Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
A lot of us had some major problems with 3.1 and I for one would have loved to seen the benefits and pitfalls prior to updating. I've decided to create and maintain this thread where everyone can list any improvements they notice and any bugs they notice as well.

**UPDATE**

So i've been on 3.1.2 for a full day now and the improvements are dramatic for me. I did a full clean install, setting it up as a new phone and everything is running great. Apart from the obvious fix of the "Coma" issue which I was personally having multiple times a day, my battery life has been outstanding! I'm just amazed by it, with 3.1.1 I was unable to go a few hours without having to charge, i've been using my phone the way I always do for about six hours and I have about 95% batter life still. If anyone is still on the wall on if you should upgrade or not, i'll give you my final advice at the bottom.

IMPROVEMENTS
- Fixes iPhone "Coma" issue
- Fixes iPhone network reception problems
- Some reports of better 3G signal strength
- Comes with AT&T Carrier 5.6
- Speeds up MMS sending
- Allows VoIP over 3G​
- Improves Battery Life Dramatically
- iPhone OS reportedly runs "smoother"
- Scrolling appears smoother
- Safari seems "snappier"

BUGS
- SMS audible notification issues still remain
- Smart playlists are not working properly
- According to TheSpaz it is still not as smooth as 2.2.1

OTHER UNCLASSIFIABLE CHANGES
- AT&T Carrier 5.6 removes the section under "Usage" that keeps a record of Tethering Data.
- Keyboard Click Sound seems quieter to some.

IF YOU'RE STILL HAVING MAJOR PROBLEMS WITH OS 3.1.2

- Make sure you set your phone up as a new phone when you installed the new OS, not restored from a backup.
- If you restore from a backup you risk porting over your problems with the backup.​

FINAL RECOMMENDATION
- If you have been having problems with 3.1.1 including battery problems, iPhone "Coma", Signal Problems, then upgrade.
- If you have not been having any problems with 3.1.1 then stay put, why mess with it if it's working fine?

martuk

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2009
For me it did not fix the sms alert problem. It is very occasional that it didnt sound on 3.0 that I was on, but so far with 3.1.2 its done it twice in the last two days.

Mystikal

macrumors 68020
Oct 4, 2007
Irvine, CA
Ive noticed on my end itunes syncs and backs up my phone a lot faster than it did on any other firmwares. It may be because I have less apps, but everything is moving a lot faster in itunes.

nonocei

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I'm glad it fixed the "coma" issue on my phone. Everything has been running great now on my phone.

My sms alert is buggy (rarely) as I do not hear a sound or vibration. I'm happy with it overall though.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
I'm glad it fixed the "coma" issue on my phone. Everything has been running great now on my phone.

My sms alert is buggy (rarely) as I do not hear a sound or vibration. I'm happy with it overall though.

For me it did not fix the sms alert problem. It is very occasional that it didnt sound on 3.0 that I was on, but so far with 3.1.2 its done it twice in the last two days.

happens to me too! i hate it. before 3.0 this did not happen.

also by iphone coma that means what?, because i might still have it. my iphone did this once since 3.1.2. I thought it would fix it, but anyway, sometimes when i restart my phone it will freeze on the apple logo when turning back on. i then do a hard reset and then it works, but then my apps kick me out until i connect the iphone back to my computer and it does a little sync. or i can even just redownload an app and then the apps work. its weird.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
A lot of us had some major problems with 3.1 and I for one would have loved to seen the benefits and pitfalls prior to updating. I've decided to create and maintain this thread where everyone can list any improvements they notice and any bugs they notice as well. I still haven't updated, but will be tomorrow so I can only give second hand information as to what improvements have been noticed thus far.

IMPROVEMENTS
- Fixes iPhone "Coma"
- Fixes iPhone network reception problems
- Some reports of better 3G signal strength
- Comes with AT&T Carrier 5.6
- Speeds up MMS sending
- Allows VoIP over 3G
- Fixes audible SMS notification issues for some
- Improves Battery Life
- iPhone OS reportedly runs "smoother"
- Safari is snappier

BUGS
- SMS audible notification issues still remain for some

OTHER UNCLASSIFIABLE CHANGES
- AT&T Carrier 5.6 removes the section under "Usage" that keeps a record of Tethering Data.

From your list:

Improvements:

- Coma, I never had it but I know plenty of people who do and this seems to have fixed it.

- Network reception issues, THIS ANNOYED THE HELL OUT OF ME. Full bars, 3G, no data. Calls and SMS etc were fine but no data at all unless I reset the phone. 3.1.2 DID NOT FIX IT. I had to restore and set up as a new phone to solve the problem. The problem seems to be 100% solved though.

- Better 3G signal strength, haven't noticed any different but it's usually full bars most places I go anyway.

- AT&T Carrier 5.6, not applicable. I'm an Aussie, we have 5 different networks offering the phone and Apple sell them outright unlocked. My last carrier update was on June 17th when they enabled MMS.

- SMS notifications, THIS IS NEW. Just noticed today that my phone just vibrates sometimes instead of chiming. I'll have to keep an eye on it.

- Improves battery life, yup, seems to last longer.

- OS runs "smoother", yup, DRAMATICALLY. My app launch times feel like they've been cut in half and they don't seem to stutter any more. Simple games like Wurdle don't feel like they're choking any more.

- Safari is "snappier", it always is.

Kahnyl

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
Skype still tells me I need to use Wifi. If this change is just for AT&T customers, how did they do it? I got this Skype app from the US store so it's not based on that. Anyone know?

war eagle

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Skype still tells me I need to use Wifi. If this change is just for AT&T customers, how did they do it? I got this Skype app from the US store so it's not based on that. Anyone know?

I don't think Skype has updated yet.

dborja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
Northern California
Ive noticed on my end itunes syncs and backs up my phone a lot faster than it did on any other firmwares. It may be because I have less apps, but everything is moving a lot faster in itunes.

+1, same with my 2G iPod Touch

Battery also lasts longer.

Oh yes, and the obligatory, Safari seems snappier...:p

NekoFever

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2005
Smart playlists are still broken, as they were in 3.1. I have to turn off live updating in iTunes for when I sync to get them to show up in the correct order.

iWally

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2008
I've tried sending MMS texts and they are not completing for some reason. I have them enabled. Any guesses as to what I'm doing wrong?

Kahnyl

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
Smart playlists are still broken, as they were in 3.1. I have to turn off live updating in iTunes for when I sync to get them to show up in the correct order.

A workaround is adding the line "Playlist is Music" to every smart playlist. Fixed all of mine.

Davidtrippy

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2008
Still did not fix the Photo bug for me.

The bug where even though my camera roll is empty it shows that is has 4 pictures when technically it does not...

dborja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
Northern California
I've tried sending MMS texts and they are not completing for some reason. I have them enabled. Any guesses as to what I'm doing wrong?

Call AT&T. It could be that they don't have the correct IMEI in their database. Mine came up ok right away but my wife's didn't. I called and, as soon as they corrected the IMEI entry on their side, it worked immediately.

Sparky9292

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2004
- Fixes iPhone "Coma"

This has pissed me off to no end. I've missed calls from clients because the stupid phone decided to "deep sleep" requiring a hard reboot in some cases. And with a full battery.

3.1.x so far has been a disaster with dropped calls and phone coma...:mad:

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
This has pissed me off to no end. I've missed calls from clients because the stupid phone decided to "deep sleep" requiring a hard reboot in some cases. And with a full battery.

3.1.x so far has been a disaster with dropped calls and phone coma...:mad:

does 3.1.2 fix it for u?

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
I am getting more sleep/wake issues with 3.1.2 than I was with the previous firmware. When I push the home button once to wake, it does nothing, when I push it a second time it wakes up with the iPod player coming up (this tells me it is reading a double push).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.