Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Old Oct 7, 2009, 08:11 AM   #1
MacPrincess888
macrumors newbie

Macbook gets very hot

After using my MacBook for about 15 min, it starts to get very hot. Is this normal or should I take it in? It is almost 2 years old, I have Leopard 10.5.8, and this has just started about a month ago. I do have the extended warranty on it, so I know it doesn't hurt to make an appt at the Genius Bar, but I wanted to hear from you if I should go down there or not waste anyone's time! Thanks everyone!
MacPrincess888 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2009, 03:46 PM   #2
backwardsK126
macrumors newbie

How old is it? Just wondering because I have the late 2006 model and after working on it for a while the fans spin up like crazy and it really heats up. It might not be anything that can be fixed, unless one of your fans is dead or something like that
backwardsK126 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2009, 03:49 PM   #3
prodigee
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwardsK126 View Post
How old is it? Just wondering because I have the late 2006 model and after working on it for a while the fans spin up like crazy and it really heats up. It might not be anything that can be fixed, unless one of your fans is dead or something like that
He said it was about 2 years old.. So I am going to guess that it is from 2007, (simple math). But take it to the Genius Bar, I just think that your thermal pads on there have come to the end of their life and aren't conducting heat from the chips the heat sinks so its getting pretty hot.

You can replace the thermal paste your self but if you have the Apple care, there really is no point in not getting Apple to do it (it should be a same day repair).

MacBook Pro 15" | Core i7 2.2 ghz | AMD Radeon HD 6750M | 8 GB DDR3 1333 mhz | 500 GB HD Hitachi TravelStar 7k500
prodigee is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook