Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
I've read a lot of mixed things about the ability to do a clean installation of Windows 7 Upgrade. I have a license that can be legitimately upgraded to Windows 7 but I would prefer not to have to install Vista on the machine prior to doing the Windows 7 upgrade.

Anyone have any info/advice on this? I am running the Win 7 pre-release Beta currently but since I plan on getting a new iMac in the not too distant future I would prefer to just do a fresh install off of my Windows 7 Upgrade media when I get it.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I've read a lot of mixed things about the ability to do a clean installation of Windows 7 Upgrade. I have a license that can be legitimately upgraded to Windows 7 but I would prefer not to have to install Vista on the machine prior to doing the Windows 7 upgrade.

Anyone have any info/advice on this? I am running the Win 7 pre-release Beta currently but since I plan on getting a new iMac in the not too distant future I would prefer to just do a fresh install off of my Windows 7 Upgrade media when I get it.

I'm not sure we'll really know for sure until folks start getting the upgrade media in their hands. What hoops does Microsoft have in store for us to jump through....

I've installed RTM on bare metal from the TechNet ISO images and it works fine. I got a "free" copy of 7 Ultimate 32 bit from attending a developers launch event and used the key from that with a 64 bit image from TechNet and it worked just fine.

The fact that very many folks will not actually be able to do an in-place upgrade (as they skipped Vista and only have XP) seems to imply that custom, clean installs from upgrade media will be more "encouraged" this time around.

If nothing else, the Vista Upgrade clean install workaround should still work: Install Windows 7 from the upgrade CD without entering your product key, then upgrade from 7 to 7 with your key. Otherwise, you may also just be able to use your key with one of the TechNet/MSDN/MSDNAA ISOs, just find someone who is wiling to share.

B

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
I'm not sure we'll really know for sure until folks start getting the upgrade media in their hands. What hoops does Microsoft have in store for us to jump through....

I've installed RTM on bare metal from the TechNet ISO images and it works fine. I got a "free" copy of 7 Ultimate 32 bit from attending a developers launch event and used the key from that with a 64 bit image from TechNet and it worked just fine.

The fact that very many folks will not actually be able to do an in-place upgrade (as they skipped Vista and only have XP) seems to imply that custom, clean installs from upgrade media will be more "encouraged" this time around.

If nothing else, the Vista Upgrade clean install workaround should still work: Install Windows 7 from the upgrade CD without entering your product key, then upgrade from 7 to 7 with your key. Otherwise, you may also just be able to use your key with one of the TechNet/MSDN/MSDNAA ISOs, just find someone who is wiling to share.

B

That's a good idea actually. I really just need to get ahold of the media and using my key should pose no problem. Thanks.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
That's a good idea actually. I really just need to get ahold of the media and using my key should pose no problem. Thanks.

We'll see for sure next week.

I did just read over at sevenforums that the upgrade over trial method is not expected to work on 7. Too bad. Once I get my retail upgrades you'll be sure I'll be installing them on my remaining XP/Vista boxes and experimenting with the ways to get a clean install.

EDIT:

Sheesh. They are apparently making the whole process quite a bit more painful. The previous OS must be both installed and activated. http://community.winsupersite.com/b...upgrade-media-how-does-that-work-exactly.aspx

I sure hope my upgrade product keys will work with the TechNet discs I have. Otherwise I have faith that some other workaround will be found. I HATE upgrade installs (of Windows) with a passion.

B

lali

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2007

Hello

Please correct me if I am wrong. I understand Windows 7 requires an NTFS-formatted drive to install. With Boot Camp and Disk Utility, I am unable to format a partition in NTFS on my Imac. I have tried everything.

Does anyone have advice on this? Sincerely

François

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
@ lali: Boot Camp Assistant is only responsible for creating the partition. The formatting is done by the Windows install DVD. Please read over the Boot Camp setup guide for the applicable steps. Note that Windows 7 via Boot Camp isn't supported by AppleCare yet, only Windows XP and Vista are, but the steps are pretty much the same...

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007

I did just read over at sevenforums that the upgrade over trial method is not expected to work on 7. Too bad. Once I get my retail upgrades you'll be sure I'll be installing them on my remaining XP/Vista boxes and experimenting with the ways to get a clean install.

EDIT:

Sheesh. They are apparently making the whole process quite a bit more painful. The previous OS must be both installed and activated. http://community.winsupersite.com/b...upgrade-media-how-does-that-work-exactly.aspx

I sure hope my upgrade product keys will work with the TechNet discs I have. Otherwise I have faith that some other workaround will be found. I HATE upgrade installs (of Windows) with a passion.

B

Thanks for the update. If you find out anything else prior to launch please reply back to this thread. I am going to cancel my very cheap pre-order and wait to get an OEM copy if I will be unable to install with my upgrade key and the full installation media. There's no way that I am going to jump through these kind of hoops just to keep the dorks in Redmond happy.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C144 Safari/528.16)

jmpage2 said:

EDIT:

B

Thanks for the update. If you find out anything else prior to launch please reply back to this thread. I am going to cancel my very cheap pre-order and wait to get an OEM copy if I will be unable to install with my upgrade key and the full installation media. There's no way that I am going to jump through these kind of hoops just to keep the dorks in Redmond happy.

I'm keeping my 3 cheap 50% off preordered retail licenses. I will experiment with my $49 home premium and keep the two professional licenses aside until I know what's up.

They should still be worth something more than 50 % off to someone.

If I'm lucky amazon will ship preorders early!

B

rth231

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
As a student I can get Windows 7 Home Premium or Professional from Microsoft for $29.99 but it's an upgrade copy... (http://www.win741.com)

I don't want to buy it if that "install as trial" loophole is closed cause then it will be pointless to me. Is someone going to try this tomorrow and post if it's possible?

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
My pre-order has already shipped so I should know soon enough if I can install the upgrade key with the regular media.

jazzagers

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2009
I purchased an upgrade copy of windows vista from my college and it worked just fine in boot camp. Hope the same goes for windows 7.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
I purchased an upgrade copy of windows vista from my college and it worked just fine in boot camp. Hope the same goes for windows 7.

There was a workaround/loophole for Vista installation that allowed for the clean install of Vista using upgrade media.

Apparently this loop hole on the upgrade media for Windows 7 has been closed.

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
Apparently this loop hole on the upgrade media for Windows 7 has been closed.

I have not heard about this. Do you have verification? Microsoft supported this method of a clean install with Vista. It wasn't really considered a loophole.

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
I have not heard about this. Do you have verification? Microsoft supported this method of a clean install with Vista. It wasn't really considered a loophole.

Actually, I just got verification (buddy installing Windows 7 upgrade right now) that you can install Windows 7 Upgrade clean without a key and when you get to a desktop, you can enter the key included with the upgrade media and it will activate. EVEN BETTER! One less step.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Actually, I just got verification (buddy installing Windows 7 upgrade right now) that you can install Windows 7 Upgrade clean without a key and when you get to a desktop, you can enter the key included with the upgrade media and it will activate. EVEN BETTER! One less step.

That's good news. So despite Microsoft saying for MONTHS that this would not be possible it still is?

There wasn't an activated Windows XP or Vista install on the buddy's HDD at the time was there?

So it seems that if you don't quite care to be 100% compliant with the licenses it's better to go upgrade instead of OEM, because your license will be more portable.

B

rth231

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
But did he have Vista or XP installed on the PC or did he do that on a machine with a blank hard drive?

EDIT: Woops... I should refresh the forum before I post. Same point as balamw, sorry...

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
That's good news. So despite Microsoft saying for MONTHS that this would not be possible it still is?

There wasn't an activated Windows XP or Vista install on the buddy's HDD at the time was there?

So it seems that if you don't quite care to be 100% compliant with the licenses it's better to go upgrade instead of OEM, because your license will be more portable.

B

It did have Vista but he chose custom installation and deleted the partition with the disk utility. That may or may not make a difference. Regardless, this new method was not possible even in Vista. You had to run through the installation again.

I got a full version of Windows 7 at a launch event, so I won't need to mess around with this upgrade/clean install stuff this time like I did with Vista.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Did you buy the family pack? That is a pretty decent deal. $150 for three Home Premium licenses.

No, but I did pre-order early. The kids get Home Premium for $49 and my Professional licenses were $99 each, so $250 for three. Too bad Amazon won't ship 'em until next week since I opted for free shipping.

B

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
No, but I did pre-order early. The kids get Home Premium for $49 and my Professional licenses were $99 each, so $250 for three. Too bad Amazon won't ship 'em until next week since I opted for free shipping.

B

I'm curious about Pro. I only ordered Home Premium since I use Windows 7 for very little these days, mostly just games under boot camp, etc.

What are the major advantages?

You should get the Amazon Prime program. All of my Amazon stuff gets shipped 2nd day, and for $3.99 per order I can get stuff over nighted. Seeing as I get dozens of things from Amazon every year it's a really good deal for me.

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
I'm curious about Pro. I only ordered Home Premium since I use Windows 7 for very little these days, mostly just games under boot camp, etc.

You should get the Amazon Prime program. All of my Amazon stuff gets shipped 2nd day, and for $3.99 per order I can get stuff over nighted. Seeing as I get dozens of things from Amazon every year it's a really good deal for me.

Not really too many major advantages for a home computer. A couple that may be applicable to a home user are:

- The Windows backup application supports backups to a network location on Professional edition, where Home edition only supports local attached media. Not that big of a deal since you can simply copy the backup to a remote location afterwards.

- Windows 7 Professional includes Windows XP mode for applications. This allows programs to run in a native XP environment. Windows XP mode installs Windows XP into a virtual machine and applications can be installed into that system, rather than the Windows 7 environment. It is for compatibility. Don't get this confused with Compatibility Mode. Compatibility mode tricks the application into thinking Windows 7 is a previous version of Windows. This is included with all versions of Windows.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
For me it's really just two things I need. VPN and Remote Desktop. I need to be able to connect to work and like to be able to control my computers over the network.

There are other things like more granular permissions on local files and shared folder, being able to join an Active Directory domain, caching of network credentials, ...

I order enough from Amazon that it would probably be worth it, but I am a cheapskate. :eek:

B

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
For me it's really just two things I need. VPN and Remote Desktop. I need to be able to connect to work and like to be able to control my computers over the network.

There are other things like more granular permissions on local files and shared folder, being able to join an Active Directory domain, caching of network credentials, ...

I order enough from Amazon that it would probably be worth it, but I am a cheapskate. :eek:

B

You can't run Remote Desktop from Windows 7 Home versions? Ick.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Not really too many major advantages for a home computer. A couple that may be applicable to a home user are:

- The Windows backup application supports backups to a network location on Professional edition, where Home edition only supports local attached media. Not that big of a deal since you can simply copy the backup to a remote location afterwards.

- Windows 7 Professional includes Windows XP mode for applications. This allows programs to run in a native XP environment. Windows XP mode installs Windows XP into a virtual machine and applications can be installed into that system, rather than the Windows 7 environment. It is for compatibility. Don't get this confused with Compatibility Mode. Compatibility mode tricks the application into thinking Windows 7 is a previous version of Windows. This is included with all versions of Windows.

Okay, thanks.

I actually have a WHS as my home network server and use it for all of my file serving and backup needs, and apparently Windows 7 is included with the latest service packs for WHS. So, I should be able to back it up that way if I chose to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.