Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Oct 11, 2009, 05:28 PM   #1
newbie07
macrumors newbie

Found IPhone at airport in Europe and need to unlock passcode- help please

Hi-
My Uncle who knows nothing about technology found an Iphone at the airport in Switzerland. He mailed me the iphone he found thinking i could use it. Right now the phone is in another language and the passcode is screen is locked. I've been trying to lookout how to unlock the passcode but it's not working for me? Any suggestions on how to unlock the passcode and also change it to English? Thanks
newbie07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2009, 05:37 PM   #2
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God

GLWT. Try returning it.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 05:39 PM   #3
SpaceKitty
Banned

You won't get any help with the phone since it is not yours. You may as well try to find the owner.
SpaceKitty is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2009, 05:43 PM   #4
Night Spring
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceKitty View Post
You won't get any help with the phone since it is not yours. You may as well try to find the owner.
How is the OP supposed to find the owner, if the phone is password-locked?
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2009, 05:46 PM   #5
SpaceKitty
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Spring View Post
By returning it back to the airport to the lost and found.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 05:46 PM   #6
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Spring View Post
Take it to an Apple Store, or at least telephone one, or hand it in to the police. Frankly, the OP's uncle is a bit of a twat.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 05:47 PM   #7
Dagless
macrumors Core

If the owner is smart he/she'll contact their network provider and get the IMEI blocked. All you can do is hand it in to the police or the airport.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 05:52 PM   #8
jav6454
macrumors G5

At this point, I highly doubt returning it would do any good (time from being found, time from being sent to the US). Still, I would not suggest using that iPhone. I'm sure can conduct a search.

Even though I think try returning would not do anything I think the best thing is to Ccll Apple, give them the Serial, try to get a hold of the owner. Do not accept no for an answer.

Try an decipher the language, maybe that gives you a clue what language and hence what country the iPhone is from.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 05:56 PM   #9
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunk View Post
Take it to an Apple Store, or at least telephone one, or hand it in to the police. Frankly, the OP's uncle is a bit of a twat.
You do kind of wonder why mailing it to your nephew overseas would seem like the right thing to do to someone...
Old Oct 11, 2009, 06:55 PM   #10
sfditty
macrumors regular

Of course if the owner has mobileme and it was a 3G(S), they might already know where their stolen iPhone is.
sfditty is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2009, 06:56 PM   #11
SpaceKitty
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfditty View Post
Of course if the owner has mobileme and it was a 3G(S), they might already know where their stolen iPhone is.
And of course the police could be showing up soon if that is the case.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 07:22 PM   #12
instaxgirl
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunk View Post
Frankly, the OP's uncle is a bit of a twat.
My thoughts exactly. Also, if it's not obvious by now, you totally chose the wrong forum for this OP.
instaxgirl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2009, 09:33 PM   #13
ihonda
macrumors 65816

i will buy it for $250.00 USD
ihonda is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2009, 09:54 PM   #14
sfditty
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihonda View Post
i will buy it for $250.00 USD
The person who has it isn't the owner and apparently hasn't made even a minimal, common sense, due diligence attempt to get it back to the owner. I didn't realize that buying/selling hot, or otherwise having fallen off the back of the truck, merchandise was allowed here.
sfditty is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2009, 05:16 AM   #15
steve-p
macrumors 68000

Hmmm, if I lost my phone and the finder didn't even try to return it or hand it in and I subsequently found out where it was, I would pay them a visit to 'discuss' it on principle no matter where it was
steve-p is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2009, 08:04 AM   #16
purly
macrumors newbie

If you bring it to the carrier for the country in question, they can probably figure out the owner from the SIM card and send it to them.
purly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2009, 10:02 AM   #17
NSK123
macrumors regular

seriously guys why are you all so holy?

If he'd returned it to the airport the owner would've obviously never got it, employees stick things like that into their own pockets.

How the hell is it a good idea for him to turn it in to a police station in the U.S? Do you really believe cops in america is going to actually return a foreign phone found in a foreign airport to it's owner? come on! get real.. The cops are just gonna pocket it.

The phone is locked and thousands of miles away from it's owner, Dude just restore it, if you're lucky it might not be carrier locked, if it is, you might get lucky with some yellowsn0w.

Either way I think some of you guys are being pretty irrational and no the police is not going to show up to his house because of a lost and found mobile phone.. seriously what's up with the fear mongering?

Finders, keepers...
NSK123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2009, 10:04 AM   #18
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

I believe there is still a weird glitch in the phone where you can access your favorite numbers by double tapping the home button from the unlock screen. Or something like that. Do that, call a number and give the phone back.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2009, 10:49 AM   #19
sparrky
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSK123 View Post
Finders, keepers...
If you lose something valuable I hope the finder shares your fantastic morals.

Anyway, you're wrong. Airport employees will not pocket it. The police will not pocket it. Most often they will make every effort to find the rightful owner. Not everyone in the entire world is a thief. I work for an airline and am constantly amazed at how many people will turn in large sums of CASH hoping to get it back to the rightful owner. And every time we get a valuable item turned in, we have always been able to find the owner and return it.

Sorry to break it to you, but your dishonesty is fortunately the minority from what I've seen. OP and OP's uncle obviously excluded.
sparrky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2009, 11:45 AM   #20
iPhoneVic
macrumors regular

Send a message via Yahoo to iPhoneVic Send a message via Skype™ to iPhoneVic
if it

has a SIM card in it remove it and put it in another phone...that way you'll at least get the phone number
iPhoneVic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2009, 12:03 PM   #21
macfearless
macrumors regular

go ahead and roast the man for the simplest of questions.... geez, it pains me sometimes to even read these posts.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 06:41 PM   #22
Bruce Lee
macrumors newbie

quick, sell it on ebay!
Bruce Lee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2009, 10:23 PM   #23
John T
macrumors 68020

I wonder how these dishonest idiots would feel if it was theiir iPhone that had been lost?
John T is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2009, 01:10 AM   #24
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrky View Post
If you lose something valuable I hope the finder shares your fantastic morals.

Anyway, you're wrong. Airport employees will not pocket it. The police will not pocket it. Most often they will make every effort to find the rightful owner. Not everyone in the entire world is a thief. I work for an airline and am constantly amazed at how many people will turn in large sums of CASH hoping to get it back to the rightful owner. And every time we get a valuable item turned in, we have always been able to find the owner and return it.

Sorry to break it to you, but your dishonesty is fortunately the minority from what I've seen. OP and OP's uncle obviously excluded.
And had the uncle returned it to the airport in the first place, we wouldn't even be having this discussion. I'm sure the poor sap who lost it called the airport, and they said, "no, we haven't had an iPhone turned in to the lost and found," all because of the crappy uncle.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 08:23 AM   #25
rjohnstone
macrumors 68030

What makes any of you think a police department in the U.S. is going to give a darn about a phone found in a Swiss airport?
It will get tossed into a box and then sold at auction a year later. The police don't try and find rightful owners of lost cell phones, they have better things to do with their time.

Either send it back to your uncle and have him return it to the airport where he found it or do like 99.9999% of the members here would do.
Wipe it and keep it for yourself.
rjohnstone is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting