Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Anyone ever buy anything from Frys? I was just curious because I am looking to buy a laptop from there, what is their return policy? Is their shipping fast? Good service?

Unspoken Demise

macrumors 68040
Apr 16, 2009
>9,000
I LOVE Fry's!
Too bad I can't help you when it comes to their online service.
I know their in store service is great! Very friendly. Ive got a Fry's about 5 miles or so from me.

If I recall correctly, its 30 days with a receipt. They are big on you having a receipt. Not sure if its the same online.

MasterDev

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
FRY's is AWESOME. I loved the one back home in Cali... It was Alice in Wonderland themed! This one in Indianapolis sucks, but is still fun to shop at :D

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Okay, that's great to hear. :D

I am looking to buy a laptop from them over online, so I think I might just do that.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
Fry's service is awful. It has a great selection, but I refuse to shop there given the awful, unethical and unprofessional service or lack of service I received there.

(I will edit an older post regarding Fry's and post it here chronicling what I am talking about.)

1ofthedavids

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
I just wanted to throw in my thumbs-up for Fry's as well. When I moved to WA from Ohio, I hadn't even heard of Fry's (we had Microcenter). I found out about Fry's once I moved out here, and I go there anytime I need computer parts.

I can't really comment about the online ordering as well, since I go in-store, but any experience I've had with exchanging/returning something in-store was 30 days and you needed the receipt. Like someone else said, they were pretty big with having the receipt on me. They have good customer service though. Good luck with your purchase if you decide to give it a go!

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
My story has to do with a 17" Powerbook G4 1.67 that I purchased from the Plano, TX store in October of 2006. I purchased the Fry's three year warranty program given its offering of a loaner computer, which seemed essential given my status as a student who traveled due to an extra-curricular activity.

I am going to be clear. I dropped my computer. The hard drive suffered damage. Fry's ran a diagnostic, using who knows what and concluded that it was only the hard drive. My computer was returned to me with a new hard drive. Mind you it was formatted with OSX Panther 10.3; my computer never could have shipped without Tiger. Anyways, I got my computer back and within two weeks realized a random screen flicker.

When I say random, it was random. Sometimes it would start flickering as soon as I turned my Powerbook, other times it would be completely random. The screen flickers were of varying degrees and lasted varying lengths of time, but nonetheless annoying.

Here's the rough break down of my stories with Fry's:
January 2006 - No Issue Found (by the Fry's Service Center), nothing done to computer, got computer back February 27, 2006

March 3, 2006 - Computer is taken back in for same issue, no issue found (by the Fry's Service Center), nothing done to computer, got computer back April 22, 2006

April 29, 2006 - Computer is taken back in for same issue, no issue found (by the Fry's Service Center), nothing done, got computer back May 23, 2006

June 14, 2006 - Computer is taken back in for same issue, no issue found (by the Fry's Service Center), got computer back July 1, 2006

July 2, 2006 - Computer is taken back in less then 24 hours of being picked for same issue, no issue found (by the Fry's Service Center), went to pick-up computer August 15, 2006

August 15, 2006 - Go to pick up my computer after threatening service reps (I will get to that later) While sitting on the counter waiting for the mass amounts of paperwork, I take out the Powerbook, turn it on, just for good measure. Fry's Tech sees screen flicker upon start-up, says "oh s****, I will get the service manager." Computer is given back October 4, 2006

October 28. 2006 - Same issue with a new complication, overheating on the left side. It was unclear to everyone at Fry's whether any work was done in between August 15 and October 28, but whatever the case, no issue found (by the Fry's Service Center) Computer is picked up in November.

December 1, 2006 - Same issues, computer given to Fry's. Fry's replaced something according to them. However on the documentation, which at this point is over 100 pages, they make no note of what they actually replace. The computer is returned on January 2, 2007, but with no record of what was replaced, just that work had been done.

March 2, 2007 - By mid-February the computer's same issues had returned, the computer was dropped off for the same issues and picked up in late April.

May, 2007 - This was the last I saw of the Powerbook in my home. On the 8th of May the computer was sent in for repair for the same two issues. On June 2, 2007 I went in to pick-up the computer, started it and within 15 minutes the computer was burning and the screen was flickering. I would go in twice more to have this happen once in August and then in late September, before on October 4, 2007 - they replaced my computer and gave me the loaner.

Some Explanations of Fry's Policies

The Lemon Law
1. Fry's must actually service the computer. All of those "no issue found (by Fry's Service Center)" don't count. The irony is, everytime I went in, I would place my Powerbook on the counter show them the issue, a tech would document the issue and then send it off, or so I thought.
2. It must be the consecutive issue four times. So when the heat problems started, that reset the clock, if that had even mattered. Even though I was still having the same old error, a new error meant that they had four new times to fix it.
3. Re-Works don't count. Everytime Fry's doesn't fix something; i.e. I go to pick it up and it fails before leaving the Service Desk, that doesn't count. That's a rework.

The Yellow Cards
Fry's will send you these cards telling you to pick-up your computer. They then get more threatening and claim that they will possess your computer. They have 90 days before that can occur. They will also begin to call you and leave threatening messages, including ones saying that "if you don't get down here before we close today, I will repossess your computer." Once again, they have 90 days before they can do anything.

Mailing it to California
You need to send them your power charger. I was told once that if we don't send a power charger, they won't look at the computer. I might also add just giving them your box as they were completely incapable of packing the computer themselves. My computer received numerous additional dents thanks to Fry's.

The Shadiness
1. Fry's will not touch in Apple in store, they might now, but at least in my time they wouldn't. All computers are sent to a tech center in California, allegedly. So you can have a store employee see your problem and it be sent to California and nothing happen. If you have something that randomly acts up, like my screen flickering - good luck.

2. Fry's may send your computer to a local, non-Fry's repair shop. According to the Assistant Manager at the Plano store, the computer was sent to a local Dallas Apple tech, not Fry's in California. Their warranty agreement mentions nothing of this.

3. Fry's probably shouldn't be an authorized reseller. They sell their old loaners as Refurbished. That is no the case, the computers are used. The problem arises if you are sold one of these and they have been registered with Apple Care whenever the first loanee got the computer, the warranty is started with Apple - so you might be out Apple Care, also these are not Apple refurbished or refurbished at all.

Parting Thoughts:
I ended up having six loaners altogether. I had my actual computer less then the time I had with two different loaner models. The staff, especially the store manager was not helpful and rude. I was threatened numerous times to cancel my service and questions went unanswered. There is not a place I know of where there are more people unhappy with service then the service desk at Fry's. I feel bad for the employees that work there, however lacking of knowledge they might be, they have to deal with things that aren't their fault as they spend most the day diagnosing problems.

Calling corporate was a joke. They were unhelpful and showed me that there was no accountability within the company. I refuse to set foot in Fry's given this experience. Even if something is cheaper there I will take my business elsewhere solely on principle.

(I edited this post after over two years, and the frustration I have still runs through my blood. I could not imagine a worse way to treat your customers and a more unethical and sleazy way of running a business. I know, given my experience at the counter, that I am not the only way that feels this way, and it's a shame given the decent prices and selection that Fry's boast. It was bad enough, I still have three employees cell phone numbers given the amount of contact I was having with them over trying to get issues resolved, so maybe I made a friend or two...)

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
So you are upset with Fry's because they can't fix an intermitten issue as a result of the dropping?

In your opinion/speculation do you think having apple care would have yeilded better results than dealing with Frys?

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
So you are upset with Fry's because they can't fix an intermitten issue as a result of the dropping?

In your opinion/speculation do you think having apple care would have yeilded better results than dealing with Frys?

I mean the computer was ultimately replaced after much run-around and hassle. I know a couple things about Apple Care that would have differed from my service:
1. The turn-around time is not in months.
2. They would have actually tried to look at my computer to replicate the error, which even Fry's store employees admitted likely did not go on.
3. They would have told me what was replaced.
4. Their lemon law is a little less stringent
5. Corporate at least attempts oversight

I guess I should make this point. The screen issue was not an issue until the hard drive was replaced. It's my opinion that something was messed with when replacing the hard drive that resulted in the issue.

Like I said, the store has a great selection and decent prices, especially compared to places like Best Buy and the Apple Store; but, go hang around the service desk for a couple of minutes see the happy faces.

mags631

Mar 6, 2007
Anyone ever buy anything from Frys? I was just curious because I am looking to buy a laptop from there, what is their return policy? Is their shipping fast? Good service?

Frys is good if:
1) You are making an impulse, in-store buy; or,
2) You want a relatively hassle-free exchange policy.

Frys service varies from ok to awful and I've had only a few positive interactions with the staff there over many years of buying stuff there (in a variety of stores). There have been exceptions, but I believe Frys generally employs low wage staff who are not knowledgeable in the goods they sell. So, I recommend that you do your research first and go there to buy "now".

I can't imagine why you would want to buy online from Frys over high-reputation alternatives like Newegg: http://www.newegg.com.

miastole

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2009
Los Angeles
RE: Anyone ever buy anything from Frys?

I can't stand Fry's. I had such a disaster with them. Earlier this year, I ran in ink for my Epson printer. I bought both black ink and the pack of all the colors. I get home and I open the boxes and I found in the box of color ink an apple wrapped in paper towel and the black ink had cardboard in it. So someone opened the ink, took it out, resealed it and returned it as a closed box.

I took it back the next day and the manager said I put the apple in the box and I just wanted to get my money back. I got mad and left. :mad: I came back the next day and finally was able another cartridge of ink. I got into my car and opened it up and it had been used and returned in a closed box return.

So I said screw it and went to Staples and got my ink. Which I opened while at Staples. It had ink.

So my opinion of Fry's is not so high.

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2006
Sometimes they are very rude and they're always too busy to help. But I get good deals sometime. I got 2 motherboards ecs socket 775 11 each. Mine broke and my friends still works. Go figure.

mags631

Mar 6, 2007
On the note about themes...

There's a Fry's north of Phoenix, AZ thats an island/ volcano themed. Quite odd looking from the outside.

The original Frys had an electronics theme and there were giant semi-conductors, resistors, etc. (e.g., they would stand to your hip) in the aisles.

The Palo Alto Frys (near Stanford) has a western theme.

Sadly, the new ones that I have been to (Austin and Downers Grove) seem to have a generic theme based on a self-playing grand piano.

J&JPolangin

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2008
Close to a boarder, in Eu
...I went to visit some family in TX and went to the Plano Fry's...

It was classic bait and switch as up on the memory board I picked out some "DDR2 RAM" that was listed as crucial brand... it was for a seemingly good price and when I got to the counter with the ticket it was some cheap no name Skil crap with a 1 year warranty.

Back to the counter of the person who wrote up my ticket and they had a mysterious "shift change" at a really odd time of the day so that "expert" was no longer working and the manager of the dept was "like dude, you got the right RAM we charged you for"... I got my $$ back and ordered it from NewEgg... never to step foot in a Fry's again...

mdgolom

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2006
I mean the computer was ultimately replaced after much run-around and hassle. I know a couple things about Apple Care that would have differed from my service:
1. The turn-around time is not in months.
2. They would have actually tried to look at my computer to replicate the error, which even Fry's store employees admitted likely did not go on.
3. They would have told me what was replaced.
4. Their lemon law is a little less stringent
5. Corporate at least attempts oversight

I guess I should make this point. The screen issue was not an issue until the hard drive was replaced. It's my opinion that something was messed with when replacing the hard drive that resulted in the issue.

Like I said, the store has a great selection and decent prices, especially compared to places like Best Buy and the Apple Store; but, go hang around the service desk for a couple of minutes see the happy faces.

The other difference with AppleCare is your computer's warranty would have been null and void when you dropped it. You would have had to pay to fix any problems and they would then decide if they would then certify the computer under AppleCare. I'm not downplaying your frustration with Fry's about the hassle of getting it fixed. This is why I always take it to Apple for service, but I don't know if they had one near where you lived.

On the note about themes...

There's a Fry's north of Phoenix, AZ thats an island/ volcano themed. Quite odd looking from the outside.

That and I love the sign as you walk in "No Guns Allowed". :eek:

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
The other difference with AppleCare is your computer's warranty would have been null and void when you dropped it. You would have had to pay to fix any problems and they would then decide if they would then certify the computer under AppleCare. I'm not downplaying your frustration with Fry's about the hassle of getting it fixed. This is why I always take it to Apple for service, but I don't know if they had one near where you lived.

My computer wouldn't have been null and void, I would have to pay to fix it myself. I live in Plano, we have plenty of Apple Stores close-by. The difference was that I had a loaner from Fry's and a warranty I paid for. My comments are regarding the service. I admitted it was my fault and would have paid for the hard drive to be fixed.

dandaley

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2008
I quit shopping at Frys a long time ago. When I first started shopping at Frys, they were fine. This was mid 90s in San Jose. They had decent prices and good selection. As time went on, their prices were nothing special and half of the things I bought from there didn't work. I think they always returned the products, but when you buy a motherboard, cpu, video card, ram, etc and it doesn't work, then it is a pain to figure out which is causing the problem. I think they just put returns back on the shelf.

To tell you the truth, I am quite surprised to see this many favorable postings about Frys. I haven't shopped at a Frys in at least 7 years. Maybe they have changed... but I doubt it.

Good luck.

Kzbd

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2009
I think the other departments may be ok or at least better, but Fry's Downer's Grove, IL has a computer parts dept. that is staffed by dicks, morons, and dicks who are morons.

I always allow myself to get sucked into their sale ads, which are always sold out of the items that are on sale for great prices 4 hours after the store opens, not just black friday, but any sale ad. I must have been there to find 10 sale items and never saw one in stock. I have however gone back on Wednesday and asked if they were going to get any more in and was told maybe, and went back on Saturday and was told they never got any more in, then went the next day which would be the Sunday after that ad came out and the day the first day that sale price isn't in effect, and they have a shelf full of them. Oh yeah, not surprisingly, they have a no rain check policy.

If you know what you want and you don't expect a lot, it's probably better than BestBuy as far as selection, but if you have any expectation of talking to someone and you have a tendency to wish you could punch some people in the face, you will probably leave with that sensation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.