Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
I have a macbook pro from 2007

Its running 10.4.11 - the system it came with.

I have had no real reason to upgrade the OS because i have been happily running Adobe CS4 with no issues, and using my other programs without a hitch.. But now there is one. I need Quickbooks 2010 for bookkeeping and it only works with systems 10.5 and above!

I was wondering.. is it possible for me to upgrade to 10.5.6 using my system disk that came with my imac? Or will that not work?

I really dont need to do a full upgrade to snow leopard, but it seems that its actually cheaper to go to the most recent than it is to go the leopard.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated..

Oh yea, and I read an article that said that the snow leopard $30 upgrade works on all intel based computers, obviously thats not entirely within the user agreement.. but do you loose all of your iwork and ilife programs? Or can you keep our existing ones using this/

ian.maffett

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2008
Florida
No, you won't be able to use a different system disk with your MBP. You will only be able to use a retail disk.
Oh, and, Yes - you lose ilife/iwork with the retail SL upgrade as full install.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
I have a macbook pro from 2007

Its running 10.4.11 - the system it came with.

I have had no real reason to upgrade the OS because i have been happily running Adobe CS4 with no issues, and using my other programs without a hitch.. But now there is one. I need Quickbooks 2010 for bookkeeping and it only works with systems 10.5 and above!

I was wondering.. is it possible for me to upgrade to 10.5.6 using my system disk that came with my imac? Or will that not work?

I really dont need to do a full upgrade to snow leopard, but it seems that its actually cheaper to go to the most recent than it is to go the leopard.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated..

Oh yea, and I read an article that said that the snow leopard $30 upgrade works on all intel based computers, obviously thats not entirely within the user agreement.. but do you loose all of your iwork and ilife programs? Or can you keep our existing ones using this/

No, a system disk from one machine will not work in a different type of machine.

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
So since i have ilive (i dont have iwork) If i install the $30 upgrade, i will have the system upgrade but no working versions of iLife / iWork?

I am trying to let go of iLife.. i never use it since i have finalcut pro and CS4... theres some weird attachment issues with it.

One more question.. On my iMac, which is running 10.5.6 - if i upgrade, do i get ilife and iwork? Or only if you had it to start would it stay?? He also has ilife but no iwork...

Cboss

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2008
Colorado
By upgrading you don't lose iLife. It's not on the retail Leopard or Snow Leopard disks, but you can install it from the grey system disks that came with your Mac.

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
It's not on the retail Leopard or Snow Leopard disks, but you can install it from the grey system disks that came with your Mac.

What?

I also just had another thought which, after some googling, has me worried. I have Microsoft Office 2004. I NEED it for many things, especially excel. I refuse to upgrade because of the ridiculous prices and well, 2004 works just fine for what I need it for.

It seems that to run Office 04 on Snow Leopard, you need to run a program in the "other installations" folder ont he OS disk called Rosetta. Well, if i do a $30 upgrade, will I get this? I really REALLY need those programs.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
What?

I also just had another thought which, after some googling, has me worried. I have Microsoft Office 2004. I NEED it for many things, especially excel. I refuse to upgrade because of the ridiculous prices and well, 2004 works just fine for what I need it for.

It seems that to run Office 04 on Snow Leopard, you need to run a program in the "other installations" folder ont he OS disk called Rosetta. Well, if i do a $30 upgrade, will I get this? I really REALLY need those programs.

Yes, rosetta is on the SL disk, as an optional install.

What they were saying about iLife is that it wont be on the SL disk, but you can reinstall it from your tiger system disk after you've upgraded. Of course, if you just use the basic upgrade option on the SL disk, nothing will be deleted and all your apps will still be there anyways.

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
Yeah, just get the $29 Snow Leopard "upgrade" and go straight to 10.6. You will not lose iLife so long as you don't do an erase and install. Rosetta is on the SL disk and even if you don't install it, if you try to run a PPC app I believe you will get a dialog asking if you want to install it, then it automatically downloads from Apple.

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
Ohh ok. I understand now> So i wont LOOSE ilife, it just will not upgrade. Thats ok with me.

Now.. the 2004 office issue seems to be kind of a non issue now, since rosetta should make it work.. or least make it usable.

So i should be 100% fine using the $30 upgrade to get my operating system up to date so that I can run Quickbooks 2010??

Basically the backbone programs of my computer are

Adobe CS Master Collection
Mail
Firefox
Microsoft Office
Final Cut pro 5.0
Live Type 2.0

as long as those guys will work, I will be ok. One of these days I will upgrade my MBP to a mac pro, but until then, i have to deal with what i have.. and this whole upgrade thing has been going nuts.

mgridgaway

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2006
Ohh ok. I understand now> So i wont LOOSE ilife, it just will not upgrade. Thats ok with me.

Now.. the 2004 office issue seems to be kind of a non issue now, since rosetta should make it work.. or least make it usable.

So i should be 100% fine using the $30 upgrade to get my operating system up to date so that I can run Quickbooks 2010??

Basically the backbone programs of my computer are

Adobe CS Master Collection
Mail
Firefox
Microsoft Office
Final Cut pro 5.0
Live Type 2.0

as long as those guys will work, I will be ok. One of these days I will upgrade my MBP to a mac pro, but until then, i have to deal with what i have.. and this whole upgrade thing has been going nuts.

Yes.

Palladium

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2006
Northern Ireland, UK
plus ca meme chose

As far as I can see, there is one point that no one has made. On your 2007 Intel MacBook pro you have always been running Office 2004 using Rosetta. Office 2007 is not "universal" (able to run on PPC or Intel). It does not contain intel code so it has to be run using Rosetta. The difference with SL is that the inclusion of Rosetta is now optional. If all your applications are universal you don't need Rosetta and have been given the option not to have it included.
I can confirm Office 2004 runs just fine with SL. Go ahead all will be OK.

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
AWESOME!!! thank you so much for the help and clarification guys.. I have ordered my $30 upgrade for mine and my hubby's computer.. actually, it was osmething like $25 because we got the family pack. We have 4 mac computers that could use the upgrade, so why not.. it was cheaper than buying two.

Also just ordered my Quickbooks for Mac.. i have been running in QB 6 (from 2003) which is HORRIBLE!! I am excited to see what 2010 brings. Supposedly more "mac-like"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.