Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrazyIllini

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
I am a 13 year old that has no programming experience. I want to eventually write flash websites. Is Java a good first language? Thanks in advance.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
If you want to write Flash (although I don't consider entire sites written in Flash to be websites: websites are written in HTML, CSS and Javascript) then just learn Flash/Actionscript. It's almost certainly simpler than Java.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Ok but would learning actionscript help me with any other languages?

To be honest I have no idea: I've never bothered investigating it as I have no interest in Flash. If you want a good base in understanding how to program I'd personally suggest a procedural language like C, then an OO language like Java or Objective-C. If you can understand C then you are that much closer to understanding how the computer actually works.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
So in general C would be better than Java as a first language?

In my personal opinion, yes. I think that understanding how the machine works and that close to the metal feel of C is important. But many others will tell you that Java with it's garbage collection and inherant "safety" is a better first language. Either way you will be facing a very steep learning curve if you are doing this on your own...

rowsdower

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2009
Ok but would learning actionscript help me with any other languages?

My opinion is that learning one thing doesn't ever harm you when you want to learn some other thing, as long as you keep an open mind to doing things differently. So don't be afraid to try a few different languages and see how it goes. It's going to be difficult on your own, but it's possible if you can maintain an interest in it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.