Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Product Recommendations/Reviews

Old Jul 17, 2004, 11:41 AM   #1
jackieonasses
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to jackieonasses
The Thinkpad encryption chip, does it work?

I searched the forums, but i couldn't find anything on the new Thinkpad's chip that somehow encrypts on the fly. I will never buy one but i was curious after seeing countless comercials about how it prevents hackers and what-not. Is that Windows soultion? or is it another one of those marketing gimmicks?

Just curious!
jackieonasses is offline   0
Old Jul 17, 2004, 11:49 AM   #2
stoid
macrumors 68040

I don't see how this is different than the AirPort WEP Encryption idea. It has to be a standard. You can't send encrypted data to a source that can't decrypt it, so I don't think that this is something new or revolutionary.
stoid is offline   0
Old Jul 17, 2004, 12:14 PM   #3
jackieonasses
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to jackieonasses
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoid
I don't see how this is different than the AirPort WEP Encryption idea. It has to be a standard. You can't send encrypted data to a source that can't decrypt it, so I don't think that this is something new or revolutionary.
That is completley what i thought. thanks for the response.
jackieonasses is offline   0
Old Jul 20, 2004, 09:35 AM   #4
flanders
macrumors member

The thinkpad encryption chip is for the hard disk. Everything on the disk is encrypted by the hardware and when read back through the same hardware (with the same key) it's decrypted and the computer can use it. If someone were to take your laptop (and not your password) they couldn't boot up...then if they just tried to take your HD and use it in a computer that would boot up they still couldn't use your software or see any data; because the disk is still encrypted.

Oh...and it does work
flanders is offline   0
Old Jul 20, 2004, 11:13 AM   #5
Chip NoVaMac
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
The thinkpad encryption chip is for the hard disk. Everything on the disk is encrypted by the hardware and when read back through the same hardware (with the same key) it's decrypted and the computer can use it. If someone were to take your laptop (and not your password) they couldn't boot up...then if they just tried to take your HD and use it in a computer that would boot up they still couldn't use your software or see any data; because the disk is still encrypted.

Oh...and it does work
Sounds like OS X's File Vault.
Old Jul 20, 2004, 11:34 AM   #6
musicpyrite
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip NoVaMac
Sounds like OS X's File Vault.
Sort of, but the encryption chip is a physical chip that encrypts it, File vault is software.

Isn't the encryption chip in the mother board? I remember looking at a mobo, and the RIAA was getting their panties all in a wad about it because it would prevent peple from knowing if you had illegallly downloaded muisc, I don't exactly know how it works.....
Old Jul 21, 2004, 04:21 AM   #7
iNetwork
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iNetwork Send a message via AIM to iNetwork
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicpyrite
Sort of, but the encryption chip is a physical chip that encrypts it, File vault is software.

Isn't the encryption chip in the mother board? I remember looking at a mobo, and the RIAA was getting their panties all in a wad about it because it would prevent peple from knowing if you had illegallly downloaded muisc, I don't exactly know how it works.....
Instead of using your computer's processor, a dedicated encryption processor is used to encrypt/decrypt the data. This way already slow laptop hard drive performance isn't decreased any further. It also frees your main processor to do other tasks and doesn't require additional ram to load any software.

In the corporate storage environment, raid 5 arrays likewise use a dedicated processor to handle the XOR calls for parity.
iNetwork is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Product Recommendations/Reviews