Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Oct 10, 2009, 06:25 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

The Apple Time Capsule Memorial Register

Category: Apple Hardware
Link: The Apple Time Capsule Memorial Register
Description:: With first generation Time Capsules dying in vast amounts over the past two months, and many different discussions scattered over the net, there is now a central website where users can register the premature 'death' of their beloved "server grade" backup solution.

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Oct 10, 2009, 06:40 PM   #2
clayj
macrumors 604

This is funny as hell. (Unless, of course, your Time Capsule died and took your data with it.)

Just a reminder to everyone: Hard drives die. This is inevitable. You need to perform backups to CD, DVD, Blu-ray, or some kind of solid-state media (USB thumbdrive) every once in a while to protect against data loss. Or, you can maintain multiple backups on more than one hard drive, since the odds of multiple hard drives dying simultaneously is very low.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 06:54 PM   #3
kfbest
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayj View Post
This is funny as hell. (Unless, of course, your Time Capsule died and took your data with it.)

Just a reminder to everyone: Hard drives die. This is inevitable. You need to perform backups to CD, DVD, Blu-ray, or some kind of solid-state media (USB thumbdrive) every once in a while to protect against data loss. Or, you can maintain multiple backups on more than one hard drive, since the odds of multiple hard drives dying simultaneously is very low.

These deaths have nothing to do with the hard drives, which are still perfectly good. They are due to the internal power supply overheating and failing... This problem could have been avoided with one of a couple minor design changes on Apple's part to prevent heat buildup.
kfbest is offline   0
Old Oct 10, 2009, 11:31 PM   #4
tempusfugit
macrumors 65816

way to get excited about a site that hasn't changed since may of 2008.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 07:47 AM   #5
macjunk(ie)
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayj View Post

well...this hard drive is not supposed to die so soon...Apple says that it uses server grade hard disks...so no...we cannot pass off this failure as any other hard drive failure....dude..think about it....it costs freakin 500 bucks!!!
macjunk(ie) is offline   0
Old Oct 15, 2009, 11:14 PM   #6
montex
macrumors regular

Death Toll Increases...

Today, the Time Capsule death toll is 323, which includes my TC that died on Monday, after 18 months and 24 days. $500 + tax is a lot of money to waste on a product that fails so soon - and certainly not what I would expect from an Apple product.

I hope Apple recognizes this defect and issues a recall or extends the warranty.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 12:38 PM   #7
pr5owner
macrumors 65816

no guys apple products just work. its probably just the users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjunk(ie) View Post
well...this hard drive is not supposed to die so soon...Apple says that it uses server grade hard disks...so no...we cannot pass off this failure as any other hard drive failure....dude..think about it....it costs freakin 500 bucks!!!
oh ok servergrade LMFAO, you mean the cheapest slowest lowest quality seagate drives are server grade? yeah ok. sure.

server grade drives are seagate 15000RPM cheetahs (SAS not SATA)
http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/pro...rvers/cheetah/
they also have a 5 yr warranty, not apple's garbage 1 yr

even then, a low end drive will still last longer than what these TC's are lasting.

Last edited by pr5owner; Oct 16, 2009 at 12:44 PM.
pr5owner is offline   0
Old Oct 16, 2009, 06:20 PM   #8
2002cbr600f4i
macrumors 6502

TC's run VERY hot... I have a small desk fan plugged in and blowing across the top of mine 24/7 to try to keep the temps down... They really need better airflow in the design.

Heat is the enemy of electronics and hard drives. Keep things cool and they'll last longer.

What sucks is that desk fan is 10x louder than my Mac Pro is!
2002cbr600f4i is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion