Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Jul 17, 2004, 02:54 PM   #1
TGF
macrumors newbie

Ipod in foreign countries

Hi Guys,

Seems like a silly question, but better to be say than sorry i'spose... I am from the Uk and an going to Europe next week and would like to take my iPod with me. I have a standard power adapter that you can buy from any hardware store. Will this be ok to plug the iPod into this to charge? I'm only worried because I've seen that Apple do a "World Traveller Kit" which made me think that perhaps I would need a special one.... its not going to harm the ipod to use a normal adapter, is it??

I would be really grateful if anyone could help me on this one!
Thanks
Tim
TGF is offline   0
Old Jul 17, 2004, 03:04 PM   #2
Dreadnought
macrumors 68000

Well, I live in the Netherlands and our voltage is 220 Volts, and we have round pins to plug in the wall socket. The same is in Belgium, France, Germany, Tsjech Republic and Greece. Other countries, haven't been there, so wouldn't know. These are different (if I remember correctly) then the British sockets. You have square pins. The power adapter from Apple is unversal, the only difference is the pins that you can pull off the adapter. So when you buy a pin exchange thingy/device it should work just fine. Hope this answers your question!

Last edited by Dreadnought; Jul 17, 2004 at 03:09 PM.
Dreadnought is offline   0
Old Jul 17, 2004, 03:09 PM   #3
ecche
macrumors regular

absolutely no problem. just use your standard ipod cable and any adapter for foreign wall sockets.
ecche is offline   0
Old Jul 17, 2004, 05:13 PM   #4
m.r.m.
macrumors regular

the ipod ac adaptor ranges 110-240V. so all you need is a plug to make it fit into whatever wall socket. these plugs can be obtained in the respective country for the equivalent of $1-3.

Last edited by m.r.m.; Jul 19, 2004 at 05:15 PM.
m.r.m. is offline   0
Old Jul 17, 2004, 06:10 PM   #5
Jalexster
macrumors 6502a

Or you can buy a set of every plug you need from Apple. All the World Travvel kit is, it a bunch of replacement plugs for the iBook charger, iPod charger, PowerBook charger, and the AirPort Express (Plugs are interchangeable).

You could buy it, because it does give you everything you need.

And one last thing, most devices these days will run on 110-240 volts, which is the whole comsumer spectrum in every country, so all you need is a plug adaptor. However, some devices, will only run on one specific voltage range, and will get fried if you plug them into the wrong kind of socket. For those, you will need a transformer. I have no idea where to buy them, but they exist.
Jalexster is offline   0
Old Jul 17, 2004, 09:24 PM   #6
Macmaniac
macrumors 68040

Location: A tiny spec in the "Garden State", 1 square mile in area, somewhere on the outskirts of town by the railroad tracks
You could use the Apple travel kit, but I bet it would be cheaper to find travel adapters form a store that sells travel supplies and buy the adapter that converts UK plugs into whatever country you go to. This way at least other electronic devices can be used as well.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers