Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Marketing survey firm J.D. Power and Associates yesterday announced that the iPhone topped both its latest consumer and business smartphone consumer satisfaction surveys, receiving top marks in all categories on both surveys with the exception of battery life.
Apple ranks highest among manufacturers of smartphones used primarily for personal reasons, with a score of 811, and performs particularly well in ease of operation, operating system, features and physical design. LG (776) and RIM BlackBerry (759) follow Apple in the rankings.

Among customers who use their smartphones primarily for business purposes, Apple ranks highest with a score of 803, followed by RIM BlackBerry (724).
Survey scores, which are based on a 1,000-point scale, increased by 14 points on average in the consumer survey and 43 points in the business survey over 2008. The studies cite increased stylishness, customization opportunities, and user-friendliness as reasons for the gains. A companion survey of traditional mobile phones showed a decline of 6 points in the average consumer satisfaction, likely due to greater awareness of the advanced features offered by smartphones.

Article Link: iPhone Tops J.D. Power Consumer and Business Smartphone Satisfaction Rankings

Tiffy

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2009
Not surprising

The result is not really surprising. The blackberry is still better than the Iphone for the management of Ms Exchange e-mails and maybe battery life, but on all other points the Iphone is better (except if you want a physical keyboard).

sbrhwkp3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
Lake George, NY
Great award for Apple.

The J.D. Power awards are a great indicator of who's doing things right. Not that we all didn't already know that the iPhone, in terms of ease of use and practicality, is the best phone out there.

Now they have some hardware to back it up.

md65066

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2009
Apple

Great, now if Apple would either drop AT&T, or expand their phones to other networks.. *cough* some have 4G already. :apple:

Ericatomars

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
Chicago IL
Once the iphone breakes from ATT it will hopefully be pure bliss.. CANT WAIT! I don't care where the iphone goes after as long as its not ATT

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
Well deserved, indeed - The build quality, speed, and overall responsiveness of the 3GS continues to impress many, on a daily basis.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
The result is not really surprising. The blackberry is still better than the Iphone for the management of Ms Exchange e-mails and maybe battery life, but on all other points the Iphone is better (except if you want a physical keyboard).

Not trying to start an iPhone-vs. war, but out of curiosity, in what ways would you say BB is better for managing Exchange accounts? I've seen iPhones function with Exchange and they do it quite well.

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA
I've been very happy with everything about my iPhone, except for two things:
1) Network speed is lagging big time. There are many times that I want to look something up quickly, but don't because I know it will take over a minute (or more) to load the data through AT&T's slow network. In the office, if I'm in a meeting and I need to look something up on the internet, it only takes about ten seconds. With the iPhone, over a minute is too long.
2) Battery life has been great EXCEPT after the 3.1 update. Battery life went from great to terrible.

Tiffy

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2009
Not trying to start an iPhone-vs. war, but out of curiosity, in what ways would you say BB is better for managing Exchange accounts? I've seen iPhones function with Exchange and they do it quite well.

On the BB, you can sort the mails by sender, by date, etc. and also you can search a mail by keyword not only in the title (that's what the Iphone does), but also in the body of the e-mail. It's quite useful when you have thousands of e-mails...

But even if I miss these functions, I prefer the Iphone. It is a lot more versatile, easier to use, internet navigation is far better, etc etc.

JonathanU

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2008
London, UK
I don't know whether it's O2 in the UK being a lousy network, or my iPhone being faulty, but I have to confess that I occasionally miss my blackberry for the following reasons:

1. Lag. Connecting to my emails and downloading them is onerous. I know I can set the iphone to download them regularly, but this would further decrease the already pretty poor battery life. Also - when I type an SMS - sometimes several seconds elapse before what I've typed appears on screen.
2. Connection to my email seems to fail more often than it did on the blackberry. Also - my texts also fail to send about 20% of the time.
3. Dropped calls - about 25% of my calls fail either before being made or in the middle of the call. From a business use perspective this just isn't acceptable. I often have to restart the phone before I can make a call. I sometimes wonder what would happen in an emergency...
4. voicemail being slow to update - the iphone seems to randomly decide how quickly it will tell me about voicemails on the visual voicemail (which is an admittedly vast improvement on voicemail of old)

Don't get me wrong - look and feel, design and easy of use are all vastly superior on the iPhone, but I don't get the feeling that it's as robust somehow. I've had my 3G for more than a year though now, so maybe it's feeling the pain.

I also love the media on my iPhone, and the way it renders web pages and so on balance would still probably opt for it over the BB, but it's much closer for me than this survey suggests - and certainly, I'm surprised at the positive response from business users. For me, Blackberry is a workhorse, iPhone is a thoroughbred stallion. Horses for courses I suppose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.