Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps

Old Oct 9, 2009, 12:30 PM   #1
Mischka07
macrumors regular

Reinstalling a deleted "paid for" app

Hi all,

I recently deleted an application I paid for, but was wondering if there's anyway to reinstall it in the future via the App Store. Currently, when I try to download it from the App Store, it appears I will be charged for the app again.

Thanks!
Mischka07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2009, 12:42 PM   #2
Eminemdrdre00
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischka07 View Post
Hi all,

I recently deleted an application I paid for, but was wondering if there's anyway to reinstall it in the future via the App Store. Currently, when I try to download it from the App Store, it appears I will be charged for the app again.

Thanks!
It appears that way, but you wont be. As long as you're signed into the account you originally bought that app on, when you click "Buy" a pop up will display, telling you that you've already purchased the app. Then it will give you the option to download it again for free.
16GB iPad Air
Eminemdrdre00 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2009, 01:18 PM   #3
outphase
macrumors 65816

What about for in-app purchases? Are those managed the same way as standard apps in terms of redownloads?
outphase is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2009, 01:39 PM   #4
RobT
macrumors 6502a

I've only done one in-app purchase so far. However, when I set up iPhone as a new phone when I upgraded to 3.1, the in-app purchase worked without me having to pay again.

I was nervous as it looked like I was going to get charged, but the you already purchased this dialogue came up and all was good.

Just my experience.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 02:06 PM   #5
bozzykid
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by outphase View Post
What about for in-app purchases? Are those managed the same way as standard apps in terms of redownloads?
In-app purchases are different since they are tied to that particular phone. I haven't tried it yet, so I'm not sure what will happen if you try to re-purchase something like this. My guess is you will get charged.
bozzykid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2009, 03:08 PM   #6
nburwell
macrumors 68000

From experience, I have downloaded and re-downloaded an app I paid for. I was not charged for the re-download of the app. The App Store should recgonize that you already paid for the app with a pop-up prompt (at least that's what it did for me).
nburwell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2009, 03:17 PM   #7
CylonGlitch
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eminemdrdre00 View Post
It appears that way, but you wont be. As long as you're signed into the account you originally bought that app on, when you click "Buy" a pop up will display, telling you that you've already purchased the app. Then it will give you the option to download it again for free.
Here is a problem with the system. If you THINK you purchased the app, and click on the "Buy It" button; if you actually didn't, you end up buying it. This happened to me recently. I have a bunch of To-Do list apps because none have been exactly what I want. But I was reinstalling some and one, which had a name the same as another one I clicked on because I was confused and I ended up spending $2.99 on it.

Just be very careful. I wish there was a prompt AFTER clicking on it, "You will be charged $x.xx, are you sure?" If you click on it and own it you get a prompt, "You have already purchased this app, do you want to download it again for free?"
Last edited by CylonGlitch : Tomorrow at 37:05 AM.
MRoogle
CylonGlitch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2009, 03:41 PM   #8
vertigo235
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozzykid View Post
In-app purchases are different since they are tied to that particular phone. I haven't tried it yet, so I'm not sure what will happen if you try to re-purchase something like this. My guess is you will get charged.
Are you CERTAIN about this? What happens when you get your phone replaced due to warrenty? Are you sure it's not tied to the iTunes account like all other purchases?
vertigo235 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps