Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TGF

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2004
Hi Guys,

Seems like a silly question, but better to be say than sorry i'spose... I am from the Uk and an going to Europe next week and would like to take my iPod with me. I have a standard power adapter that you can buy from any hardware store. Will this be ok to plug the iPod into this to charge? I'm only worried because I've seen that Apple do a "World Traveller Kit" which made me think that perhaps I would need a special one.... its not going to harm the ipod to use a normal adapter, is it??

I would be really grateful if anyone could help me on this one!
Thanks
Tim

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
Well, I live in the Netherlands and our voltage is 220 Volts, and we have round pins to plug in the wall socket. The same is in Belgium, France, Germany, Tsjech Republic and Greece. Other countries, haven't been there, so wouldn't know. These are different (if I remember correctly) then the British sockets. You have square pins. The power adapter from Apple is unversal, the only difference is the pins that you can pull off the adapter. So when you buy a pin exchange thingy/device it should work just fine. Hope this answers your question!

m.r.m.

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2003
Germany
the ipod ac adaptor ranges 110-240V. so all you need is a plug to make it fit into whatever wall socket. these plugs can be obtained in the respective country for the equivalent of $1-3.

Jalexster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2004
Or you can buy a set of every plug you need from Apple. All the World Travvel kit is, it a bunch of replacement plugs for the iBook charger, iPod charger, PowerBook charger, and the AirPort Express (Plugs are interchangeable).

You could buy it, because it does give you everything you need.

And one last thing, most devices these days will run on 110-240 volts, which is the whole comsumer spectrum in every country, so all you need is a plug adaptor. However, some devices, will only run on one specific voltage range, and will get fried if you plug them into the wrong kind of socket. For those, you will need a transformer. I have no idea where to buy them, but they exist.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.