Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

121212-IMG_0009.PNG_300.png

121212-IMG_0011.PNG_300.png

TouchArcade previewed
an upcoming release of [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_Band_(video_game)[/img]
Rock Band[/url] for the iPhone and iPod touch. Rock Band is, of course, an incredibly popular rhythm game franchise which allows up to four people play instruments in time with popular rock songs. The iPhone version offers on-screen tapping in the place for each instrument including vocals.
Each song can be played in four distinctly different ways– Guitar, bass, drums, and vocals. Every instrument has its own track that you tap along with, and they all match up with the music just as well as the other versions of the game. Each mode is also playable in three difficulty levels. Easy should be easy enough for anyone to jump in to, and hard seems fairly challenging.
The iPhone version of the game is expected to be released as early as next week.

Article Link: 'Rock Band' Coming to iPhone and iPod Touch

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
If it looks like what they showed on the android (or whatever the phone is on the verizon "there's a map for that" commercial) then it should be pretty awesome.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
They're going to have to step it up quite a bit to compete with the PSP Go or whatever that device is called.

Dainin

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2009
Why didn't they use the built in microphone for the singing? It looked like you just needed to touch the correct row?

kevindotcom

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2009
no singing?

I can't believe what they did to the singing. EA... this is a phone, which means it had a mic. WTH?

MrENGLISH

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2009
I can't believe what they did to the singing. EA... this is a phone, which means it had a mic. WTH?

why do people so easily forget about the iPod touch?... not everyone uses the iPhone for App Store Apps.

I do feel like they dropped the ball for those interested in singing though. Esp since you can use the mic built into the apple headphones on the iPod touch. Maybe they can add this feature later...

of course, being designed to be played on a portable device does mean that you may not be in a place where you can sing without disturbing those around you.

nickXedge

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2008
Long Island
This looks pretty amazing! And I agree they dropped the ball with the way it handles vocals. They could just as easily have put a little "Vocals on iPod Touch requires external microphone" disclaimer as other apps have with similar input. Other than that, it looks great and I look forward to seeing the price, and if not too high, I will definitely buy it. I think it could be like $9.99 because they might only give you a few songs and have in-app purchases of other songs probably. I could be wrong, but it makes sense. Get people on-board with a relatively low introductory price for a great game ported to these devices, and then make more money on $.99 songs for purchase.

kevindotcom

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2009
why do people so easily forget about the iPod touch?... not everyone uses the iPhone for App Store Apps.

I do feel like they dropped the ball for those interested in singing though. Esp since you can use the mic built into the apple headphones on the iPod touch. Maybe they can add this feature later...

of course, being designed to be played on a portable device does mean that you may not be in a place where you can sing without disturbing those around you.

I am sorry I didn't mention the iPod Touch. However, the iPod Touch can take advantage of the mic found in apples latest ear buds. I use it all the time for skype on my wife's iPod (2nd Gen).

UPDATE: Oops, did not notice that you mentioned the ear buds yourself. Cheers!

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
Vocals could've been a great way to distinguish this from the Tap Tap Revenge style games. That said, I'm surprised that Tap Tap hasn't already included a true vocal mode.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Why didn't they use the built in microphone for the singing? It looked like you just needed to touch the correct row?

Do you really want to be on a crowded bus or subway when half of the riders are trying to sing along to Coheed and Cambria or Rush and attempting the high pitch?

I'd rather listen to nails on a chalkboard. ;)

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
Note the multiplayer achievement... this game will be amazing in ad-hoc mode... seriously good. Pending on price, I might get this

Dainin

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2009
Do you really want to be on a crowded bus or subway when half of the riders are trying to sing along to Coheed and Cambria or Rush and attempting the high pitch?

A good point, to be sure.

It would be nice to have the option though.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
This has the potential to rock (so to speak) or fail in a Darwin award winning sort of way. I'm going to waitfor the reviews before I plunk down the cash.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
This has the potential to rock (so to speak) or fail in a Darwin award winning sort of way. I'm going to wait for the reviews before I plunk down the cash.

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
Maybe they're working on singing for a future update because they felt it was too difficult? No idea. Kelly Clarkson's Open Mic wasn't even near close to decent in singing (because only females could actually play that game and do well without males having to feminize their voices sounding like high pitched peoples).

Maccin475

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2009

Haha, Good point. I just might have to buy an iPod Touch for this particular app.

huntercr

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2006
4 player?

Does that mean they have it work syncronized with 3 other people's iphones too?

That would be truly awesome

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.