Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Product Recommendations/Reviews

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 17, 2004, 11:41 AM   #1
jackieonasses
macrumors 6502a
 
jackieonasses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: the great OKLAHOMA....
Send a message via AIM to jackieonasses
The Thinkpad encryption chip, does it work?

I searched the forums, but i couldn't find anything on the new Thinkpad's chip that somehow encrypts on the fly. I will never buy one but i was curious after seeing countless comercials about how it prevents hackers and what-not. Is that Windows soultion? or is it another one of those marketing gimmicks?

Just curious!
jackieonasses is offline   0
Old Jul 17, 2004, 11:49 AM   #2
stoid
macrumors 68040
 
stoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: So long, and thanks for all the fish!
I don't see how this is different than the AirPort WEP Encryption idea. It has to be a standard. You can't send encrypted data to a source that can't decrypt it, so I don't think that this is something new or revolutionary.
stoid is offline   0
Old Jul 17, 2004, 12:14 PM   #3
jackieonasses
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
jackieonasses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: the great OKLAHOMA....
Send a message via AIM to jackieonasses
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoid
I don't see how this is different than the AirPort WEP Encryption idea. It has to be a standard. You can't send encrypted data to a source that can't decrypt it, so I don't think that this is something new or revolutionary.
That is completley what i thought. thanks for the response.
jackieonasses is offline   0
Old Jul 20, 2004, 09:35 AM   #4
flanders
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Atlanta, GA
The thinkpad encryption chip is for the hard disk. Everything on the disk is encrypted by the hardware and when read back through the same hardware (with the same key) it's decrypted and the computer can use it. If someone were to take your laptop (and not your password) they couldn't boot up...then if they just tried to take your HD and use it in a computer that would boot up they still couldn't use your software or see any data; because the disk is still encrypted.

Oh...and it does work
__________________
17" MBP 2.16 Core Duo
One of the REAL pro machines! I got ports on BOTH sides...You?
I'm just sayin'.
flanders is offline   0
Old Jul 20, 2004, 11:13 AM   #5
Chip NoVaMac
macrumors G3
 
Chip NoVaMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Northern Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
The thinkpad encryption chip is for the hard disk. Everything on the disk is encrypted by the hardware and when read back through the same hardware (with the same key) it's decrypted and the computer can use it. If someone were to take your laptop (and not your password) they couldn't boot up...then if they just tried to take your HD and use it in a computer that would boot up they still couldn't use your software or see any data; because the disk is still encrypted.

Oh...and it does work
Sounds like OS X's File Vault.
__________________
It is fast approaching the point where I don't want to elect anyone stupid enough to want the job. - Bombeck
Chip NoVaMac is offline   0
Old Jul 20, 2004, 11:34 AM   #6
musicpyrite
macrumors 68000
 
musicpyrite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Cape Cod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip NoVaMac
Sounds like OS X's File Vault.
Sort of, but the encryption chip is a physical chip that encrypts it, File vault is software.


Isn't the encryption chip in the mother board? I remember looking at a mobo, and the RIAA was getting their panties all in a wad about it because it would prevent peple from knowing if you had illegallly downloaded muisc, I don't exactly know how it works.....
__________________
For SCIENCE!!
musicpyrite is offline   0
Old Jul 21, 2004, 04:21 AM   #7
iNetwork
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: New Mexico
Send a message via ICQ to iNetwork Send a message via AIM to iNetwork
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicpyrite
Sort of, but the encryption chip is a physical chip that encrypts it, File vault is software.


Isn't the encryption chip in the mother board? I remember looking at a mobo, and the RIAA was getting their panties all in a wad about it because it would prevent peple from knowing if you had illegallly downloaded muisc, I don't exactly know how it works.....
Instead of using your computer's processor, a dedicated encryption processor is used to encrypt/decrypt the data. This way already slow laptop hard drive performance isn't decreased any further. It also frees your main processor to do other tasks and doesn't require additional ram to load any software.

In the corporate storage environment, raid 5 arrays likewise use a dedicated processor to handle the XOR calls for parity.
iNetwork is offline   0


 
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Product Recommendations/Reviews

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Woo hoo, Chip & PIN (EMV, Chip Cards, etc) FINALLY IN THE US, and WORKING dontwalkhand Community Discussion 48 Sep 4, 2014 03:34 PM
iPhone: IOS Encryption With Third Party Encryption iamakasmalls Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 0 Aug 21, 2013 08:35 PM
What games work the best for the new A6 chip for iphone 5? The Game 161 iPhone and iPod touch Apps 4 Oct 25, 2012 08:06 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:30 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC