Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coldmedina

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2007
while using shuffle mode in my ipod app on the 3G, it keeps playing the same songs, and from what i can tell in pretty much the same order. it doesn't happen every time, but it's more times than not, and it's gotten to the point where i have to skip forward about 15-20 songs before i start getting new random songs.

i remember itunes used to have a preference that had shuffle favor tracks based on most played (and ratings i think), but i don't see this pref anywhere anymore. not in the itunes software, or on the iphone under any of its settings.

anyone else have this problem?

AAPLaday

Aug 6, 2008
Manchester UK
You can create a smart playlist in itunes and have it select the top 50 or however many most played tracks. And then select shuffle once you are playing that playlist. Hope this helps

Acronym

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2008
while using shuffle mode in my ipod app on the 3G, it keeps playing the same songs, and from what i can tell in pretty much the same order. it doesn't happen every time, but it's more times than not, and it's gotten to the point where i have to skip forward about 15-20 songs before i start getting new random songs.

i remember itunes used to have a preference that had shuffle favor tracks based on most played (and ratings i think), but i don't see this pref anywhere anymore. not in the itunes software, or on the iphone under any of its settings.

anyone else have this problem?

thats because shuffle isnt true shuffle its more noticeable when you have less songs in the playlist.

the way the shuffle works is it will play all songs at least once in some random order, once its gone through the list of songs instead of creating a new random list it simply repeats the list the same way it went through last time.

so if you listened to say:
(in this order)
cant repeat - offspring
Make you feel better - RHCP
Superman's Dead - OLP
Enter sandman - Metallica
Big Jack - ACDC
Black in Back - ACDC
Can't Get my (Head around you) - Offspring
Inside the fire - Disturbed
Cochise - Audioslave
Killing In The Name Of - Rage Against The Machine
Rusted From The Rain - Billy Talent

etc...

then it will play it in that "supposed shuffled" order and once it hits the lst song in that playlist it will just repeat in that same order

coldmedina

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2007
thanks guys. still baffled about this. i have over 900 songs on my iphone, so it blows my mind when it manages to find the same "random" path through my tunes.

and it definitely seems to gravitate to certain artists more than others, for instance it plays artists ivy and vangelis all the time, but never plays vader or vomit the soul. could be that my iphone is developing tastes of it's own, but for example i play the vangelis blade runner soundtrack all the time while at work, so when i hit shuffle it seems to remember that...

anyway, still perplexed.

frozenbubble

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2009
True Shuffle to the rescue!

I wrote True Shuffle to help out with the problem of iPods/iPhones playing the same songs over and over... True Shuffle lets you listen to every song you own, without any repeats, until you've heard them all! And you can ban any songs you don't like.

Check it out - http://bratton.com/trueshuffle/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.