Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eddyq

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Is there a way to setup an alternate IP address with OSX 10.5.8?

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Depends on what you mean by an alternate IP address.

One possible interpretation is what's commonly known as multihoming: a single host has different IP addresses on different network interfaces. For example, one IP address on wired ethernet (en0) and a different address on wireless (en1).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multihoming

If that's what you want, try googling: multihome mac os leopard

That may seem like a brush-off, but frankly, there is a book at Amazon, posts on Apple discussion boards, and various articles that talk about it or describe products. Also, Leopard Server provides multihoming out of the box. I don't know which of those would serve you best, or even whether that's what you want.

If that's not what you want, then you'll have to explain what you mean by an alternate IP address, perhaps by explaining what you're trying to accomplish.

eddyq

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
No, I want to have more than one IP address on the hard wired port. This is an option in Windows and I thought Mac would have it also.

Nugget

Contributor
Nov 24, 2002
Tejas Hill Country
eddyq is not asking about multihoming, he's asking about ip aliases. Yes, it's totally possible to bind a second IP address to an interface in OS X, but I'm not sure the GUI tools in System Preferences will do it.

You can absolutely do it from the command-line, though, using the ifconfig command.

Something like:
Code:
sudo ifconfig en0 alias 10.0.0.10 netmask 255.255.255.255

Edit: Ah, you can do it from System Preferences. Just hit the "+" button to add a new interface, select the ethernet or wireless interface you want to add the second IP to, then set the parameters. Just remember to set the netmask to 255.255.255.255 if the second IP address is in the same subnet as the primary ip address on that interface.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.