Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

Old Oct 9, 2009, 08:11 PM   #1
kgeier82
macrumors 65816

Powermat?

Anyone buy/use one of these?

A little expensive, but sooo cool!

powermat.com.

costs 139$

Looking for reviews/thoughts of what you guys think. I mean, you get a case, which we all spend 30$ on anyways.
kgeier82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2009, 09:00 PM   #2
cocky jeremy
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to cocky jeremy Send a message via Skype™ to cocky jeremy
Wildcharge makes a cheaper one. They sent me one to review on my site, i havenít uploaded it yet though. It works really well and itís only like $80. Still not cheap, but less than PM though.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 09:23 PM   #3
Mystikal
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to Mystikal
Smart, but you cant use your phone while plugged in. I dont think wireless charging is worth it until its TRULY wireless. (as in use your phone while charging and not wired.)
Mystikal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2009, 09:33 PM   #4
The Californian
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal View Post
Smart, but you cant use your phone while plugged in. I dont think wireless charging is worth it until its TRULY wireless. (as in use your phone while charging and not wired.)
I would have to venture to say the exact opposite. Take a look at how wireless charging works, I for one would not want electro-magnetic waves actively working on a device I am using. That's just my opinion though.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 09:45 PM   #5
ZipZap
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal View Post
How do you figure?

Use the ipod dock and use the phone.
ZipZap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2009, 09:46 PM   #6
ZipZap
macrumors 68040

This is a much more elegant solution than the wildcharge.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 10:19 PM   #7
nehunte
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbuddycorex View Post
I would have to venture to say the exact opposite. Take a look at how wireless charging works, I for one would not want electro-magnetic waves actively working on a device I am using. That's just my opinion though.
Read this: http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/143945
Old Oct 9, 2009, 11:42 PM   #8
cocky jeremy
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to cocky jeremy Send a message via Skype™ to cocky jeremy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipZap View Post
This is a much more elegant solution than the wildcharge.
How so? Itís just a bigger, uglier case. lol.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 01:29 AM   #9
Slip Jigs
macrumors 6502a

I'm just waiting for the first report of one of these frying the iPhone battery or blowing up the whole freekin phone.
Slip Jigs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2009, 07:42 PM   #10
ihonda
macrumors 65816

target already has these on clearence by me. base = $69.99 and the iphone sell is 29.99 and the 8900 shell is 29.99

....just left there. looks like this isnt gonna be too good
ihonda is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2009, 08:37 PM   #11
steve knight
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbuddycorex View Post
well you better not turn on your phone. also keep it away from most electrical sources.
steve knight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2009, 07:27 AM   #12
ZipZap
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocky jeremy View Post
How so? Itís just a bigger, uglier case. lol.
Would not use the case.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 10:05 PM   #13
Resist
macrumors 68030

While the technology is interesting and not new, it is kind of pointless and expensive right now. Why is it so hard to just use the iPhone charging cable and power adapter? It is smaller and I can take it with me anywhere, while the PowerMat is much larger. The only advantage I see using a PowerMat is that you can charge more than one item at a time. But you still have to plug the PowerMat in and if you don't use the PowerMat iPhone case, then you have to plug in an adapter. So it doesn't save any steps.

Now if my kitchen counter had this technology where I could use my blender and other appliances without out cords, then I would be all over it. And yes I saw the video about it, but it's not ready for prime time yet.
Resist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2009, 08:34 PM   #14
OrangeSVTguy
macrumors 601

Just saw a commercial on TV about this about buying it at Best Buy so I decided to search this site for Powermat. The idea seems pretty cool but what is so "wireless" about this? I wanna see some Tesla coil design in something like this . You still have to have contact with the charging station and add a bulky adapter to the device.

How is this any different than say a universal Magsafe adapter?

I really love the idea about this being implemented in a kitchen counter like previously said since no likes to leave their appliances left out on their counter tops.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 10:39 PM   #15
youngplaya0228
macrumors regular

I was hoping it would be a little more stylish like it is for the Palm Pre
youngplaya0228 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2009, 08:26 AM   #16
waremaster
macrumors 6502

I just bought one of the powermat cases for my iPod Touch 2nd gen simply because I needed a case anyway and for 10.00 more than most cases it is nice for 2 reasons. 1 it gives me the option to buy a powermat base later if I want and 2 I can now charge and sync using a standard MicroUSB cable anywhere anytime. I believe the industry is moving toward standardizing on the MicroUSB cable soon anyway so it makes sense.
waremaster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2009, 08:44 AM   #17
Gav2k
macrumors 601

The only time wireless charging will take off is if apple enable wireless sync. Can't see that happening until the iPhone gets pre-n
Old Oct 22, 2009, 08:58 AM   #18
waremaster
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav2k View Post
The only time wireless charging will take off is if apple enable wireless sync. Can't see that happening until the iPhone gets pre-n
You are right. However there is technically no reason apple could not sync over 802.11g,
Old Oct 22, 2009, 09:12 AM   #19
Gav2k
macrumors 601

Really it's a little slow.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 09:13 AM   #20
lulla01
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to lulla01
powermat

powermat sucks because you need to buy 40.00 attatchments for each of your phones which is dumb. I am sure that blackberries will start coming integrated with the chip to wirelessly charge because RIIM makes the powermat
lulla01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2009, 10:05 AM   #21
waremaster
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulla01 View Post
powermat sucks because you need to buy 40.00 attatchments for each of your phones which is dumb. I am sure that blackberries will start coming integrated with the chip to wirelessly charge because RIIM makes the powermat
Could you provide a source for that last statement?
Old Oct 23, 2009, 01:04 AM   #22
Resist
macrumors 68030

What I hate about this product is that you leave it plugged in, which draws power even when not used. So basically it is an energy vampire and although the amount is low, it all adds up with my other devices that draw power while off.

Still seems easier to just use my iPhone AC power cord/adapter.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 09:39 AM   #23
waremaster
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resist View Post
What I hate about this product is that you leave it plugged in, which draws power even when not used. So basically it is an energy vampire and although the amount is low, it all adds up with my other devices that draw power while off.

Still seems easier to just use my iPhone AC power cord/adapter.
Do you unplug all of the wall warts you have as well? Or do you plug them in every time you need to charge your device?

I am not going to defend the price of powermat but I will defend the idea. And again for me it was a case that cost 39.99 vs the typical 29.99 and I get to use a standard sync cable to charge and sync instead of the propriatary ipod cable. The other benefit of the device is the lack of wear and tear on the plug that is in the bottom of the ipod / iphone since you are not constantly unplugging and plugging in a cable to it.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 06:20 PM   #24
Resist
macrumors 68030

No I don't always unplug all my electrical devices, but adding more energy vampires to the mix doesn't help my electric bill. Don't get me wrong, I love the concept, I just don't think the PowerMat saves enough time or wear and tear to be worth the cost. Just not that big of a deal to plug my iPhone in to it charge up vers spending $100 for the PowerMat, paying for it to be plugged in all the time and using it's bulky case.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 04:35 PM   #25
frezkee
macrumors newbie

I did an unboxing of both mats. Review coming soon.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0cONKl9fWA

Still not sure if its worth the price. Leaning slightly to no as the receivers make it pretty costly and the entire process becomes a hassle when you have to remove it from the case. Still waiting for 100% wireless charging.
frezkee is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories