Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Oct 9, 2009, 10:06 PM   #1
macsarethebest
macrumors regular

How to combine songs into one album...

Hi,
I have an album with songs that have different artists. How do you make them into one album, so they aren't separate in coverflow?
Thanx
macsarethebest is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2009, 10:58 PM   #2
Grey Podder
macrumors newbie

Select all the songs together in iTunes, press Command+I or right click, then click Get Info. Go to the Options tab and change "Part of a compilation" to "Yes".
Grey Podder is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2009, 10:03 AM   #3
macsarethebest
macrumors regular

thanks for trying, but no luck.
macsarethebest is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2009, 10:18 AM   #4
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsarethebest View Post
Hi,
I have an album with songs that have different artists. How do you make them into one album, so they aren't separate in coverflow?
Thanx
Change the "Album Artist" to "Various Artists". Leave the "Artist" tag as it is, with each individual artist there. iTunes uses "Album" and "Album Artist" to match album songs.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2009, 06:10 PM   #5
Grey Podder
macrumors newbie

Odd that it didn't work. I tested it personally on two compilation albums I have. And contrary to GGJstudios, I have nothing entered in the Album Artist field.

A final place to check would be the Album and Sort Album fields. Any difference, even a stray space, can affect the sorting.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 07:02 PM   #6
jamesdmc
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Podder View Post
Select all the songs together in iTunes, press Command+I or right click, then click Get Info. Go to the Options tab and change "Part of a compilation" to "Yes".
This has never worked for me either. Do what GGJstudios said. That's how I have mine setup and it keeps various artists compilations together.

James
Old Oct 11, 2009, 08:06 PM   #7
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Odd that it didn't work. I tested it personally on two compilation albums I have. And contrary to GGJstudios, I have nothing entered in the Album Artist field.

A final place to check would be the Album and Sort Album fields. Any difference, even a stray space, can affect the sorting.
The reason the compilation works for you is that you don't have the Album Artist field properly filled out. Using your method, there would be no way to sort by Album Artist. The OP wants to keep albums intact, not to abandon the Album Artist information.

Last edited by GGJstudios; Oct 11, 2009 at 09:54 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 09:47 PM   #8
Grey Podder
macrumors newbie

GGJstudios...

Beg pardon, but I wrote that I had nothing in the “Album Artist” field. My Album field is filled in, Album Artist is empty and the songs are set to compilation. Using this setup cover flow displays the album as having Various Artists and correctly groups the songs together.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 09:50 PM   #9
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Beg pardon, but I wrote that I had nothing in the “Album Artist” field. My Album field is filled in, Album Artist is empty and the songs are set to compilation. Using this setup cover flow displays the album as having Various Artists and correctly groups the songs together.
I've corrected my previous post. The facts are the same, whether it's the Album or Album Artist field. iTunes uses Album and Album Artist to group albums. If multiple songs have the same Album and the same Album Artist (with appropriate Sort info, if applicable), the other fields can have anything in them and they will still sort together in Cover Flow.

Last edited by GGJstudios; Oct 11, 2009 at 09:59 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 11:00 PM   #10
Grey Podder
macrumors newbie

Well, I'm stumped. The reason I never bother manually entering Album Artist info is because marking them as part of a compilation has always worked. As long as I have the columns in iTunes sorted by either Album, Album by Artist or Album by Year they remain a single entry in cover flow view.

Afraid I'll have to admit defeat on this one. I understand the reasoning behind your method, GGJstudios, although I'm still curious as to why my method works for me but not for the original poster.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 11:27 PM   #11
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
... I'm still curious as to why my method works for me but not for the original poster.
It's probably because they have info in both the Album and Album Artist columns, which you don't have.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 04:13 PM   #12
Roslyn
macrumors newbie

Thankyou GGJstudios

I spent 3 hours trying to figure this out, not even apple support could not help me, although they tried - I knew the answer would be something simple but you don't know what you don't know and yes, your fix worked immediately - thankyou so much.
Roslyn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2009, 01:20 AM   #13
DABurack
macrumors newbie

This worked for me:

Batch-changed Album Artist to the name of the album
DABurack is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store