon again. Also, I'd like to be able to use this on both my PowerBook and my iMac.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
TootsieToots is offline   0
Old Jul 15, 2004, 02:58 PM   #2
michaelrjohnson
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: 54140
I personally like Canon Printers. However, above all else, head on over to DealInk.com and find out if you can get cartridges inexpensively. My last Canon printer had cartridges for $2 *each*. I could get a dozen cartridges for the price of one in a store.
__________________
Designer
michaelrjohnson.com
michaelrjohnson is offline   0
Old Jul 15, 2004, 05:09 PM   #3
robotrenegade
macrumors 6502a
 
robotrenegade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Greenville,SC
I just got my mom the HP deskjet 5800 its awesome printer. It's also wireless other then the powercord. Hope that helps.
__________________
15" i7 Macbook Pro Retina | Mac OS 10.8 | iPhone 5
robotrenegade is offline   0
Old Jul 15, 2004, 06:16 PM   #4
kgarner
macrumors 68000
 
kgarner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Utah
Hp has a really cool one that has WIFI built in. You could use it while plugged in to the iMac and then use the WIFI with the Powerbook (assuming you have a newer Powerbook with built in WIFI). The only downer is I think it is kind of pricey (I want to say $250). Sorry i can't think of the model number adn i don't have time to look it up right now.

If you are looking for a great photo printer, then check out the Epson R200. Only $100, incredible photo quality, individual color cartridges, and it can print on CD's. Very cool. The R300 is only $180 and adds direct printing from your media card. If both computers have WIFI you can share it through the iMac.
__________________
Mac Pro 2.66 Quad | Mini 1.42 G4 (running as HTPC)
digitalsandbox.net
"Monkeys are like bacon. They improve just about anything." -Andy Ihnatko
kgarner is offline   0
Old Jul 15, 2004, 06:24 PM   #5
robotrenegade
macrumors 6502a
 
robotrenegade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Greenville,SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgarner
Hp has a really cool one that has WIFI built in. You could use it while plugged in to the iMac and then use the WIFI with the Powerbook (assuming you have a newer Powerbook with built in WIFI). The only downer is I think it is kind of pricey (I want to say $250). Sorry i can't think of the model number adn i don't have time to look it up right now.

If you are looking for a great photo printer, then check out the Epson R200. Only $100, incredible photo quality, individual color cartridges, and it can print on CD's. Very cool. The R300 is only $180 and adds direct printing from your media card. If both computers have WIFI you can share it through the iMac.
I don't know if you read my post but i talked about the printer you are talking about and its not $250.

Printer Link
__________________
15" i7 Macbook Pro Retina | Mac OS 10.8 | iPhone 5
robotrenegade is offline   0
Old Jul 15, 2004, 06:32 PM   #6
kgarner
macrumors 68000
 
kgarner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by robotrenegade
I don't know if you read my post but i talked about the printer you are talking about and its not $250.

Printer Link
Okay, cool. I read the first part but didn't look at the last sentence. That will teach me to skim so carelessly. As for the price, I just couldn't remember what it was. I just recently quit working at CompUSA so i tried to get the prices memorized, but printers never seemed to stick.
__________________
Mac Pro 2.66 Quad | Mini 1.42 G4 (running as HTPC)
digitalsandbox.net
"Monkeys are like bacon. They improve just about anything." -Andy Ihnatko
kgarner is offline   0
Old Jul 15, 2004, 06:35 PM   #7
robotrenegade
macrumors 6502a
 
robotrenegade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Greenville,SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgarner
Okay, cool. I read the first part but didn't look at the last sentence. That will teach me to skim so carelessly. As for the price, I just couldn't remember what it was. I just recently quit working at CompUSA so i tried to get the prices memorized, but printers never seemed to stick.
lol this time you missed the link i left last time to the real item. Its 149.00
__________________
15" i7 Macbook Pro Retina | Mac OS 10.8 | iPhone 5
robotrenegade is offline   0
Old Jul 15, 2004, 07:52 PM   #8
thehuncamunca
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: NJ
i'd recommend the HP photosmart 7660, it's 130 has memory card slots does a great job at printing photos and is really quick at printing text close to 20 pages a minute
thehuncamunca is offline   0
Old Jul 15, 2004, 11:21 PM   #9
ToddW
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
i will also recommend the wireless hp it is great and prints great photos the model number is 5850 for 149 USD
ToddW is offline   0
Old Jul 16, 2004, 10:14 AM   #10
TootsieToots
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has offered suggestions so far. I really appreciate it.
TootsieToots is offline   0
Old Jul 16, 2004, 10:43 AM   #11
JFreak
macrumors 68040
 
JFreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Tampere, Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddW
i will also recommend the wireless hp it is great and prints great photos the model number is 5850 for 149 USD
i second to that. i have had 9 months of great experience with that 5850 model. very good.
__________________
what we do in life, echoes in eternity.
JFreak is offline   0


 
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AirPrint printer suggestions? marc.garcia Mac Peripherals 28 Oct 20, 2013 08:05 AM
Any suggestions for a color laser printer that prints well on card stock Shabouk26 Mac Peripherals 6 Sep 2, 2013 10:26 AM
AirPrint Color Laser Printer Suggestions Needed! mattcauthon Mac Peripherals 9 Apr 17, 2013 04:40 PM
All-In-One Printer Suggestions? iMas70 Mac Peripherals 11 Mar 24, 2013 11:07 PM
Compact printer suggestions glenthompson Mac Peripherals 3 Oct 27, 2012 07:23 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:28 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC