Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

colourfulclock

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2009
Australia
Hi,

This is of course only for people who can't afford and iPhone but have and iPod Touch.

Would it be possible to develop a way to make the iPod Touch act as a bluetooth headset for a mobile phone, so that the call could be taken using the touch's earphones and mic?

It would probably require a jailbroken ipod, but it really would be perfect. We could all buy a crappy prepaid (or cheap post paid) cellphone, and simply use our touch as an iPhone through it. Most people (or at least people i know) always have both their phone and ipod in their pocket. Or you could even have the phone in your bag and ipod in your pocket and then simply answer the ipod.

So people would call the usual cellphone number, and when the touch was within bluetooth range it would ring and could be answered like a bluetooth headset.

I think it would be amazing if it could be done. And really, there are apps which change the ipods MAC address and everything, so surely it would be possible to implement.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!!

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
Well, the (new) touch only has a speaker and mic if you use the wired earphones that come with it. Has anyone confirmed that the mic works on a stereo BT headset? I think there issues using them with skype.

But for me, this would so not be worth the effort and hassle. Just pair a BT headset to the crappy phone and be done. There is nothing on my touch I need to make a phone call, or have it run in the middle.

So basically, not interested.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Well, the iPod Touch only has a minimal speaker and no microphone built in, so you'd have to use the headphone/mic combo anyway.

If you have a crappy phone, the sound is not going to get any better if you were to send it to an iPod. Why add a complicated step? Why not just open the phone and use it?

This sounds like an attempt to look cool by making people think you have an iPhone.

akbc

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
That's a great idea,

I remember using my Palm Tungsten PDA hooked up to my old cellphone via bluetooth and being able to send text messages and stuff thru my tungsten's better keyboard...

And I also had a Samsung P2 MP3 player where I was able to answer phone calls (but no sending text messages) through the mp3 player leaving my cellphone in my bag...

My best guess is that Apple isn't allowing developers to develop such an app., since it would hurt iPhone sales?

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
Get a Samsung T10, P2, P3, or wait for the R1 or M1. The first three are already capable of doing what you want. The last two will most likely be the same.

rekhyt

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2008
Part of the old MR guard.
How would the iPod Touch be able to receive the call though? A background app? Push notification? And wouldn't the call be less secure?

Call-->ISP-->Your phone--(transmitted)-->Your iPod Touch?

ayesayer

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2009
Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
I had the exact same idea. In fact, I found this thread by googling "iPod touch as bluetooth headset". I agree with you 100%, this would be a killer app for the iPod touch.

If you have a crappy phone, the sound is not going to get any better if you were to send it to an iPod. Why add a complicated step? Why not just open the phone and use it?

Actually, it would make things a lot simpler. Imagine you're listening to music on a bus, or walking down the street, and your phone starts to ring. You have to grab the iPod, pause it, remove your headphones, and reach for your phone (or find it, if it's in a bag/purse/backpack) before you can answer it. And when you're done with the phone, you have to put it back where it was, put your headphones back on, and manually resume playback on the iPod.

If the iPod could be used as a bluetooth headset, you would be able to answer the call by touching a button on the screen or clicking the remote. Your music would pause automatically, and resume as soon as you finished the call.

And, if you're not using the iPod at that moment, you'd still have the option of just grabbing the phone and using it directly.

How would the iPod Touch be able to receive the call though? A background app? Push notification? And wouldn't the call be less secure?

Call-->ISP-->Your phone--(transmitted)-->Your iPod Touch?

The bluetooth connection would have to be managed by a background process. The UI would work the same way as the Phone app on the iPhone, interrupting whatever app you're currently using whenever a call comes in.

Your calls would be just as secure as with any other bluetooth headset.

MikeTheRocker96

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2009
Canada
I think that would be an awesome feature! This would be great especially considering my iPod touch doesn't support the specific bluetooth frequency that my bluetooth headset operates on! I could use the iPod as the headset to a phone! That would be even nicer if you could tether the phone's network connection with the iPod for mobile internet on the iPod anywhere you could get a cell signal! I would pay a steep charge for this if I had to.

Hackmodford

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2010
I am also extremely interested in this. If I could do this I would never even need to take my cellphone out of my bag/pocket. I would also be willing to pay money for an app like this. Somebody Please develop this. This is the sole reason I subscribed to the forum to post in this topic :D

rohit6060

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2010
Ipod touch 4 has a built in mic.I guess that would make the process easier.iOS4 anyways supports multitasking hence u can always have a app running for this purpose.I think it can be legally done.I don't c a need to jailbreak,we r just using the multi tasking capability and the bluetooth.But it surely gonna be interesting..

hodok

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2010
I thought of this idea too, even before I buyed ipod! all i wanted to say been said by:
Actually, it would make things a lot simpler. Imagine you're listening to music on a bus, or walking down the street, and your phone starts to ring. You have to grab the iPod, pause it, remove your headphones, and reach for your phone (or find it, if it's in a bag/purse/backpack) before you can answer it. And when you're done with the phone, you have to put it back where it was, put your headphones back on, and manually resume playback on the iPod.

If the iPod could be used as a bluetooth headset, you would be able to answer the call by touching a button on the screen or clicking the remote. Your music would pause automatically, and resume as soon as you finished the call.

And, if you're not using the iPod at that moment, you'd still have the option of just grabbing the phone and using it directly.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I thought of this idea too, even before I buyed ipod! all i wanted to say been said by:

If you really want this, just get an iPhone. It's ***exactly*** what the iPhone was invented for. Or get MyWi and use VOIP to turn your Touch into a phone. Talk about convoluted solutions to a problem!

hodok

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2010
If you really want this, just get an iPhone. It's ***exactly*** what the iPhone was invented for. Or get MyWi and use VOIP to turn your Touch into a phone. Talk about convoluted solutions to a problem!
It's not rational to watch videos on a phone, you can stay without communication because of battery lose. Besides it costs 1666$ in my country and that's more expensive than 280$ for ipod

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
It's not rational to watch videos on a phone, you can stay without communication because of battery lose. Besides it costs 1666$ in my country and that's more expensive than 280$ for ipod

Ouch! But how come? In the US, I believe iPhones are around $600-800 without carrier subsidy, and touches are, I forget, $250-400? Anyway, the price difference seems proportional to the additional functionality you get on the iPhone.

In any case, I'm glad I don't need a cell phone, had completely forgotten about videos, I guess because I never watch them on my Touch. :p

hodok

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2010
Night Spring
I don't know why but prices on Apple devices in Russia are enormus. And I had to ask a friend in USA to buy iPod for me. Even SIM-free iPhone from USA wouldn't work in Russian GSM networks without flashing... :( So that was the only option to enjoy the benefits of iOS 4, and other goodies.
BTW I always bringing two mobile phones with me, so even if I'd have 2 iPhones, I would need such app to use them together

Sarah Hastings

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2010
I don’t think it’s a good idea, merging the functionality of iPod and iPhone would just make it less intriguing for me, for both. I think iPod has its own charm, and is so not made to be used as a phone. I agree if you are watching a video, a phone call would be disturbing, also if adding a Bluetooth headset would have a cost, which means it’s better to add up money and go for an iPhone which is made for phoning. Just sharing my thoughts!

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I don’t think it’s a good idea, merging the functionality of iPod and iPhone would just make it less intriguing for me, for both. I think iPod has its own charm, and is so not made to be used as a phone. I agree if you are watching a video, a phone call would be disturbing, also if adding a Bluetooth headset would have a cost, which means it’s better to add up money and go for an iPhone which is made for phoning. Just sharing my thoughts!

Something about this post triggered my memory.... Aren't there bluetooth headsets that can be paired to multiple devices? So you pair it to your phone and to your iPod. You are listening to your iPod, your phone rings, you click a button and your headest switches to your phone. I think I've seen ads for headsets that does that. Or am I just imagining things?

hodok

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2010
Night Spring
You maybe right! The only small thing remains, is that you won't be able to use very handy wired remote of iPod. If there is any bluetooth remotes for iPod and you can use them simultaneously with other bluetooth devices - that would solved the problem perfectly well!

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Night Spring
You maybe right! The only small thing remains, is that you won't be able to use very handy wired remote of iPod. If there is any bluetooth remotes for iPod and you can use them simultaneously with other bluetooth devices - that would solved the problem perfectly well!

ummm, what "wired remote" are you talking about? And there are bluetooth headsets that have buttons on them to control iPod, like play/pause, volume, previous/next.

hodok

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2010
Night Spring
More specifically it's not remote, but wired headphones with remote, like Apple In-Ear Headphones.
And there are bluetooth headsets that have buttons on them to control iPod, like play/pause, volume, previous/next.
Glad to hear there is such gadgets, the only thing remains is to know if they supporting multiple devices connected(I'm using 3 of them simultaneously).

Looks like I found a couple, but still don't know if it fulfill my requirements
http://www.wi-gear.com/products/imuffs/mh220.php
http://www.reghardware.com/2007/11/21/review_iskin_f1_tx/ (this one look promising)

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Glad to hear there is such gadgets, the only thing remains is to know if they supporting multiple devices connected(I'm using 3 of them simultaneously).

Looks like I found a couple, but still don't know if it fulfill my requirements
http://www.wi-gear.com/products/imuffs/mh220.php
http://www.reghardware.com/2007/11/21/review_iskin_f1_tx/ (this one look promising)

Found one that specifically says it can be used the way you want.
http://www.jaybirdgear.com/jb200/bluetooth-headphones-features.html

See "multitask"

eshroom

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2006
Is quite a good idea, but begs the question, why not just get an iPhone instead of a phone and an iPod...

I think since file sharing over bluetooth isn't even available perhaps it may be a tall order to make this.

mryner4

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2010
Is quite a good idea, but begs the question, why not just get an iPhone instead of a phone and an iPod...

I think since file sharing over bluetooth isn't even available perhaps it may be a tall order to make this.

Very good point...but here is my excuse :p

1. I have Verizon.
2. I do not wish to switch to AT&T.
3. I have free VOIP on my iTouch from Google Voice.
4. I would be using the "bluetooth headset" feature with my PS3, not for the purposes of my cell phone.

Just thought I would put it out there that bluetooth headsets are not strictly used for talking on the phone.

If anyone finds out if, when, and/or how this is possible, please send some feedback! :cool::cool::cool:

somethingurenot

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2010
Good idea - something I've been considering for a while too!

I also think the iPod would have to be jailbroken as Apple only allow A2DP headphones as far I as understood - no mic support. I can't see this being too difficult to add to BTstack (I mean Roqy can get Bluetooth GPS to work on iPod!)

Another curious and perhaps helpful thing is that OSX used to support Bluetooth texting and calls from Address Book and a dashboard widget. I think this was scrapped around OS10.5 but it must be possible to recreate on iPod - we even have address book ready to do it!

hodok

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2010
somethingurenot
Yeah, I totally agree with you!

BTW, I have jailbroken iPod 4, which hacks will be needed for the maximum bluetooth support (bluetooth headset in particular)?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.